Praying to God before opening the Bible?

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟888,175.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The idea that we have to pray to God before we open the Bible, for him to guide us, seems to me a bit strange. There is nothing wrong to pray for God's guidance in every given situation of course, but the Bible itself speaks to us. I don't believe that God will supernaturally guide us through the Bible because of a prayer anymore than if we don't pray. I think it's important to go deep into scripture see what it really says, there is nothing supernatural about that, and then God can really touch us. My thoughts, yours?

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟40,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The idea that we have to pray to God before we open the Bible, for him to guide us, seems to me a bit strange. There is nothing wrong to pray for God's guidance in every given situation of course, but the Bible itself speaks to us. I don't believe that God will supernaturally guide us through the Bible because of a prayer anymore than if we don't pray. I think it's important to go deep into scripture see what it really says, there is nothing supernatural about that, and then God can really touch us. My thoughts, yours?
If anyone opens the Bible with an agenda, they will find what they are looking for; but if the search the scriptures with a pure heart, they will fine WHO they are looking for.

Did not David Koresh teach from the Bible? I read that he studied Hebrew, travelled to Jerusalem seeking
a teacher. The Bible in the hands of a man with an agenda is obviously dangerous. Satan tried to tempt Yeshua by misquoting scripture. Jim Jones, every cult, every false teacher support their position with the Bible.
We must open the scriptures as an act of devotion, with one agenda, to literally learn to hear His Voice.
Then we, like Paul can say: "What I received from the Lord, I am presenting to you..."
1 Corinthians 11:23

A recommended prayer for devotions:
Psalm 119:18. Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,730,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I think there is something supernatural about it.

But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.
— 1 Corinthians 2:14

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟40,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I think there is something supernatural about it.

But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.
— 1 Corinthians 2:14
Luke 24:45. Then He opened their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟40,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Luke 24:45. Then He opened their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
2 Corinthians 3: TLV
14 But their minds were hardened. For up to this very day the same veil remains unlifted at
the reading of the ancient covenant, since in Messiah it is passing away.
15 But to this day, whenever Moses is read, a veil lies over their heart.
16 But whenever someone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.
17 Now the Lord is the Spirit and where the Ruach Adonai is, there is freedom.
18 But we all, with unveiled face beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being
transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I'm OK with it just as long as it doesn't go into some kind of random Urim and Thurim random page flipping thing. They have a name for that Bibliomancy. But it's a good thing to do, to pray for wisdom and guidance in your life.

I do get what your saying on studying it in depth etc. 1) Some of my best insights have come from listening to large quanties of the Bible from an audio format, Like Bible gateway has NIV and King James on audio if you hit the speaker icon. There are lots of things you can pick up that way, since people who teach chapter and verse, have such a narrow focus they don't see the overall context.

2) The meaning of Lexical words can be very revealing and can really debunk a lot of popular teachings that don't really have any real basis in the text, other than a person's interpretation of the Bible.

Upvote 0

Scottish Highlander

Reverend Pastor 1748
Jul 29, 2020
Rockingham, North Carolina
✟18,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Constitution
A family member of mine always said that when the Bible was opened, that was God's time. We would turn off the TV's, stop slouching in our chairs, turn off our electronics, talk quietly, tuck in our shirts, and gather around to hear the holy word. It wasn't something that was written in the Bible for one to do, but it was taken seriously. Even the table that the Bible sat on had to be sturdy. It was just the utmost respect for the Bible. They prayed too before opening the Bible as a way to get God's attention I assume. They prayed after as well and thanked him. It was quite odd to say the least but I sort of liked it. I assume that they thought that since a building wasn't a church and that anywhere was a church then that meant that when the Bible was opened, that was the "church" and you would have to be respectful like you were at church. I found this idea sort of interesting but the entire process was unnecessary. It felt like legalism. That, or I wasn't used to it. Perhaps my family members were trying to make the household holy? Perhaps modern things and modern attitudes didn't fit in with the Bible and they didn't want God to see that? I'm not sure. Anyways, that's my story.

Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟40,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I do get what your saying on studying it in depth etc. 1) Some of my best insights have come from listening to large quanties of the Bible from an audio format, Like Bible gateway has NIV and King James on audio if you hit the speaker icon. There are lots of things you can pick up that way, since people who teach chapter and verse, have such a narrow focus they don't see the overall context.
I will often read every scripture using a keyword study. Translators tend to use different English words for the same Hebrew, and even Greek, depending on context. This has definitely helped to gain a depth of insight.

• Useful
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...I don't believe that God will supernaturally guide us through the Bible because of a prayer anymore than if we don't pray. ...

I think prayer, or more precisely, God can help to understand scriptures correctly. The problem often seems to be that people, on their own, only see one sentence at the time. And that can lead person astray, if person don’t recognize all related scriptures that give the correct meaning for the scripture. And in that I think Holy Spirit is important guide, because it can show the correct meaning, even if person is not familiar with the whole Bible. And I think it is also good to know this promise:

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach; and it will be given to him.
James 1:5

…when he, the Spirit of truth, has come, he will guide you into all truth, for he will not speak from himself; but whatever he hears, he will speak. He will declare to you things that are coming.
John 16:13

I believe those, and I think God has shown to me the correct path, but I also agree that person can read the Bible without God.

Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

plain jayne

Aug 11, 2020
Louisiana
✟58,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I pray before I read.....most of the time. I pray for God bless the reading of his word and to show me what I don't know.

I don't consider that legalism and I sometimes "pray" the Bible. Portions of some of the Psalms are good for that.

I believe the Bible is God's word and should be read. What's wrong with praying before you read and asking God for guidance?

Upvote 0