Michigan
Visit site
✟2,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hey everyone :wave:

I just have a question for you all. I've been getting together with some people from my Bible study at college on Saturdays to pray the rosary in front of the planned parenthood in our town (it doesn't do abortions, but it makes referrals). One of my friends was telling me a conversation he had with someone else and how she didn't think it was a good idea and I wanted some input on this.

She said that she thought that it might appear judgemental towards women who have had abortions (although she acknowledged that wasn't intentional, it just happens). I think her biggest criticism was that someone would be unlikely to approach a group of people praying the rosary for help. I think this is a valid criticism to a certain extent. Our intentions are probably to raise a little more public awareness of the issue and we felt it was an effective method of protest. I never really thought of implications that it might turn some women who need help off of Christianity. I realize guilt is not necessarily a bad thing and I'm not sure if that really appears judgmental, but it very well could be.

I was wondering if anyone had any comments, suggestions, etc... that would address the above situation and whether or not you think it's a valid criticism and how to avoid it. Thanks a lot!

God bless

Orthodoxia

Divine
Aug 4, 2005
Earth.
✟7,916.00
Faith
Catholic
pax said:

I just have a question for you all. I've been getting together with some people from my Bible study at college on Saturdays to pray the rosary in front of the planned parenthood in our town (it doesn't do abortions, but it makes referrals). One of my friends was telling me a conversation he had with someone else and how she didn't think it was a good idea and I wanted some input on this.

She said that she thought that it might appear judgemental towards women who have had abortions (although she acknowledged that wasn't intentional, it just happens). I think her biggest criticism was that someone would be unlikely to approach a group of people praying the rosary for help. I think this is a valid criticism to a certain extent. Our intentions are probably to raise a little more public awareness of the issue and we felt it was an effective method of protest. I never really thought of implications that it might turn some women who need help off of Christianity. I realize guilt is not necessarily a bad thing and I'm not sure if that really appears judgmental, but it very well could be.

I was wondering if anyone had any comments, suggestions, etc... that would address the above situation and whether or not you think it's a valid criticism and how to avoid it. Thanks a lot!

God bless
Hi there! I have prayed outside Planned Parenthood and other abortion clinics too (my Planned Parenthood DOES do abortions). I have had difficulty with praying outside of Planned Parenthood, for reasons I will explain shortly, but not in the other places. At the other places, I have witnessed many, many women turn away because of our prayer vigils and counseling. We have saved many babies, and helped them be taken care of, and some of the women have even converted.

But the other places are strictly performing abortions at the time we pray, so you know that every woman who is going in there is going in for an abortion and not anything else. We also just stand there and pray and sing and don't yell at people or "protest" as it were, so we are more witnessing and praying, which I think turns people off less than protesting or yelling would. Plus the prayers are powerful.

My experience at Planned Parenthood is different. Many of the women there are going in with a different mindset: that they are concerned with how to deal with a pregnancy, unexpected or not, and they want counselling. So I feel uncomfortable with people who say automatically "don't go in there, they'll kill your baby", because these people may not understand because they're not coming here with that mindset.

That having been said, Planned Parenthood holds fundraisers to give poor women abortions! :eek: So we can't think it a totally innocent place (and know it is not). Thus, I find nothing wrong with handing out literature to people, informing them that abortions do go on there, and why they are wrong, and also praying (because the prayer is powerful). I don't care for the protesting though, and I do think protesting turns people off (as well as graphic pictures, but that's just my opinion).

To sum up, in my experience the combination of prayer for the sake of prayer and counseling the women, rather than prayer for the sake of protest is the way to go. If you're praying for the women, and trying to help them, how can that be judgemental? Yet if you're protesting, that can really be seen as judgemental. You may not be doing much different outwardly, but it could be a mindset that people can tell.

Upvote 0

pax

Veteran
Apr 3, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟2,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the response. When we go it's actually closed which is unfortunate since Saturday really is the only time we can do it and we do include the women and the unborn in our intentions, but we wanted to make it a public witness to the sanctity of human life as well. Because it's closed we're not in a very good position to prevent people from going in. I'd kind of like to get some kind of sign so people know that Planned Parenthood is the largest abortion provider in the US/explain why we are there (since we have to stand kind of far away from the building anyway just becuase of how the area's set up). I'll have to talk to some people when we get back to see what other opinions are. We've never done this before so we're kind of stumbling around in the dark as to what to do.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Deb7777

Oct 6, 2005
✟16,295.00
Faith
Catholic
pax said:

God bless
Hi Pax, God bless you, anytime someone prays in front of an abortion clinic or referral system like planned parenthood, you are doing women and babies and society a favor by invoking God's grace to touch hearts and save lifes as well as souls. From experience you will be a blessing and a curse to people, those who do not want to see or hear your message and those who will be touched. You can just pray the rosary, you can hand out literature, you can hand out a life-center business card if there is one in your area and you can share with those who might want to talk or challenge your postion, lots of things might come your way. Even though the planned parenthood is closed, God will use your prayers and effort for good, thank you for your witness, always good to be apart of a group in this warfare. A sign would be fine too, you have to see where the spirit is leading you in your witness at the center, God bless.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.