✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by isshinwhat
You still got a headache from yesterday, Ref. My eyes are still glazed and my vision is fuzzy. :) By the way... it was Mary's free choice. Mwa ha ha ha ha! j/k ;)

You're mad scientist laugh is very becoming!! :D  

In all seriousness, could you explain the Arminian line of thought to me, please?

Sorry, I don't subscribe to it so I couldn't begin to tell you the basis for it.  Or are you just asking that in referrence to my comment? 

God Bless,

Don

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Non nobis domine sed tuo nomine da gloriam
Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, it was a serious question. You had used it twice... no, Joe used it once and you used it, too, in a thread. I was just wondering what it was.

Neal

Well, I can't speak for joe, but I was referring to the commonplace Arminian argument against predestination equating to mankind being puppets.  Same old statement based on the same old misinterpretation.

God bless

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You believe that the Fall made us unresponsive, as well. That explains a lot of our differences. Now I'm starting to understand. Thanks, Ref.

Neal

My pleasure bro.  A good foundation for that would be Romans 3:10-18.

God bless,

Don

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Originally posted by Reformationist
So because Noah Webster defines free will as the "freedom to control one's own actions uncoerced by the necessity of fate" then that is Gospel for you?  Freewill is "the ability to make ANY AND ALL decisions in a given moral situation."  Fallen man did not have that ability.  Make decisions, yes.  Make any decision, no.  What exactly do you think the Fall did to the will of man?  You obviously don't believe it made him unresponsive to God, nor unable to reconcile himself to God.  What effect did the Fall have on mankind, in your opinion.

Pray tell, where did you get this definition.  It certainly isn't Bible based.  As far as I know, all humans have the ability to make decisions, though some are not rationally based.  The "undisputed right to make decisions and act accordingly," huh?  Does that mean that you have the right and ability to choose to do anything?  If so, please demonstrate.  Go ahead and decide to jump to the moon and then, when you get back, let us know what it's like.  That's not sovereignty.  Biblical sovereignty is when actions are not influenced by anything outside oneself and the manifestation of the will is a exclusive result of that will.

Yes

We don't.

That depends on who the "we" is you're referring to.

Who's fault do you think it is?

God bless

God put limitations on himself, and we have restrictions on us.
God's will is for everyone to be saved, but not everyone is going to be saved. Why is that? I mean if he is in control, and his will is to save everyone, your beliefs don't make much since.
I can not jump to the moon, but God can't force anyone to be saved.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Of course it is.  It's just not meant to be used by itself.  Context is equally important to finding the meaning of a word as finding the word itself.

Do you think that applies to everyone?  Or was He just referring to the Apostles?

They were not Apostles at that time, they were still disciples.
Jesus said, go and make disciples out of all the nations.

Do you have any sins? Is God in control of your decisions, and actions?

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by SUNSTONE

If God doesn't do something, it wasn't in His Purpose. That's not a restriction... it's a Sovereign choice.

God's will is for everyone to be saved, but not everyone is going to be saved. Why is that? I mean if he is in control, and his will is to save everyone, your beliefs don't make much since[sp].

The "all" refered to in that passage refers to all the Elect, IMO.

I can not jump to the moon, but God can't force anyone to be saved.

God "forces" salvation upon a person because that is the only way it can happen. He places a new heart and a new spirit within a person(notice it is His action), and when that happens, the natural response of that new nature placed within that person is to follow God. Otherwise, that person remains in her falleness, and neither has the desire, nor the capability to see or turn from sin to God.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Originally posted by humblejoe
If God doesn't do something, it wasn't in His Purpose. That's not a restriction... it's a Sovereign choice.

The "all" refered to in that passage refers to all the Elect, IMO.

God "forces" salvation upon a person because that is the only way it can happen. He places a new heart and a new spirit within a person(notice it is His action), and when that happens, the natural response of that new nature placed within that person is to follow God. Otherwise, that person remains in her falleness, and neither has the desire, nor the capability to see or turn from sin to God.

What does "IMO" stand for.
Show me where God forces salvation on people.
Does he force them to sin, are we just puppets?

God is in control in the since that He didn't have to set limitations on Himself, but He did, so we do have free will.
In proverbs it says "man ruins his life, and his heart rages against the Lord."

If God is in control, then why did Jesus give us the keys to bind and loose stuff? Why do we have to pray? Why would He punish us for our sins, if he forces salvation on us?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It regularly amazes me when people use these analogies.  God put limitations on Himself, and God put limitations and restrictions on us.  Just acknowledging that we are restricted isn't the same as acknowleging that it was God who willed those limitations.

God's will is for everyone to be saved, but not everyone is going to be saved.

What god is it that you attribute a will so impotent as to Will that His own creation come to a desired destination but has not the power to manifest that desire.  God, whose Will is solely responsible for all of creation, to include humanity, has not the power to overcome fallen man, His own creation?  That is sovereign to you?  Once again, I don't think you understand what bibilical sovereignty means.

Why is that? I mean if he is in control, and his will is to save everyone, your beliefs don't make much since.

I think you're confusing my views with your own.  I've never said that it was God's Will that all men be saved.  What I've said is it's not.  All I've said is that if it was His Will it would be so.  But, it is not.  All I've ever said is that God is fully in control and the reason not all men are saved is because it's not His Will that all men be saved.

I can not jump to the moon

Wait a minute??!!!  You said you had free will.  You said your will was free.  I've said, if your will was influenced or limited in any way then it's not free.  You said your will was free, therefore not limited.  So, I said, will yourself to the moon.  Hmmm...are you now telling me that you will is limited?

God can't force anyone to be saved.

Let me make this crystal clear for you.  The Fall killed mankind.  The Fall resulted in the total, 100%, alienation from God, of mankind.  Man was/is unable to reconcile himself to his Creator.  If man is to be reconciled, it must be God who does so.  Man cannot please God, nor does he desire to in his fallen state.  Man can do nothing righteous apart from God's intervention.  We are dead prior to God regenerating us.  If someone is saved, believe me, it's because God forced them to be so.

God bless

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They were not Apostles at that time, they were still disciples.

What?  Do you think Apostle is like something one gets promoted to after memorizing enough verses?  Guess what, Apostle is an assignment of authority.  Disciple, in this context, is a designation as one who adheres to, and assists in spreading, the teachings of Christ.  Guess what else, when the twelve were assigned the authority of an Apostle they were still disciples. 

Jesus said, go and make disciples out of all the nations.

Very good.  What does that have to do with this discussion. 

Do you have any sins?

Have any sins?  Do you mean do I commit any sins?  Of course I do.  Am I guilty, in God's eyes, of any of them?  Of course not.  That's what the atonement is.

Is God in control of your decisions, and actions?

I'm His creation, as are you.  If you went and made a chess board and decided that the purpose for which you created it was to light it on fire, have you that right?  Of course.  You are the workmanship of God yet you presume to be above, or outside of, His control.  In answer to your question, God is in control of every single aspect of His creation.

God bless

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Ref how can you say its not God's will that any should perish?

[Even so it is not the wil of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.] Matt 18:14

[The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.] 2Peter 3:9

Control
If God is in total control, then why do you sin?
" , then why do you pray?
" , then why bother witnessing to people?

I am really surprised at your beliefs, I guess I might have believed like you at one time, but honestly there are so many scriptures about reaping and sowing, binding and loosing, praying, witnessing. God says Listen to me over and over, giving warnings about bad things to come if you don't, and blessings to come if you do. Why would He give us the Word?
Do you believe that every single decision we make is under God's control?

Apostles.
Paul was an Apostle, what about the Gifts of the Spirit? Apostleship is one of them?
Do you believe that everything that Jesus said, he said for the disciples( soon to be Apostles)

Even in mans fallen state, God told Caan that he must master sin. If God was in total control then why would He say that?

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Have any sins?  Do you mean do I commit any sins?  Of course I do.  Am I guilty, in God's eyes, of any of them?  Of course not.  That's what the atonement is.

I'm His creation, as are you.  If you went and made a chess board and decided that the purpose for which you created it was to light it on fire, have you that right?  Of course.  You are the workmanship of God yet you presume to be above, or outside of, His control.  In answer to your question, God is in control of every single aspect of His creation.

God bless

Does a chessboard sin?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Very simply, Sunstone, because some do perish, right?  I don't believe that God's Will is an issue of chance.  I believe that God is sovereign.  I believe that if God sovereignly Willed that none should perish none would.  I believe that the Will of my Creator is sovereignly efficacious.  You seem to believe that the very Will of the most powerful being, God Himself, is subject to one of His creations, namely you.  You seem to believe that it is the desire of God that none should perish but that either God is so impotent that He can't even ensure His own Will is manifested, or, that it is out of love that God would leave someone He supposedly loves to burn in Hell.  That is not loving to me.  I am a parent.  Even though I am not sovereign, even in my own household, I desire only the best for my children and family.  If I was sovereign I would ensure that they be the recipient of my love.  I don't consider it loving to leave my children to their own devices when speaking of matters of life and death.  Would you consider it loving for me to allow my children to play in the street if I knew it would result in their death just because that's what they wanted to do?  Of course not.  You'd expect me to do whatever I had to do to make sure my children were safe, even if that meant exerting my dominant will over them and telling them to get out of the street, even if that meant physically bringing them out of danger.  Yet you seem to regard it as a loving action that God, who is suppose to love you so much, would leave the determination of your eternal disposition up to you.  It amazes me that you, or anyone, takes issue with this.  How comforting it is to me, and others who share my views, to know that though I was God's enemy He had mercy on me when I was yet His enemy and sovereignly ensured that I was His child.  You seem as if it would be better if God just said, "Okay,...you can be saved but I'm not going to make sure you are.  I'll leave it up to you."  Give me a break.  If God loved you so much He would providentially make sure you are going to be His child and the recipient of His grace even though you are rebellious.  Your theological viewpoint removes all sovereignty from God, makes His Will subject to yours, and gives you the credit for your specific salvation.  According to your position, all Jesus' death actually did for you was give you an opportunity to be saved.  It didn't actually save you.  You salvation was the result of your choice.  Tell me how that glorifies the sovereignty of God.  It doesn't.  It puts all the emphasis on your choice.  Then you get into issues of keeping your salvation.  According to you, you choose to be saved.  According to your position, you also choose to remain saved.  You are able to determine if you are saved, and you are able to determine if you stay saved.  It's by your choice.  It's not about God at all.  Oh sure...He gave you an opportunity, but He didn't actually save you.  According to you, Jesus had to be killed so that you could have the opportunity.  Jesus wants every single person to be saved but some aren't.  How sovereign is that?  Not at all.

If God is in total control, then why do you sin?

I sin because, at times, God removes His restraining grace and I naturally respond in an ungodly way.  You see, I understand what kind of a lowly, wretched thing I am.  I understand that "but for the grace of God, there go I."  I understand that it is only His restraining hand, because He loves me, that I am able to not sin sometimes.  I give God all the credit for any righteous thing I am able to do.  You put the emphasis on your own ability to be obedient.

" , then why do you pray?

Prayer is one method/tool that God uses to conform me to the image of His Son.  It is my own way of acknowledging my total dependence on God for all things.

" , then why bother witnessing to people?

"Witnessing" is just another tool the Lord uses to bring His chosen to a knowledge of Himself.  We do not lead anyone to God.  God leads all of His elect to Himself.  He will not lose anyone.  If someone dies without being saved they weren't meant to be saved.  As I said, God doesn't work on chances.

God says Listen to me over and over, giving warnings about bad things to come if you don't, and blessings to come if you do. Why would He give us the Word?

He gave it to us so that we would know what we are supposed to do to please Him.  If there was no Law then you and I couldn't be responsible for breaking that Law, could we.  The Law wasn't given to save us.  It was given to condemn us.  It's just like a speed limit sign.  The speed limit sign cannot keep you from breaking the law of speeding.  It can only convict you when you do transgress that law.

Do you believe that every single decision we make is under God's control?

I believe everything that has ever happened is part of God's plan.  I believe God sovereignly controls every aspect of His plan.  You put two and two together.  What do you think I believe.  I'm sure you are going to come back with responses about how if God is in charge of all of our decisions how can we be held responsible for sinning.  The point is, I don't completely understand God.  But, that's a good thing.  How imperfect would God be if I could understand everything about Him?  There is so much proof of what I believe but the biggest proof is what I've encountered numerous times on this MB.  I cannot make you understand anything.  You cannot make yourself understand anything.  Only God can give you the grace and enlighten you about His Will.  So, for me to continue to try and intellectually persuade you to understand is very persumptuous on my part.  It may not be God's Will at this time that you understand. 

God bless

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Ref,
You said you don't understand, but I do. Maybe this is your time to understand all the questions that don't seem to add up.I don't know everything, but I do know that God by his grace has given us free will, we can't do just anything, but we do have control of wether we walk out God's plan for us, or not to walk it out. Two things shattered my foundation of beliefs, 1. No one is any better than anyone else, 2. If you want something you have to go and get it, it is not going to come to you. Once I heard those two things, I feel down full of the Holy Spirit.
I can only recall you using one scripture, so please give me these scriptures so I may understand more where you are coming from.

How do you explain the scripture "it is God's will that none should perish" Jesus said it, and Peter said it?

You are a father, and there is a time to protect them from danger, but there is also a time that you have to let them live there own lives, and make there own decisions.
You do this a little at a time, until the day comes that it is time to fly away from the nest.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom

[Even so it is not the wil of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.] Matt 18:14

[The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.] 2Peter 3:9

Apostles.
Paul was an Apostle, what about the Gifts of the Spirit? Apostleship is one of them?
Do you believe that everything that Jesus said, he said for the disciples( soon to be Apostles)

Even in mans fallen state, God told Caan that he must master sin. If God was in total control then why would He say that?

These are the two scriptures, according to your beliefs, you would have to throw them out. It can be hard at times to make since of scriptures, but its like a puzzle, all the scriptures fit somehow.

Also the Apostles, answer these questions too, please.

Maybe I am wrong, but lets reason this out together and get to the bottom of it, maybe we can both learn something. :wave:

Upvote 0

Reformationist

Mar 7, 2002
✟37,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You said you don't understand, but I do. Maybe this is your time to understand all the questions that don't seem to add up.

I know without a doubt that there are many things about God that He has yet to teach me.  However, in matters of sovereignty, I don't question who's in charge.  I act persumptuous on occasion and assume that I know better than God.  However, I don't think I could ever believe, as you do, that I have the power to hold off God.  I believe God is sovereign.  You believe He is subject to your will.  I'll stick with believing God is in charge.

I don't know everything, but I do know that God by his grace has given us free will, we can't do just anything, but we do have control of wether we walk out God's plan for us, or not to walk it out.

I gotta tell you, I am a bit confused by your seemingly contradictory statement here.  In one single sentence you say you have free will but you can't do just anything.  Look man,...your will is either free (not subject to something) or it's not free (subject to something).  It can't be both.  You are just incorrectly using the word "free."  You seem to think that because you can make decisions that your will is free.  I ask you again, "Can you make any decision?"  If not, your will is not free.  I am so blown away by your belief that God is so weak that you can walk in and out of His Divine, Sovereign Will as you please.  You come off as if you are master of your own destiny but you won't even attribute that same power to God, your Creator.  Going by your position, God either doesn't have the power to ensure His will, the salvation of all men, is done, or, He doesn't care enough to make sure it happens, i.e., He leaves it up to you.  I contend that God loves me so much that He knows that if He left it up to me I would lose my salvation daily, therefore, He makes sure I am His, He hold my salvation in Heaven for me, and He is continually conforming me to the image of His Son.

Two things shattered my foundation of beliefs, 1. No one is any better than anyone else, 2. If you want something you have to go and get it, it is not going to come to you.

1. I agree with number 1

2. I think number 2 is utterly self righteous.  So, let me guess, you "went and got" your salvation, right?  God didn't bring it to you, right?  Tell me again who it is that your credit with getting your salvation.

Once I heard those two things, I feel down full of the Holy Spirit.

Wow.  Fell down full of the Holy Spirit, huh? :rolleyes:

I can only recall you using one scripture, so please give me these scriptures so I may understand more where you are coming from.

Why?  Are you honestly going to search to see if there's any truth to them?  Or are you just going to search for scriptures to refute what I post, as you have up until this point? 

How do you explain the scripture "it is God's will that none should perish" Jesus said it, and Peter said it?

I think that God does not delight in the death of the wicked.  However, it serves His Divine purpose and is therefore good, because His motive is good. 

You are a father, and there is a time to protect them from danger, but there is also a time that you have to let them live there own lives, and make there own decisions.  You do this a little at a time, until the day comes that it is time to fly away from the nest.

Just so you know, I've got 3 kids.  I know all about how strong willed a child can be.  Even in my own limited capacity and power I'm able to use their mistakes to help mold them into the adults I hope they become.  Also, I'm not God.  I don't have any choice other than to "let them live their own lives" at some point.  Comparing my ability to control my children, whom I didn't create, with God's ability to control His creation is pointless.  I'm nothing like God.

God bless

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.