Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Rather than respond to several posts that are, essentially, making the same argument, it is easier to put everything into one post.

I already cited Mark 9:38-41. Yes, the man was casting our demons in the name of Jesus, but the verse is clear that he was not a Christian. If a nonbeliever prays and what he/she asks is in accordance with God’s will, there is nothing in scripture that says that God will not answer that prayer. Look at the City of Nineveh; they prayed that God would spare their city and He did.

I will continue to ask my friends on FB to pray for me when I have health issues. Some of those who pray for my recovery will be non-Christians. I’m certainly not going to say “only Christians need pray for me.” I will continue to appreciate the prayers I receive from both Christians and non-Christians.

Interesting, BTW, that only two of those posting here in a Christian forum have asked how I’m doing after my health issues (thanks to those who did ask).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I will continue to ask my friends on FB to pray for me when I have health issues. Some of those who pray for my recovery will be non-Christians. I’m certainly not going to say “only Christians need pray for me.” I will continue to appreciate the prayers I receive from both Christians and non-Christians.
I think you should continue to ask your friends on FB to pray for you, and I don't think anyone thinks you should qualify that with a "Christians only" caveat.

I think you ask a good question though on whether or not God hears and responds to the prayers of those that are not redeemed, not forgiven, and are in fact not even praying to Him! Your Wiccan friend was a good example. She's praying to a false idol. Does God look at the prayers of those that are being made to a false idol as no different than prayers made by Saints, asking the Holy Spirit to intercede on their behalf? I would think there has to be a difference, right?

Upvote 0

Johan_1988

Jun 17, 2019
Durban
✟30,451.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't ask for it, but I believe it would come off as rude if you ask them not to.
As for God answering prayers I'd say its a lot more likely for the first two groups mentioned then the latter two. Wiccans pray to a goddess and hindus pray to pretty much everything. At least with Muslims and Jews they pray to the Abrahamic God

Hi, Muslims you say? Allah means moon god,symbols of the sun and moon, obelisks on mosks , so I really don't think so.

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi, Muslims you say? Allah means moon god,symbols of the sun and moon, obelisks on mosks , so I really don't think so.
Then why do arabic Christians also use the word Allah?

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not all do, they are maybe just honestly mistaken or don't really have a revelation if whom God is.
The Christian usage of the word Allah is older then the Islamic usage...

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A good number actually don't for the very reason that "Allah" has become so closely associated with Islam.
Pointless. I don't go around refusing to use the word "God" because Pagans, Zoroastrians, Jews, Muslims, and anyone else also elect to use the word.

Arabic is literally just Arabic for God.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Interesting, BTW, that only two of those posting here in a Christian forum have asked how I’m doing after my health issues (thanks to those who did ask).
Forgive me for my insensitivity. I hope you are well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Forgive me for my insensitivity. I hope you are well.
Thank you! Still need a cane to get around, but I am slowly improving.

I think in discussion forums people often forget the premises of the OP, so they don’t think to ask about recovery. I am guilty of that as well.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you! Still need a cane to get around, but I am slowly improving.

I think in discussion forums people often forget the premises of the OP, so they don’t think to ask about recovery. I am guilty of that as well.
You are gracious.

I guess a cane is one step up from crutches and two steps up from a wheelchair, but it still isn’t as nice as walking independently. I will pray for your continued healing, and hope that God grants you a smooth, quick and complete recovery.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The Christian usage of the word Allah is older then the Islamic usage...
Irrelevant. Language is fluid.

Pointless. I don't go around refusing to use the word "God" because Pagans, Zoroastrians, Jews, Muslims, and anyone else also elect to use the word.

Arabic is literally just Arabic for God.
You're absolutely right that Allah is the Arabic word for God, just like Deus is the Portuguese word for God, just like Dios is the Spanish word for God.

What you aren't being sensitive to is that the vast majority of Arabic speakers are Muslim, and that the word "Allah" has over time become synonymous with God as specifically described in Islam. Therefore, it is reasonable that when Arabic speaking people convert to Islam that many of them would prefer to avoid the word Allah altogether. You shouldn't find that notion offensive.

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Irrelevant. Language is fluid.

You're absolutely right that Allah is the Arabic word for God, just like Deus is the Portuguese word for God, just like Dios is the Spanish word for God.

What you aren't being sensitive to is that the vast majority of Arabic speakers are Muslim, and that the word "Allah" has over time become synonymous with God as specifically described in Islam. Therefore, it is reasonable that when Arabic speaking people convert to Islam that many of them would prefer to avoid the word Allah altogether. You shouldn't find that notion offensive.

I didn't say it was offensive, I said it was pointless. Why should a word be surrendered to heretics. Language is fluid? Well plenty of Arabic Christians still use the word Allah to this day. The word hasn't changed definition, the word isn't evil- it is merely a word used to describe the all powerful. It is one's individual beliefs that determine whether you are right or wrong in how you use it.

And I do hope you are feeling better OP.

Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First, let me say that I am glad that you are ok now. Having an illness, operation, or anything of the like can be frightening and I am glad that you came through it and are here to tell us about it now.

Not to steal your story, but I had a major (elective, but necessary) surgery and I was scared. I got no prayers from Christians and certainly not even the time of day from the church I was attending at the time. I did however, meet an elderly Muslim man who was quite concerned about my condition, he told me "You do not fear. Allah will guide the hands of your surgeon and you will be well" I appreceiate to this day what he said and did, that he took time out of his life to listen to me, to acknowledge me and pray for me. He seemed to be the only one. Allah must have heard his prayer, because I am here now.

• Winner
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Why should a word be surrendered to heretics. Language is fluid? Well plenty of Arabic Christians still use the word Allah to this day. The word hasn't changed definition, the word isn't evil- it is merely a word used to describe the all powerful. It is one's individual beliefs that determine whether you are right or wrong in how you use it.
I get it, and I don't altogether disagree with you. Language is a fluid, amoral construct that develops and changes with culture.

It is true that the generic, non-specific word for God in the Arabic language began as Allah. It is altogether possible, and there's nothing wrong with it - if over time the term Allah becomes synonymous with the specific idea of God as represented in the Islamic faith, and that another term surfaces which becomes the generic Arabic word for God. In fact, distinctions are usually good, and I don't see why you seem to have such a problem with the distinction.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
First, let me say that I am glad that you are ok now. Having an illness, operation, or anything of the like can be frightening and I am glad that you came through it and are here to tell us about it now.

Not to steal your story, but I had a major (elective, but necessary) surgery and I was scared. I got no prayers from Christians and certainly not even the time of day from the church I was attending at the time. I did however, meet an elderly Muslim man who was quite concerned about my condition, he told me "You do not fear. Allah will guide the hands of your surgeon and you will be well" I appreceiate to this day what he said and did, that he took time out of his life to listen to me, to acknowledge me and pray for me. He seemed to be the only one. Allah must have heard his prayer, because I am here now.
That is awful that no one in your church would pray for you. I am glad that you came through it well.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i have a number of friends who are not Christians. Among them are several Jewish friends, a number of Muslims, several Wiccans and a couple Hindus.

During a recent illness I had friends who contacted me via Facebook to say that they were praying for my recovery. These included prayers from my Jewish, Muslim, Wiccan and Hindu friends.

I believe God hears prayers for healing from my non-Christian friends as much as He hears prayers from my Christian friends. However I’ve had Christians tell me that I should not ask for prayers from non-Christians. Thoughts?
I am unclear on the purpose of your post. You asked for our thoughts and then you pick them apart. Why are you doing both of these things?

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am unclear on the purpose of your post. You asked for our thoughts and then you pick them apart. Why are you doing both of these things?
This is a discussion and debate forum. That is what we are supposed to be doing.

Upvote 0