Michigan
✟20,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure if this should be in a more specific forum area, but I figured the prayer wall will do just as well as anywhere else.

So, I'm going to college this fall. Scratch that, going AWAY to college. My parents and friends are kind of mad at me for doing so since they thought I'd go to a close-by community college for a few years before moving on with my life, and while I'm excited about my decision, I feel like I have no support. Now, I'm choosing to go to a Christian college, but my Christian family and Christian friends are seeing this as me leaving and abandoning them, and they make that almost too clear to me. Even when they aren't upset with my decision, I can't talk to them about it because I know how they feel about it. I have no one to talk to about how happy I am to be going somewhere I feel God is calling me. I would just like prayers that I won't feel alone through this and that God will provide me with the support and encouragement to get through it.

Additionally, I'm not sure what God wants me to study in college, though I'm leaning towards Psychology right now, I've changed my mind about 10 times in the past couple years. I also don't quite have the funds to pay for college, which I've been praying about and working towards, but I just can't seem to get any scholarships or money in general. It makes me anxious thinking that I won't be able to pay for my education, and I've become VERY stressed lately trying to handle it. I know it's in God's hands, but I have trouble giving it all to him. I just wish I had a clearer view of where I'm going in life, and I want God to open my eyes to his desires.

May his will be done, not mine.

Nikki1445

Sep 15, 2016
Houston
✟10,910.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight" (Proverbs 3:5-6).

Prayer
Lord we come before you today to lift your precious child up in prayer. We ask for guidance in their career decisions as they go to school. Your word says, “If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you" (James 1:5). So Lord, we thank you for giving your child wisdom while moving them forward in the calling you have place over their lives. We also ask for your peace among family and friends, help them to continue to love and support your child even if they don't fully understand your plan over their life. We thank you Lord for your grace and mercy. We magnify and glorify your Holy name, in the mighty name of Jesus, Amen.

Message to PKFox
Trust me when I say that sometimes it can be very discouraging when your loved ones, or even people that you may consider close, don't share the same excitement you have for where God is taking you. I've been there. But it's perfectly ok. I'll give you an example from my life. I am in love with art. I absolutely adore any type of art craft...painting, drawing sculpting, etc...I've done projects where I can go on for hours and it doesn't even feel like work. But when I got to college, I received disapproval to go for an art major from both of my parents...they were convinced that there wasn't any money in that...they would say "you should go for healthcare, or law school, art won't get you anywhere." Now let me make one thing clear, I know for a fact that my parents love me, and they want the absolute best for me, which I can certainly appreciate, but they don't know what God's plan is for my life. As you grow into full adulthood, you begin to realize that there will be many people around you that have a load of opinions about how you should live your life (this could be friends, family, coworkers, teachers, etc...) But at the end of the day, God decides your destiny, not them. God can see the entire picture, they can't. Everyone's opinions used to drive me nuts! I kept changing my mind on different things to fit their mold. I felt like I was being pulled from all directions and my peace was destroyed. Now I will say you should certainly always honor and respect your parents, but at the same token, sometimes God may reveal things to you that should be kept between you and God, things that are not meant to be shared with others. I received my bachelor's degree 4 years ago and now I'm back in school taking prereqs for my masters. It took everything in me not to tell my parents what I felt like God has placed on my heart to get my masters in. But I simply told them, "I trust where God is taking me," and eventually they stopped asking and respected that. Now as far as being unsure of what career to choose, understand that faith is stepping out boldly even if you are unsure of the outcome. If your heart is right when you are making desicions, God will always find you. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. God doesn't waste anything. It took me three years of begging any pleading with God, praying the same old prayer...asking God to just show me what I need to do and then I will do it...then finally, when I received the answer to my prayer, it wasn't the answer I was expecting. I wanted a detailed list of what to do lol. But instead, God simply said "Move, and trust me." So I quit my job (first real job out of college), and signed up to take classes toward my masters which I am taking now. I had no clue how I was going to pay for it other than the little bit of money I had saved up. So far, God has supplied the money I need to pay for all my classes without financial aid. God is amazing! Never doubt what he can do in your life. What ever passion God has placed in your heart, go after it. God can certainly use it to build his kingdom, and I know he will use you to be a blessing to many. If other people don't celebrate you... so what. Sometimes you have to learn how to give yourself a pat on the back. If God is pleased with you, that's all you really need. I know you're going to do great in school so don't even worry about that. Don't worry about how you're going to pay for it. Where ever you choose to go to school, whether it's close to home or further out, let it be a decision that God has placed in your heart. Don't be crippled by the opinions of others. As I've said before, God knows exactly where he taking you, and its going to be amazing! Trust him.

God Bless

Upvote 0

BlueAshSky

Winter is Coming
Apr 20, 2017
MI
✟16,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Praying you find understanding from your friends and family. That can be difficult :(

Also praying you can find something you love but dont think it is bad you cant decide yet. You have plenty of time and lots of people change their majors throughout college!
I switched seriously 3 times and thought about switching more times but decided to chase what i loved most and it is paying off. photography is my passion and i dont regret chasing that. I pray you get what you want out of school and im sure you will :)

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
:heart: Bless yer heart, Praying that God grants you wisdom, discernment, clarity, and that He grants you extraordinary favor, and grants you peace in all of this, and that His blessings fall on you like rain. Father may it be so, in Jesus name, amen (((hug)))

Let it rain.

d5890299bf6030cb1c822b95111f0da8.gif

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,933.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
If I have one regret it would be that I did not spend a year in a Christian college/university in a sanctified (keyword sanctified - I want to feel Christ with me in the experience) Christian environment. I would go for it and see.

Reactions: PKFox
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,283.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Like your attitude PKFox. It's difficult to make decisions when we're confused, upset, etc. so encourage you to ask Yahweh for His peace (John 14:27). To make informed decisions, we need lots of information.

The aspect I'll address is selecting a major - not comprehensive though. It's pretty common to change your mind about what major before and after enrolling in higher education. Here's a few thoughts.
-You'll want to verify that the educational institution offers the major you want and is accredited by a major national organization. In the US, one such accreditation is the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. There's many types of accrediting agencies, educate yourself.
-It is costly to change majors. Look at the end result and work back. In other words, if you had a degree today in psy (for example), what jobs would an undergraduate degree qualify you to pursue. Sometimes in the first couple of years for your elective classes, you can take a few classes in the field you're interested in to get your feet wet so to speak. Also, it can be beneficial to shadow a professional already in the field.
-It can be costly to change institutions. So you'll want to have funding established.
-remember that when you enroll, the institution's catalog is their contract with you. All the rules for them awarding you your degree is stated in detail. An example is it may state that once you're enrolled, you have to satisfactory pass all the classes for your degree within 7 years.

Praying for you, too.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: PKFox
Upvote 0