Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What are some practical, insightful tips on prayer?

I have many, but thought it would be edifying and helpful to share best practices about our prayer lives. This is not an opportunity to gloat, only a chance to share what we have seen works best for praying in a way to builds up.

Do you play worship music in the background?

Do you pray outside or inside?

Do you pray silently, verbally, visually?

So some things I do are I read through the scriptures and as I read through I am listening for the Spirit to point out specific things to me that he wants me to pray about or pray for...

For example, last night I read through Romans 6-8. When I came to Chapter 8 I thanked God that I am not under condemnation in Jesus, even though at times my feelings may not align with that. I thanked the Spirit for interceding for me. etc.

Other times, I will play worship music in the back ground while praying that helps keep my mind focused on Christ and helps minimalize distractions and my thoughts wandering.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
:heart: All of the above......

it's kinda' hard to explain...

prayer is a "heart" thing, and it's a lifting up of one's heart to our God, and intermingling praise, and worship, and adoration to our Father and Creator Who LOVES us sooooo inexplicably.

This comes to mind. The pure adoration is a "prayer" in itself.

Precious.

sometimes-i-just-look-up-smile-and-say-i-know-that-was-you-god-thank-you-quote-1.jpg

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Worship and prayer for me never stop because I believe God is ever present with me and I can communicate with and through His Spirit.

There are set aside times when I spend a chunk of time after worship to intercede and pray specifically and then there is the rest of the day when it's just awareness and joy in His presence.

Music is really important to me, so I use that a lot in worship, either just singing scripture or playing an instrument. Sometimes I will put on some music and paint as a form of worship.

The best place for me is in the garden or woods.

Another part of my prayer life is asking forgiveness. Even though God knows our faults and weaknesses, it's good to be aware of the separation it causes when we come before the Father.

The Spirit is available to speak if we want to hear and listen, but it takes practice to learn what He sounds like so that in an instance I can be guided, even when I'm talking to someone or driving in the car.

Spending time with the Father in prayer helps me know His voice, not that I'm always willing to obey, but that might be another thread.

Cultivating a relationship with my Father helps me keep joy and peace regardless of the outer circumstances.

Upvote 0

PKFox

Child of God
Apr 24, 2017
Michigan
✟20,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What are some practical, insightful tips on prayer?

I have many, but thought it would be edifying and helpful to share best practices about our prayer lives. This is not an opportunity to gloat, only a chance to share what we have seen works best for praying in a way to builds up.

Do you play worship music in the background?

Do you pray outside or inside?

Do you pray silently, verbally, visually?

So some things I do are I read through the scriptures and as I read through I am listening for the Spirit to point out specific things to me that he wants me to pray about or pray for...

For example, last night I read through Romans 6-8. When I came to Chapter 8 I thanked God that I am not under condemnation in Jesus, even though at times my feelings may not align with that. I thanked the Spirit for interceding for me. etc.

Other times, I will play worship music in the back ground while praying that helps keep my mind focused on Christ and helps minimalize distractions and my thoughts wandering.
I just kind of go to a quiet place and talk to God a lot of times. Sometimes my prayers are silent, but if I'm having a longer talk with God then I usually pray aloud. I also occasionally pray during worship times at church or camp.
Another thing I like to do is, whenever I see a sunset or something beautiful that I see as a gift from God, I just say a simple, "Thank you God!"

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0