Prayer address to Mary what do you think if it ?

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,639.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hey man, that's exactly it. The Hail Mary is like a boomerang. She hands it off to Jesus. And her will is 100% God's will. She'll never pray for anything that's not God's will.

Exactissimo! And that is just the reason I pray directly to God and don't worry about finding other folks to do it for me.

Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

Gabriel Anton

Exitus Acta Probat Acta Non Verba Deus Vult 11:18
May 19, 2016
Oz
✟89,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
heres a prayer I found address to the Blessed Virgin Mary it is a rehashing of the Salve Regina but more Christ centered I believe so

Hail Mary, bearer of Christ of mercy; hail, our dear heavenly mother, a precious sweetness in this barren desert. To thy Son we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to Him do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this vale of tears. Turn then, most gracious Lady, thy motherly eyes towards us; and after this our exile, let us with thee adore our Saviour, Jesus. O pure, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary, remember us in thy prayers.

What do you think about it?

Peace be with you.

Your prayer looks to be of 2 minds. Who are you directing your prayer to?
If you want to direct your prayer to Her, direct your prayer to Her. If you want to direct your prayer to God, direct your prayer to God.

- To thy Son we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to Him do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this vale of tears. - This part here should be changed. It is inappropriate when directing your prayers to Her.

It's like I am talking to you then, I ignore you to talk to someone else because that someone else is more important than you.

In the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Hail Mary, Bearer of Christ of Mercy; Hail, our Dear Heavenly Mother of Jesus Crucified, a Precious Sweetness in this barren desert. Mother of the Incarnate Word, we cry, poor banished children of Eve; Mother of the Lamb of God, do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this vale of tears. Turn then, Most Gracious Lady of Eternal Light, Thy Motherly eyes towards us; and during this our exile, help us to adore our Saviour, Jesus Christ. O Pure, O Loving, O Sweet Virgin Mary of Christ the Redeemer, remember us always in Thy Prayers. Amen.

God bless you.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,030.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I'm honestly interested in what your opinions are regarding the prayer I posted? Do you like it ? If so why ? If you you don't why?

The only issue that I would have with that prayer (as a Lutheran) is the very last sentence; Scripture is silent regarding the Saints hearing our prayers; but clear on the fact that they do intercede for us. Up to the last sentence, it is simply praise, honor to the Blessed Virgin.

We also have an example left for us from Martin Luther in his "Evangelical Praise of the Mother of God":
"O Blessed Virgin, Mother of God, what great comfort God has shown us in you, by so graciously regarding your unworthiness and low estate. This encourages us to believe that henceforth He will not despise us poor and lowly ones, but graciously regard us also, according to your example."
Luther also used the pre-Trent Rosary, but cautioned that only those of strong faith should pray the rosary, as it could lead to idolatry, rather than contemplating the mysteries of the incarnation. I read somewhere, that he was buried with his rosary, as is still the custom today in the Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

Lord's Servant

Ave Maria
Jun 20, 2016
Brownsville,Texas USA
✟23,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The only issue that I would have with that prayer (as a Lutheran) is the very last sentence; Scripture is silent regarding the Saints hearing our prayers; but clear on the fact that they do intercede for us. Up to the last sentence, it is simply praise, honor to the Blessed Virgin.

We also have an example left for us from Martin Luther in his "Evangelical Praise of the Mother of God":
"O Blessed Virgin, Mother of God, what great comfort God has shown us in you, by so graciously regarding your unworthiness and low estate. This encourages us to believe that henceforth He will not despise us poor and lowly ones, but graciously regard us also, according to your example."
Luther also used the pre-Trent Rosary, but cautioned that only those of strong faith should pray the rosary, as it could lead to idolatry, rather than contemplating the mysteries of the incarnation. I read somewhere, that he was buried with his rosary, as is still the custom today in the Catholic Church.
Ah I see then and I often use Luther's Evangelical Praise to the Mother of God in ending the rosary and I've also he said that only the strong in faith should pray the Hail Mary and I never knew that he was buried with a rosary and I understand why a Lutheran would have issues with this prayer

Upvote 0

Lord's Servant

Ave Maria
Jun 20, 2016
Brownsville,Texas USA
✟23,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Peace be with you.

Your prayer looks to be of 2 minds. Who are you directing your prayer to?
If you want to direct your prayer to Her, direct your prayer to Her. If you want to direct your prayer to God, direct your prayer to God.

- To thy Son we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to Him do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this vale of tears. - This part here should be changed. It is inappropriate when directing your prayers to Her.

It's like I am talking to you then, I ignore you to talk to someone else because that someone else is more important than you.

Hail Mary, Bearer of Christ of Mercy; Hail, our Dear Heavenly Mother of Jesus Crucified, a Precious Sweetness in this barren desert. Mother of the Incarnate Word, we cry, poor banished children of Eve; Mother of the Lamb of God, do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this vale of tears. Turn then, Most Gracious Lady of Eternal Light, Thy Motherly eyes towards us; and during this our exile, help us to adore our Saviour, Jesus Christ. O Pure, O Loving, O Sweet Virgin Mary of Christ the Redeemer, remember us always in Thy Prayers. Amen.

God bless you.
Ah I see then I understand now why it would inappropriate and thank you for the prayer

Upvote 0

jalek

Sep 22, 2015
✟8,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
While I respect the beliefs of my catholic brethren, I disagree with prayers offered to Mary because it is contrary to what we are told in Scripture.

Matthew 6:6 "But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

Jesus commands here to pray to the Father, not to Mary or some other saint. This is supported further by the first line of the example prayer he gives.

Matthew 6:9 "After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name."

This is further corroborated by the Apostle Paul in Philippians 4:6.

"Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."

Note that he doesn't say "Made known to Mary or Saints" or "Made known to God via Mary or Saints".

Praying to Mary borders to closely to violating the First Commandment for my tastes, which is why I always recommend that Christians, Catholic or otherwise, should always pray to God himself.

Jalek

Upvote 0

Lepanto

Jun 16, 2008
Liverpool
✟27,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
heres a prayer I found address to the Blessed Virgin Mary it is a rehashing of the Salve Regina but more Christ centered I believe so

Hail Mary, bearer of Christ of mercy; hail, our dear heavenly mother, a precious sweetness in this barren desert. To thy Son we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to Him do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this vale of tears. Turn then, most gracious Lady, thy motherly eyes towards us; and after this our exile, let us with thee adore our Saviour, Jesus. O pure, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary, remember us in thy prayers.

What do you think about it?

It's an excellent prayer, I like it. We say it after the end of the Rosary.
The Rosary has helped me a lot.
Thank you, Lord's Servant.

Upvote 0

Lepanto

Jun 16, 2008
Liverpool
✟27,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
While I respect the beliefs of my catholic brethren, I disagree with prayers offered to Mary because it is contrary to what we are told in Scripture.

Matthew 6:6 "But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

Jesus commands here to pray to the Father, not to Mary or some other saint. This is supported further by the first line of the example prayer he gives.

Matthew 6:9 "After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name."

This is further corroborated by the Apostle Paul in Philippians 4:6.

"Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."

Note that he doesn't say "Made known to Mary or Saints" or "Made known to God via Mary or Saints".

Praying to Mary borders to closely to violating the First Commandment for my tastes, which is why I always recommend that Christians, Catholic or otherwise, should always pray to God himself.

Jalek

So many Protestants continue to misunderstand the Catholic position on praying to Mary, as if Catholics
are worshipping her.

• The Virgin Mary Revealed Through Scripture (Dr Scott Hahn, former anti-Catholic)
Drawing on his roots as a Protestant minister, Dr. Scott Hahn responds to key misunderstandings about
the Virgin Mary. This captivating presentation explains the biblical and historical basis for the Church's
teachings that the Virgin Mary is the New Eve and the Queen of Heaven.
URL: https://www.lighthousecatholicmedia.org/store/title/the-virgin-mary-revealed-through-scripture

• Praying to Mary - A Biblical Defense (Tim Staples, former Baptist)
Tim Staples explains from the Bible how it is possible for Mary and the Saints to hear the prayers of so many people
on earth. The most common charge non-Catholic Christians make against the Catholic Church is that the tenets
of Catholicism are man-made and unbiblical. Those are serious charges, for sure. But can you refute them?
URL:
Praying to Mary - A Biblical Defense | Catholic Answers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lord's Servant

Ave Maria
Jun 20, 2016
Brownsville,Texas USA
✟23,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It's an excellent prayer, I like it. We say it after the end of the Rosary.
The Rosary has helped me a lot.
Thank you, Lord's Servant.
Ah I see then and I know the prayer my grandmother is Catholic and she often prays the holy rosary and your welcome Lepanto. But the prayer I posted is kinda different from the original Salve Regina

Upvote 0

Lepanto

Jun 16, 2008
Liverpool
✟27,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ah I see then and I know the prayer my grandmother is Catholic and she often prays the holy rosary and your welcome Lepanto. But the prayer I posted is kinda different from the original Salve Regina

It's wonderful that your grandmother prays the Rosary. As far as I know, the prayer you posted is similar to
"Hail Holy Queen", which might be Salve Regina. Where did you get that version?
The Rosary changed my life, it gave me strength, it renewed me.

Upvote 0

jalek

Sep 22, 2015
✟8,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So many Protestants continue to misunderstand the Catholic position on praying to Mary, as if Catholics
are worshipping her.

If the catholic position on praying to Mary and other dead saints is based upon blatant abuse of the context of scripture as demonstrated by Tim Stables in the posted video, then I don't need to understand it. Not only did he misquote Revelation 5, but he also got the message from Revelation 8:3-5 completely wrong. Furthermore, he used his abuse of scripture to justify a practice that the rest of scripture says is ungodly.

Upvote 0

Lord's Servant

Ave Maria
Jun 20, 2016
Brownsville,Texas USA
✟23,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It's wonderful that your grandmother prays the Rosary. As far as I know, the prayer you posted is similar to
"Hail Holy Queen", which might be Salve Regina. Where did you get that version?
The Rosary changed my life, it gave me strength, it renewed me.
Yes it is wonderful and I'm glad that my grandmother is devoted is devoted to Our Lady and yes it is similar I found it at a blog unfortunately it was posted by a Anglo-Catholic or a Anglican

Upvote 0

Lepanto

Jun 16, 2008
Liverpool
✟27,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If the catholic position on praying to Mary and other dead saints is based upon blatant abuse of the context of scripture as demonstrated by Tim Stables in the posted video, then I don't need to understand it. Not only did he misquote Revelation 5, but he also got the message from Revelation 8:3-5 completely wrong. Furthermore, he used his abuse of scripture to justify a practice that the rest of scripture says is ungodly.

It's absolutely not abuse of scriptural context.
Can you refute Dr Scott Hahn and Tim Staples' arguments?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jalek

Sep 22, 2015
✟8,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's absolutely not abuse of scriptural context.
Can you refute Dr Scott Hahn and Tim Staples' arguments?

The link for Dr. Scott Hahn was nothing more than an advertisement for a book.

As far as Tim Staples' arguments, I can.

He goes through his argument explaining that Revelation 5:8 & 8:3-5 speaks of Elders and Angels receiving prayers from Saints and offering them to God. First off, he ignores the fact that Revelation 4:1 clearly says that the events John is witnessing are events that will take place in the future, during the end times. Furthermore, despite his questionable interpretation of Revelation 5:8, it doesn't say that the Elders are offering prayers to God. It says that they have Golden Vials filled with odors or incense in their hands along with Golden harps. It says nothing about them "receiving" the prayers, but simply says they have them or are holding them. If you look in the original greek, this is even more clear since the greek term "to receive" is a completely different word than the one used in Revelation 5:8, which is the greek work meaning "to have/hold". He is literally changing words, which is a direct abuse of Scripture. Also, it says in verse 9 that they start singing a song of worthiness and praise to the Lamb, not passing on the "prayers", as he claims. This is another abuse of scripture. As for Revelation 8:3-5, it doesn't say that angels or elders give the prayers of saints to God. It says that an angel takes a golden censer filled with the same incense and places it upon a Golden Altar before the throne which is referenced in Revelation 4:2-3. If that wasn't enough, he still didn't prove his point about Praying to Mary being biblical.

Jalek

• Agree
Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

Lepanto

Jun 16, 2008
Liverpool
✟27,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The link for Dr. Scott Hahn was nothing more than an advertisement for a book.

As far as Tim Staples' arguments, I can.

He goes through his argument explaining that Revelation 5:8 & 8:3-5 speaks of Elders and Angels receiving prayers from Saints and offering them to God. First off, he ignores the fact that Revelation 4:1 clearly says that the events John is witnessing are events that will take place in the future, during the end times. Furthermore, despite his questionable interpretation of Revelation 5:8, it doesn't say that the Elders are offering prayers to God. It says that they have Golden Vials filled with odors or incense in their hands along with Golden harps. It says nothing about them "receiving" the prayers, but simply says they have them or are holding them. If you look in the original greek, this is even more clear since the greek term "to receive" is a completely different word than the one used in Revelation 5:8, which is the greek work meaning "to have/hold". He is literally changing words, which is a direct abuse of Scripture. Also, it says in verse 9 that they start singing a song of worthiness and praise to the Lamb, not passing on the "prayers", as he claims. This is another abuse of scripture. As for Revelation 8:3-5, it doesn't say that angels or elders give the prayers of saints to God. It says that an angel takes a golden censer filled with the same incense and places it upon a Golden Altar before the throne which is referenced in Revelation 4:2-3. If that wasn't enough, he still didn't prove his point about Praying to Mary being biblical.

Jalek

I'm no Bible scholar.
But I know Catholic arguments related to praying to Virgin Mary and saints are not limited to the Revelation.
You think you can refute Tim Staples, but how about Dr Scott Hahn (former anti-Catholic), Fr Brian Harrison (former Protestant) and Ulf Ekman (the Swedish Lutheran pastor who recently became a Catholic) ??

Upvote 0

jalek

Sep 22, 2015
✟8,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm no Bible scholar.
But I know Catholic arguments related to praying to Virgin Mary and saints are not limited to the Revelation.
You think you can refute Tim Staples, but how about Dr Scott Hahn (former anti-Catholic), Fr Brian Harrison (former Protestant) and Ulf Ekman (the Swedish Lutheran pastor who recently became a Catholic) ??

If their use of scripture is like Tim Staples, then I'm not worried.

Upvote 0

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Okay guys if you want to debate about this ? I can certainly make a thread about this because this is the not place to do it
I would be glad to participate. Isn't there a rule about jumping off topic with straw man fallacies?
Most Protestants are taught very little about the Blessed Virgin Mary: The Mother of God the Son (Theotokos, or literally, God-bearer), other than the fact that she rocked baby Jesus’ cradle on the first Christmas and thus helped to make Silent Night (written by an Austrian Catholic priest) the lovely, moving song that it is. Thus, for them to understand the highest theological and spiritual level of Catholic Mariology is somewhat akin to expecting a child who has just mastered the times tables to comprehend calculus or trigonometry. It just won’t happen. Even most Catholics don’t understand these things. They require much thought and study. One has to progress in any form of knowledge little by little.

The amount of misinformation, disinformation, and incorrect understandings among Protestants on these issues can never, in my experience, be underestimated, or overlooked.

This perspective of hostility and mistrust and derision is bound to produce even more bias and distortion of Catholic views, because the one making the observations is incapable of the objective analysis required to examine any opposing belief, let alone perhaps the most complex and wildly misunderstood subject in Catholic theology.

Upvote 0