Prayer address to Mary what do you think if it ?

Lord's Servant

Ave Maria
Jun 20, 2016
Brownsville,Texas USA
✟23,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
heres a prayer I found address to the Blessed Virgin Mary it is a rehashing of the Salve Regina but more Christ centered I believe so

Hail Mary, bearer of Christ of mercy; hail, our dear heavenly mother, a precious sweetness in this barren desert. To thy Son we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to Him do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this vale of tears. Turn then, most gracious Lady, thy motherly eyes towards us; and after this our exile, let us with thee adore our Saviour, Jesus. O pure, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary, remember us in thy prayers.

What do you think about it?

AndrewMicheals

Feb 18, 2017
USA
✟10,454.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm technically a Catholic. I haven't left Catholicism. I just don't practice it as of late. Mary is not a problem for me. Catholics themselves is a problem for me. I find them not living according to the Gospel. Not all, but ones I've dealt with in my parish and it's left a bad taste and with the new pope Francis. I see him only caring for Muslims and ignoring his flock. But back to Mary. Do not be put off by the way she seemed to be worshipped. She's not. She is loved. She's a mother and we go to her like we would our own mother. That's really what all the hoopla is about. We pray to her to ask her to pray to God for our needs in the way a mother would go to our fathers for us.

Upvote 0

Lord's Servant

Ave Maria
Jun 20, 2016
Brownsville,Texas USA
✟23,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Okay then and I know Catholics don't worship her that's a lie often spewed out by Christian fundamentalists and truth be told I pray to Mary sometimes and ask her to pray for me but I don't feel comfortable with some prayers

Upvote 0

AndrewMicheals

Feb 18, 2017
USA
✟10,454.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Okay then and I know Catholics don't worship her that's a lie often spewed out by Christian fundamentalists and truth be told I pray to Mary sometimes and ask her to pray for me but I don't feel comfortable with some prayers
Hey, yeah. I get it. Those are whats been called "flowery" speech of days gone by. Just do what you're comfortable with.. Take care.

Upvote 0

AndrewMicheals

Feb 18, 2017
USA
✟10,454.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
And the Catholic version of that prayer.

"Poor banished children of Eve. Turn thy eyes of mercy towards us and after this, our exile, show us unto the fruit of thy womb, Jesus".

It means this life we are children of the fall and separated from God. We are "saved" yes but when in willful sin have turned from God and have chosen to live outside his grace. So our exile is our willful sin and we ask Mary to pray for us. That we will have the heart to repent and to square it with God. We go to her like a mother. To do what mothers do. Fix it, Mom.

But I like to think the prayer also says we are in the valley of tears, our exile due to the fall is this life and our home is heaven. After our exile, show us Jesus, pray that we'll go to heaven.

Upvote 0

Lord's Servant

Ave Maria
Jun 20, 2016
Brownsville,Texas USA
✟23,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey, yeah. I get it. Those are whats been called "flowery" speech of days gone by. Just do what you're comfortable with.. Take care.
Thanks for understanding and I like the prayer that I found because I believe it is more Christ centered in my opinion and you too take care :)

Upvote 0

Lord's Servant

Ave Maria
Jun 20, 2016
Brownsville,Texas USA
✟23,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
And the Catholic version of that prayer.

"Poor banished children of Eve. Turn thy eyes of mercy towards us and after this, our exile, show us unto the fruit of thy womb, Jesus".

It means this life we are children of the fall and separated from God. We are "saved" yes but when in willful sin have turned from God and have chosen to live outside his grace. So our exile is our willful sin and we ask Mary to pray for us. That we will have the heart to repent and to square it with God. We go to her like a mother. To do what mothers do. Fix it, Mom.

But I like to think the prayer also says we are in the valley of tears, our exile due to the fall is this life and our home is heaven. After our exile, show us Jesus, pray that we'll go to heaven.
Ah I see then now I understand the prayer a little better because you're saying to her show us Jesus when we go to heaven Mary right?

Upvote 0

AndrewMicheals

Feb 18, 2017
USA
✟10,454.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yep. Since Catholics don't do once saved always saved, we are asking her to pray for us to keep us on the straight and narrow path that leads to heaven. Since the path is long and winding, after this life, this suffering life, show us the blessed fruit of your womb, Jesus.

Reactions: PanDeVida
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,245,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
I sort of like the original on purely stylistic grounds. and I've listened to and even prayed it from time to time, when I've prayed with a Roman breviary. At the time the Salve Regina was written, the laity rarely received communion and perhaps felt estranged from the institutional religion. Perhaps it was all too lofty for them to take in. The theology started drifting away from the idea that Mary was merely a saint one could pray to, to something else. Since Jesus was so inaccessible, Mary became necessary. Both Erasmus and Luther objected to the Salve Regina for this reason.

The revised version of the hymn sounds like it fits modern Catholicism better, honestly, and would be closer to something a Lutheran or Anglican could pray.

It's interesting the organist played the tune to this hymn as a prelude in church... in a Lutheran church. I got a kick out of recognizing it. Perhaps he grew up Catholic.

Upvote 0

Lord's Servant

Ave Maria
Jun 20, 2016
Brownsville,Texas USA
✟23,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Ah I see then to me I don't agree with the original salve Regina I don't feel comfortable with it because it says some things that give Mary a higher pesticide than she deserves I like the prayer I found because in my opinion it is more Christ centered and the prayer surprisingly isn't Catholic but is from a Anglican blog

• Haha
Reactions: Tangible
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,010,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ah I see then to me I don't agree with the original salve Regina I don't feel comfortable with it because it says some things that give Mary a higher pesticide than she deserves I like the prayer I found because in my opinion it is more Christ centered and the prayer surprisingly isn't Catholic but is from a Anglican blog
I'm guessing your phone or tablet autocorrected a word in your post... Its the first time I've seen pesticide and Mary in the same sentence! :)

Upvote 0

Lord's Servant

Ave Maria
Jun 20, 2016
Brownsville,Texas USA
✟23,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm guessing your phone or tablet autocorrected a word in your post... Its the first time I've seen pesticide and Mary in the same sentence! :)
Yeah it's the autocorrect of my phone unfortunately I was saying that people put her on a level that was never intended for her

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

AndrewMicheals

Feb 18, 2017
USA
✟10,454.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's what I meant by not getting hu g upon flowery language of days gone by. The Church teaches today that Mary is not strictly necessary. Praying to her is totally not necessary to go to heaven. A Catholic just cannot deny her intercessory prayer. She prays for all of God's children because they are hers too. God doesn't need her to, he chose her to be. It's what he wants. When we do go to her, asking for intersession she can do more.

Reactions: PanDeVida
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,010,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah it's the autocorrect of my phone unfortunately I was saying that people put her on a level that was never intended for her
Understood :)

I've always struggled with finding that proper place myself. I think I understand it much more now, but I'm still figuring things out even 10 years after I became Orthodox! I do like the prayer you included in the OP.

Upvote 0

Lord's Servant

Ave Maria
Jun 20, 2016
Brownsville,Texas USA
✟23,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
That's what I meant by not getting hu g upon flowery language of days gone by. The Church teaches today that Mary is not strictly necessary. Praying to her is totally not necessary to go to heaven. A Catholic just cannot deny her intercessory prayer. She prays for all of God's children because they are hers too. God doesn't need her to, he chose her to be. It's what he wants. When we do go to her, asking for intersession she can do more.
Yes I know of course the Church doesn't teach that the Church doesn't require Anyone to pray to Mary it's only a choice if someone wants to and yes Mary prays for Church orthodox,Lutherans,Catholic and Angelicans agree on that

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lord's Servant

Ave Maria
Jun 20, 2016
Brownsville,Texas USA
✟23,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Understood :)

I've always struggled with finding that proper place myself. I think I understand it much more now, but I'm still figuring things out even 10 years after I became Orthodox! I do like the prayer you included in the OP.
Yeah I've only become recently devoted to Mary the Blessed Virgin because I was taught she was just a regular woman nothing more and thanks I like it too

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟599,168.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The prayer in the Angelus 'Holy Mary mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death' seems to me to be about the solidarity of the communion of saints, and the sense of humility that relies on grace without presumption. There no suggestion that salvation is knowm by any other name than the name of her son Jesus Christ Our Lord. There is however the enormous sense of the kindred pf all believers helping each oyher on the journey.

Upvote 0

Lord's Servant

Ave Maria
Jun 20, 2016
Brownsville,Texas USA
✟23,982.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The prayer in the Angelus 'Holy Mary mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death' seems to me to be about the solidarity of the communion of saints, and the sense of humility that relies on grace without presumption. There no suggestion that salvation is knowm by any other name than the name of her son Jesus Christ Our Lord. There is however the enormous sense of the kindred pf all believers helping each oyher on the journey.
Yes I know only Christ can save us from our sins and when I say the Angelus I say the pre Trent Hail Mary instead of the traditional Hail Mary

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟824,291.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
heres a prayer I found address to the Blessed Virgin Mary it is a rehashing of the Salve Regina but more Christ centered I believe so

Hail Mary, bearer of Christ of mercy; hail, our dear heavenly mother, a precious sweetness in this barren desert. To thy Son we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to Him do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this vale of tears. Turn then, most gracious Lady, thy motherly eyes towards us; and after this our exile, let us with thee adore our Saviour, Jesus. O pure, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary, remember us in thy prayers.

What do you think about it?
I don't mean to offend, because I hold Mary in high esteem because she is a unique woman and blessed above all women to be the mother of our Saviour Jesus.

But I have a wacky sense of humour. I had a mental picture of Mary receiving a prayer, and then handing it to Jesus, saying, "Well, as your mother, do I make a good secretary for you?"

I just wonder (quite seriously, and I could get tarred and feathered by some Pentecostals for this), because Jesus gladly accepts faith even though it is like a grain of mustard seed, or just a spark or a smoking flax. So if a person truly believes that Jesus is the Son of God and that He rose from the dead, then a person who believes that prayer to Mary is meaningful, I might think that Jesus might accept it.

When Martin Luther got nearly hit by a bolt of lightning, he prayed to St Anne, promising to become a monk instead of a lawyer, the fact that he became a monk changed Christian history (I know that some Catholics might think that was not a good thing for the Church, but I am not criticising them for that. It's not my place to.).

Upvote 0