Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
I'm going to be doing the usual stuff this lent. There's a few food groups i'll be giving up etc. However i'd like lent to be more positive than it has for me in the past. My free time is massively limited and so i can't do anything massive, but i'd love to hear any ideas for small, practical, positive things that I (and of course, we) can do this lent.

Let's try and be specific - 'be nicer' is great but doesn't really help on a day to day basis!

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
I'm going to get rid of clutter, both material and hopefully mental to give myself more room for what's important.
I like that. Shall we compare quantities decluttered and encourage one another? Anne:wave: when she was four referred to the process as "making our house an Easter house". Alas that decluttering doesn't work once and for all.

A priest I know recommended taking a short walk while saying the "Jesus Prayer" on an Anglican rosary. This nice devotion doubles as a way to get oneself to go on a daily walk.
I like that, too. Maybe I can get the daughters to join me. I can probably get the husband to join me in the walking, but he doesn't do rosary-prayer.

Upvote 0

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
A priest I know recommended taking a short walk while saying the "Jesus Prayer" on an Anglican rosary. This nice devotion doubles as a way to get oneself to go on a daily walk.
That sounds like a good idea.

Upvote 0

AveMaria

Anglo-Catholic Tat Queen
Aug 2, 2004
✟19,896.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat

That's a lovely idea!

I'm planning on tackling some specific projects at work as a general Lenten discipline, as this will involve learning some additional skills and expanding my comfort zone.

Upvote 0

Mrs.Sidhe

Jan 11, 2005
East Central Georgia
✟5,040.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
This was what I was going to recommend honestly. You took the words right out of my mouth...

Since I have a rather big Marian devotion I'm going to make sure I remember each day to do a Marian rosary. I hope that through doing in Lent I can make it a practice that I remember to do each day like clockwork--that it just becomes part of my day.

Walking a labyrinth is also a good idea....

I'm also going to strive to give up meat. (I honestly don't know how much a "fast" I should do being that I'm still breastfeeding--alot.) Yes its the usual lent thing but I'm hoping that this can be a regular everyday thing too.

I know other people who are giving up TV--which I may try to at least reduce my TV watching or at least limit the shoes I watch to news or educational TV...

Though I love my Golden Girls show.. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I like that. Shall we compare quantities decluttered and encourage one another? Anne:wave: when she was four referred to the process as "making our house an Easter house". Alas that decluttering doesn't work once and for all.

I like that, too. Maybe I can get the daughters to join me. I can probably get the husband to join me in the walking, but he doesn't do rosary-prayer.

I'm going to try to throw away 10 things a day. (Or give away).

Upvote 0

artrx

listening
Oct 22, 2005
northern VA
✟7,846.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm going to set aside at least 15 minutes a day to the prayer of silence- and hopefully it will grow longer. Just to stand in the Presence of God and be, not to petition or praise consciously, but to be and listen. It helps me to start with a breath prayer (Yah -breathing in- Weh -breathing out-). What I've already found helpful is something I read about not judging oneself for extraneous thoughts, just acknowledging them as extraneous, letting them go and keeping on. I know its only a baby step start but I have to start somewhere...

Upvote 0

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I'm going to set aside at least 15 minutes a day to the prayer of silence- and hopefully it will grow longer. Just to stand in the Presence of God and be, not to petition or praise consciously, but to be and listen. It helps me to start with a breath prayer (Yah -breathing in- Weh -breathing out-). What I've already found helpful is something I read about not judging oneself for extraneous thoughts, just acknowledging them as extraneous, letting them go and keeping on. I know its only a baby step start but I have to start somewhere...

Actually, this is a significant step, IMO. It's not easy to pray in a listening manner in silence. How is it going?

Upvote 0

pmcleanj

Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner
Mar 24, 2004
Alberta, Canada
Visit site
✟7,281.00
Faith
Anglican
I'm going to try to throw away 10 things a day. (Or give away).

I got my ten things for Wednesday and Thursday -- and I took them along with three bags previously filled to the Thrift today. So I'm playing catch-up.

And then there are these two excess "Groovy Girls" dolls that really need a good home...

Upvote 0

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
I got my ten things for Wednesday and Thursday -- and I took them along with three bags previously filled to the Thrift today. So I'm playing catch-up.

And then there are these two excess "Groovy Girls" dolls that really need a good home...

:doh: ! I'll throw away twelve things today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

artrx

listening
Oct 22, 2005
northern VA
✟7,846.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, this is a significant step, IMO. It's not easy to pray in a listening manner in silence. How is it going?

At first it seemed too easy... but not only is it difficult to empty my mind and just listen but the mere 15 minutes is becoming easy to misplace. I tried not to tie myself to an exact time every day- because i always blow those resolutions... but I find i do need a reminder before it gets too late and I fall asleep! Yet, after i do I feel much more grounded/internally calm/focused. But it's still very early on in this practice! Like the Yahweh prayer it takes time and repetion to make it a natural part of my life.

How's the throwing away going :)?

Upvote 0

Tawny

Senior Contributor
Feb 21, 2005
Buckinghamshire,UK
✟21,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
Well I've already broken my lenten vow. But celibacy is not that easy when you live with a beautiful woman. :)

Still working hard on the Rosary though!

More info than we needed!

I have given up meat, and I love the idea of a a walk while reciting the Rosary!

Upvote 0

haulpak

Oct 11, 2007
✟8,092.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
JasonV said:
Well I've already broken my lenten vow. But celibacy is not that easy when you live with a beautiful woman.

More info than we needed!

Mere males cannot be faulted for such indiscretions.

Too much information would have been to take photos and put on facebook or myspace.

Sorry big fella, but I think that maybe you had lofty hopes of keeping your lenten intentions, but celibacy? Boy you were setting yourself up for an early fall.

Methinks even if you were able to accomplish said feat of endurance your walls would need painting from all the climbing marks!

:p

Good luck with the Rosary. Might I suggest 2 laps of the Rosary beads as pennance which might cool your ardour for a while.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.