Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This video is under 4 minutes long (I just want to throw that out there in advance in case you're afraid of some sort of long meandering video :) ).

Do you consider poverty a "life" issue?

I do.

I think Pope Francis does as well.

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The effects of poverty are well known, and we are all affected by it in some way (I don't know about you, but I don't have my own island nor live in a gated enclave separated from the rest of the world). The causes of poverty are also well known, and everyone of us contributes to them in some way.

I am with Pope Francis on this. Being from a South American country, he was able to see both the causes and the effects of poverty up close and personal.

I am fearful that we will never really deal with this problem, and that the divide between the "haves" and the "have nots" will only increase, and the numbers in the latter category will continue to increase.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
This video is under 4 minutes long (I just want to throw that out there in advance in case you're afraid of some sort of long meandering video :) )
Do you consider poverty a "life" issue?
I do.
I think Pope Francis does as well.

Interesting he says that 47 000 000 Americans living in poverty. That sounds like a lot to me ! Twice the population of Australia!
And as he said it's the "stress" of poverty that hurts the most. Worrying about the future!

Last edited:
Reactions: anjelica
Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting he says that 47 000 000 Americans living in poverty. That sounds like a lot to me ! Twice the population of Australia!
And as he said it's the "stress" of poverty that hurts the most. Worrying about the future!
Sanders is correct. The official number from the Census Bureau is 46.7 million as of 2014. The poverty rate is 14.8%, 2.3 points higher than in 2007, before the last recession. Here is a link to a summary of the data.

https://www.census.gov/hhes/www/poverty/about/overview/

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The epiphany of every Vincentian I know is that they are amazed at how they had no idea of the poverty and suffering that goes on within the shadow of our own steeples. As a society, we're very good at shuffling the poor off to the fringes and out of sight, where we don't have to care about them anymore.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The epiphany of every Vincentian I know is that they are amazed at how they had no idea of the poverty and suffering that goes on within the shadow of our own steeples. As a society, we're very good at shuffling the poor off to the fringes and out of sight, where we don't have to care about them anymore.
Out of sight out of mind. What we can't see, doesn't have to bother us.

Reactions: anjelica
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
2Corinthians 5:10

Every act of kindness you showed to someone in need, as well as every time you turned a blind eye, you'll account for , when you stand at the judgement.

This is yet another area I need to work on, God told me at my last performance appraisal meeting. :)

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Out of sight out of mind. What we can't see, doesn't have to bother us.

It seems to be that way, and this is going so sound very provocative, but when I hear people like me pining for the 'good old days', I think that's what we're longing for.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
2Corinthians 5:10

Every act of kindness you showed to someone in need, as well as every time you turned a blind eye, you'll account for , when you stand at the judgement.

This is yet another area I need to work on, God told me at my last performance appraisal meeting. :)

I can't remember where, but it's somewhere in the bible, I think in one of the seven deuterocanonicals, "Do not exasperate the poor man".

That's a tough one in the Vincentian milieu.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had an epiphany some years back. I lived in a large city and volunteered in the inner city, so was familiar with issues of poverty, to a point. Then I went to Mexico City.

We flew into the airport and were driven to our hotel in the downtown. It was like most other really big cities, and I saw some people living on the streets, but the overall impression was not bad. Then we hired a driver and car to take us to some sites outside of the city. As we drove and drove, we passed through "zones", some middle class neighborhoods, but mostly a stretch of poverty and slums. For miles and miles it extended. Millions of people, crammed into areas without basic amenities. Seemingly with little hope of ever getting out. I was stunned and discouraged. If I had flown in and toured just the popular sites within Mexico City, I would never have seen this. I was thinking about how many people did just that, and didn't know they were surrounded by a ring of millions of people living in squalor.

Everything was just fine until I opened my eyes.

I know someone who went to one of the poorest countries in the world, in Africa, to serve as a volunteer doctor there. Malnutrition and disease was rampant. The "hospital" of sorts was for the rural population and was located away from the city, was accessible only be dirt roads which were impassable part of the year, with one full time doctor, some locally trained nurses, electricity some of the time, one phone line for the whole "hospital", inadequate medicines and supplies, etc. I heard some very sad stories of people, including many children, that could have easily been made healthy in many parts of the world, but who were doomed to suffer and die for lack of resources.

This goes on in many places every day.

Pope Francis, and Bernie Sanders, are right. But being right in itself will not change anything...unfortunately.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amazing isn't it, that the Olympics were held there in 1968. And now Rio this year. Brazil has major poverty issues too.
I was in Mexico City just a few years after the Olympics and saw the sports complex. The aquatic center was the best I had ever seen. Then I saw the slums. No pools there, just ditches filled with filthy water.

Yes, Brazil. They have major poverty problems, major economic problems, major financial problems, major political problems. But I doubt we will see much evidence of that during the broadcasts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The pattern repeats itself doesn't it?

When the imperative is to go to the poorest of the poor, it seems like where I'm located the best thing to do would be to load up the van and head 90 miles south and encounter some real poverty. And yet, suffering is suffering, and the suffering which goes on past our porch steps is just as legitimate as the suffering which goes on anywhere. We don't have to go to exotic countries to encounter suffering. It's closer than we think. For me, it's right down the street, and I'm living in a nice middle class neighborhood.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
It's closer than we think. For me, it's right down the street, and I'm living in a nice middle class neighborhood.
You're walking the talk Tad, which is highly admirable.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The thought of how best to teach my children to help serve the poor, and in some ways to understand that they are pretty fortunate in their lives, is one that has been keeping me pondering a lot lately. They both have a very compassionate nature that I want to help develop.

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
The Early Church Fathers had some powerful , and for me discomforting , words regarding poverty........

You are not making a gift of your possession to the poor person. You are handing over to him what is his.
Ambrose of Milan, 340-397.

The bread in your cupboard belongs to the hungry man; the coat hanging in your closet belongs to the man who needs it; the shoes rotting in your closet belong to the man who has no shoes; the money which you put into the bank belongs to the poor. You do wrong to everyone you could help but fail to help.
Basil of Caesarea, 330-370 A.D.

Not to enable the poor to share in our goods is to steal from them and deprive them of life. The goods we possess are not ours but theirs.
John Chrysostom, 347-407 AD

The rich are in possession of the goods of the poor, even if they have acquired them honestly or inherited them legally.
John Chrysostom, 347-407

How can I make you realize the misery of the poor? How can I make you understand that your wealth comes from their weeping?
Basil of Caesarea, 330-370 A.D.

When you are weary of praying and do not receive, consider how often you have heard a poor man calling, and have not listened to him.
John Chrysostom, 347-407

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
You are handing over to him what is his.

the money which you put into the bank belongs to the poor

Not to enable the poor to share in our goods is to steal from them and deprive them of life

your wealth comes from their weeping?

wow. that really is a wake up call for us, isn't it. I think previous generations had this mindset. My father often talked about the depression of the 1930's.

Upvote 0