inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,814.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Speaking of Peterson he also talks about truth, how there are layers of ideas based on truth in literature and how these truths are derived from each other and how the less an ideas based on truth is dependent of other ideas and representing truth the more fundemental it is to humankind.

He traces that fundemental truth back to the bible and the bible is actually the prerecondition for the manifestation of truth which makes it way more true than just true and a whole different kind of truth and the only way we can solve the problem of perception.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,265,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Speaking of Peterson he also talks about truth, how there are layers of ideas based on truth in literature and how these truths are derived from each other and how the less an ideas based on truth is dependent of other ideas and representing truth the more fundemental it is to humankind.

The more idiosyncratic the idea, the more likely it is to be true? That doesn't seem like a sound basis for truth.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,814.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The more idiosyncratic the idea, the more likely it is to be true? That doesn't seem like a sound basis for truth.
I am not sure what you mean by idiosyncratic. If all literature and story truths are based on the bible then how can it be strange or unusual. It would be the exact opposite considering its the precondition for truth. Truth is not idiosyncratic. Maybe to those who don't like the truth but if its a precondition then its the standard, the measure from which all truths are based on.

Like Peterson mentions that we can create a hiearchy of texts from where they derived from so works like Shakesphere because so much literature is based on Shakespheres literary revelations. Also Milton and Dante would be in that category. Fundemental authors and part of the Western Canon. Because those texts influence more other texts.

So imagine a hiearchy of texts with the entire corpus of texts with the bible at its base. So we smaple these literary truths within our culture and we use these truths to guide us in the world. So because all these truths are based on the bible the bible is not just a truth but the precondition or standard for all truths relating to how we naviage the world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,265,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I am not sure what you mean by idiosyncratic. If all literature and story truths are based on the bible then how can it be strange or unusual.

Except that's clearly not the case. There are many stories and literature not based on the Bible. The Chinese classic, Journey to the West, for instance.

So imagine a hiearchy of texts with the entire corpus of texts with the bible at its base. So we smaple these literary truths within our culture and we use these truths to guide us in the world. So because all these truths are based on the bible the bible is not just a truth but the precondition or standard for all truths relating to how we naviage the world.

Why would truth be the provenance of a particular culture? Moreover, why should you or I be bound to a particular culture's thoughts about truth? And who defines what is and isn't part of our culture? The Bible? Whose version of the Bible? And who interprets it? It seems to me there are many epistemological hurdles we need to cross. So I am very skeptical that Peterson isn't just up to his usual word salad nonsense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,814.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Except that's clearly not the case. There are many stories and literature not based on the Bible. The Chinese classic, Journey to the West, for instance.

Why would truth be the provenance of a particular culture? Moreover, why should you or I be bound to a particular culture's thoughts about truth? And who defines what is and isn't part of our culture? The Bible? Whose version of the Bible? And who interprets it? It seems to me there are many epistemological hurdles we need to cross. So I am very skeptical that Peterson isn't just up to his usual word salad nonsense.
He was talking about the West, the Western Canan of truths we can come to know and base our civilization on. The Chinese may well have some aspects of this truth as it is not something just the West has come to know,

These truth are really universal as they speak of our experiences through time that we have lived out and tested. So they are not something that is subjective. You don't have to be bound by them but they do form the basis for Western civilization by the fact they work.

Truths like all people are equal regardless of status even kings or Emporers are equal and made in the image of God. These are the life truths we have come to realise that all humans to co-exist with free will and justice, equality, dignity, honor, commitment and sacrifice for others. The literatary works, stories and fables passed down which gave our morals and wisedom and life principles that have proven true. These are primarily based on the bible truths and apply to western culture.

These truths are reflected in the way we can identify the west from other cultures. When others say that the west may be the land of the free as opportunity for all regardless of identity, where people can be innocent until proven guilty, a hards days work for a fair reward. These qualities are the truths we have come to know which differentiate us from others.

Now China may disagree as they do with communism and breaching many of those truths but I am sure in their own way they know these truths but apply them in a different way. Like equality they may believe that everyone should be equal in a different way through communism.

But the equality we have come to know based on the biblical truth that all are created equal stands as a foundational truth we have built western culture on and its stood the test of time.

PS these are the same truths that progressives want to dismantle like free speech, Rule of Law, equality, equal opportunity rather than outcomes, the santity of marriage and human nature itself. Believing that humankind holds the ultimate truth and can reconstruct everything in their own image.

Which is another biblical truth that whatever idols we choose to worship is what we will become. So be careful in who you choose as your idol or worship.

Last edited:
Upvote 0