Post-Modernism and Liberal Christianity

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Indeed. But it took lessons learned from other religions and philosophies, and the historical evidence, such as it is, before I was ready to go there.

Yes, but the lessons you learned elsewhere don't substantiate your beliefs, the basis would be the revealed truth in Scripture. So, therefore the basis for belief is not upon evidence for resurrection, but a faith in it. Further, Scripture is the only source for that revealed belief.

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, but the lessons you learned elsewhere don't substantiate your beliefs, the basis would be the revealed truth in Scripture. So, therefore the basis for belief is not upon evidence for resurrection, but a faith in it. Further, Scripture is the only source for that revealed belief.

Presuming sola scriptura just won't cut it in WWMC.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,162,768.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Read a Zondervan study bible. If it mentions a liberal view of authorship, it doesn't quote anyone and then it simply denounces each premise and reasserts the traditional view.

And now again we are ignoring the central point that I was making. Again, historical inquiry does not bear out faith. Faith is not predicated upon evidence nor logic. Please see the above post.

A Zondervan study Bible is not a scholarly work. I was thinking of things like single-book commentaries, which are normally written for scholars. I'm afraid I don't read a lot of works like that study Bible. I am prepared to believe that at a popular level the two communities largely ignore each other.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A Zondervan study Bible is not a scholarly work. I was thinking of things like single-book commentaries, which are normally written for scholars. I'm afraid I don't read a lot of works like that study Bible. I am prepared to believe that at a popular level the two communities largely ignore each other.

All study Bibles quote scholars, so while they are not long flowing scholarly works, they do make mention of pseudonymity and other issues.

I have not read many large commentaries, though I read a liberal one on Job by someone with the last name "Janzen"...it never mentioned any conservative scholarship and was quite content to mention "liberal" scholarship. Going through conservative commentaries on Romans, for example, did not really touch on liberal scholarship either.

And, yet again, we are ignoring the central point that I was making. Again, historical inquiry does not bear out faith. Faith is not predicated upon evidence nor logic. Please see the above post that speaks of important matters of faith (i.e. resurrection) can ultimately be sourced to the personal witness of the apostles (church tradition and Scripture.) There is no other source. To believe what they say requires faith, because their claims to the supernatural would historically be disregarded as made up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

I am unsure why this is a difficult concept for everyone here to understand, perhaps I am not explaining myself properly. Let me reiterate.

As I have already said pages ago in a post to Hedrick, the field of historical inquiry cannot prove anything that really counts about Christianity, namely the resurrection of Christ, the forgiveness of sins, etc.

Obviously, the forgiveness of sins cannot be proved by history. We're in agreement there.

But the reason the forgiveness of sins cannot be proved by history is because forgiveness is something that happens in the mind of God, and history doesn't have access to the mind of God. History examines events in the space-time universe which we have access to through archaeology and primary sources.

If we're to be serious about the resurrection as a historical event, then it should be open to the investigation of history.

It appears that a strawman keeps getting set up, that I am saying that because the Bible contains supernatural events, it cannot be trusted as a historical source in its entirety.

This is pretty strange, because I have already addressed this point specifically, saying that in normal historical inquiry, historians will ignore records of supernatural events in accounts such as Herodotus, and will generally give accounts that lack any mention of supernatural events, such as that of Thucydides, more credence.

I apologize if it seemed I was attacking a strawman and if I mischaracterized your views. But even in the above clarification, it seems you're slipping from one view to another. At first, you say that historians will discount those portions of Herodotus that contain reports of supernatural events; but you go from there to say that Thucydides on the whole is given more credence because it lacks supernatural evidence. The latter is clearly the reason for my misunderstanding.

But in any case, historians don't a priori disregard Herodotus' reports of the supernatural. Those portions of Herodotus are worthwhile subjects of historical study (as well as, of course, literary study). Now a historian might come in with a naturalistic bias and attempt to find some natural reason behind Herodotus' report; but a naturalistic historian who attempts to investigate matters from a neutral standpoint will admit that Herodotus' report of a supernatural event may go back to an event that cannot be explained because we don't have access to that event except through Herodotus. In the end, the historian is left with "an event happened that we cannot explain given the present state of evidence, even though I believe it cannot have been supernatural."

This is precisely why I throw out any assertion by any "scholar" such as a NT Wright or anyone else that the actual occurrence of the resurrection can be proved out by history. If this were the case, we would have to accept the entirety of all ancient accounts of the supernatural, which no one is willing to do and would be bad historical study.

Well that definitely isn't true. N.T. Wright, James Dunn, and all the rest of the good folks involved in the third quest for the historical Jesus don't just accept the accounts. Instead, they investigate the accounts through source criticism, form criticism, tradition history, and archaeology. And in the course of doing so, they also come to the conclusion that Jesus did not to some of the miracles attributed to him (John Meier, in particular, comes to a series of carefully argued negative conclusions about the historicity of Jesus' "nature miracles"). But the positive or negative conclusions are borne out through investigation and argumentation, not through a priori assumptions of the reliability of whole reports or unreliability of whole reports.

Hence, anyone who builds their Christian faith on the historicity of accounts in Scripture ultimately will have to give up all of its supernatural elements.

I specifically said earlier that faith cannot be built on history. Faith is the direct gift of God in Jesus Christ, not the result of either historical investigation or the construction of a theology out of a supposed inerrant, verbally inspired text. Historical investigation, I said, is essential to faith in our historically-conscious age when faith is to be self-reflective; it is not the basis of faith.

And, in any case, no, no I don't have to give up all supernatural elements. I've certainly given up some. I don't believe Jesus actually turned water into wine, because the account, even once you peel back the layers of tradition history and formal integrated into John's gospel, does not meet any of the criteria for authenticity. But that doesn't mean the resurrection accounts don't meet the criteria for authenticity, nor does it mean that John's account of Jesus turning water into wine doesn't have the same meaning for us today as it would were it historical, because historical or not it is still Scripture.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
All study Bibles quote scholars, so while they are not long flowing scholarly works, they do make mention of pseudonymity and other issues.

I have not read many large commentaries, though I read a liberal one on Job by someone with the last name "Janzen"...it never mentioned any conservative scholarship and was quite content to mention "liberal" scholarship. Going through conservative commentaries on Romans, for example, did not really touch on liberal scholarship either.

And, yet again, we are ignoring the central point that I was making. Again, historical inquiry does not bear out faith. Faith is not predicated upon evidence nor logic. Please see the above post that speaks of important matters of faith (i.e. resurrection) can ultimately be sourced to the personal witness of the apostles (church tradition and Scripture.) There is no other source. To believe what they say requires faith, because their claims to the supernatural would historically be disregarded as made up.

I don't believe the central point you're making. Wright, whom Christianity Today (a conservativ evangelical magazine) named one of the top 5 NT scholars in the world, makes a strong case for the historical resurrection. Not just in the very short Youtube video I linked earlier in this thread, but in longer videos, in peer reviewed articles and in both popular books and scholarly ones. But that's all argument from authority, so disregard it if you wish. On the merits of the case alone, I find Wright's argument far more persuasive than yours, which amounts to little more than the bald assertion that such is not possible.

The Resurrection of Jesus as a Historical Problem by N.T. Wright

The Resurrection of the Son of God (Christian Origins and the Question of God, Vol. 3): N. T. Wright: 9780800626792: Amazon.com: Books

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe the central point you're making. Wright, whom Christianity Today (a conservativ evangelical magazine) named one of the top 5 NT scholars in the world, makes a strong case for the historical resurrection. Not just in the very short Youtube video I linked earlier in this thread, but in longer videos, in peer reviewed articles and in both popular books and scholarly ones. But that's all argument from authority, so disregard it if you wish. On the merits of the case alone, I find Wright's argument far more persuasive than yours, which amounts to little more than the bald assertion that such is not possible.

The Resurrection of Jesus as a Historical Problem by N.T. Wright

The Resurrection of the Son of God (Christian Origins and the Question of God, Vol. 3): N. T. Wright: 9780800626792: Amazon.com: Books
Again, you are appealing to authority but ignoring common sense. I think Swinburne made a like argument. But again, it's a fallacious argument. You cannot prove the supernatural. We have mass hysteria/delusions on the public record.

So don't quote Wright, and tell me personally. Does the historical record bear out that the resurrection had a good "probability" of occurring? Do you also accept my wife's stories that in Cambodia, a ton of people in the countryside report seeing a ghost with long hair that cries over her dead baby? How about all those mass appearances of the Virgin Mary? Where do you personally draw the line?

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we're to be serious about the resurrection as a historical event, then it should be open to the investigation of history.

Granted, and what do we know from history? A bunch of followers of the religion attest to it occurring. A bunch of its detractors think it is false.

If this were about any other religion, let's say Islam or Baal worship. If a bunch of their followers were to attest to a supernatural event and write it down, would you take them at their word?

Obviously, when it pertains to historical inquiry, the rule of thumb is to never take the claim to a supernatural event seriously. It appears to me that NT Wright, and others, take it seriously...but their historical methodology is a wee-bit selective and they would never apply it to ancient Greek, Chinese, Roman, or more recent events.

I apologize if it seemed I was attacking a strawman and if I mischaracterized your views. But even in the above clarification, it seems you're slipping from one view to another.
I appreciate your apology and I don't mean any disrespect, but I'm not "slipping," in reality I don't think you realize that your inconsistently applying your interpretative skills. The point is, would you look at the historicity of the resurrection as a supernatural event requiring the same burden of proof of all ancient attestations to supernatural events?

Granted, the Scripture has a much better manuscript tradition, but the aside, but that means we have more copies of the same different sources.

At first, you say that historians will discount those portions of Herodotus that contain reports of supernatural events; but you go from there to say that Thucydides on the whole is given more credence because it lacks supernatural evidence. The latter is clearly the reason for my misunderstanding.

Clearly, it is. Because when historians say "Herodotus relates a story about X" we do so lending some credibility if the story sounds pretty realistic and it can be seconded by other sources. However, if we can't, because Herodotus made up tall tales we might think it is a tall tale.

Thucydides has a detailed account that's realistic, so we pretty much take it at face value.

But in any case, historians don't a priori disregard Herodotus' reports of the supernatural.

Well, yes they do. They immediately classify it as myth.

Do you accept the ressurection as myth?

...but a naturalistic historian who attempts to investigate matters from a neutral standpoint will admit that Herodotus' report of a supernatural event may go back to an event that cannot be explained because we don't have access to that event except through Herodotus. In the end, the historian is left with "an event happened that we cannot explain given the present state of evidence, even though I believe it cannot have been supernatural."

Unless that event contains mythical creatures are accounts about weird stuff like "Amazonian women" and etc. Ressurection accounts are generally considered "weird stuff."

Instead, they investigate the accounts through source criticism, form criticism, tradition history, and archaeology.

Again, such methods do not come close to verifying the existence of the supernatural. THey can only show that people attested to a supernatural event.

Faith is the direct gift of God in Jesus Christ, not the result of either historical investigation or the construction of a theology out of a supposed inerrant, verbally inspired text.

What do you honestly base that upon?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Again, you are appealing to authority but ignoring common sense. I think Swinburne made a like argument. But again, it's a fallacious argument. You cannot prove the supernatural. We have mass hysteria/delusions on the public record.

So don't quote Wright, and tell me personally. Does the historical record bear out that the resurrection had a good "probability" of occurring? Do you also accept my wife's stories that in Cambodia, a ton of people in the countryside report seeing a ghost with long hair that cries over her dead baby? How about all those mass appearances of the Virgin Mary? Where do you personally draw the line?

Bah. There's no use talking about this with you. You gladly give counsel but won't receive any. If you familiarize yourself with Wright's argument, and tell me where he goes wrong, I'll listen. The short video and short article I linked to would suffice. Simply asserting that no historical case is possible and talking about Cambodian ghost stories is completely unconvincing.

P.S.: A possible point of misunderstanding: You keep saying "proof". I never said proof. I did not characterize what Wright offered as proof. Rather, it's a circumstantial case that points to the resurrection being probably true. You couldn't get a criminal conviction with that, as it doesn't begin to approach the criminal law standard of "beyond a reasonable doubt". But I do think it could meet the civil law standard of "preponderance of the evidence".

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The answer is nothing about the spiritual realm is provable.
Totally agree.

Reality is not limited to what Man has been able to prove exists.

Also totally agree.

So, you really don't have a good reason to have faith in what the Scripture teaches, but you believe it anyway, right?

To answer your question:

"Why do some people believe in God because history cannot prove God exists?"

Faith, without regard to evidence in the least bit.

Upvote 0

GenetoJean

Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Delaware
Visit site
✟18,940.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
How do we know Scripture is a source of more truth than the Quran?

I dont know that for sure but other than faith, no one can. I believe God influences whatever writing He wants to inspire people but no single book is 100% correct because I believe God just influences and not dictates the books.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you familiarize yourself with Wright's argument, and tell me where he goes wrong, I'll listen.
You can express verbal frustration in print all you want, but you need to grasp the fact that historical inquiry methodologically cannot prove the existence of the supernatural, it can merely show that a set of people believed that something supernatural occurred. Any argument, from any scholar, that makes any larger claim than this is methodologically unsound, end of story.

The fact you cannot answer to very easy points pertaining to other "supernatural" events and how they are attested to by many in ancient history to the present, merely proves my point. The scholars you are pointing to are applying their "circumstantial arguments" to one attested event, but would be afraid to do the same to others to avoid being held up as laughing-stocks like the UFOlogists on that History Channel show.

I did not characterize what Wright offered as proof. Rather, it's a circumstantial case that points to the resurrection being probably true.

Let's not get all fancy about this. Can I take other circumstantial evidence, such as thousands of eye witnesses across six continents and dozens of cultures all claiming that they have been abducted by aliens to "make a strong circumstantial case" that alien abductions are real?

You want to "poo poo" this, but to be perfectly frank, the circumstantial evidence for present-day alien abductions is much stronger. First, we have a lot more eye witnesses, and thereby much more primary sources. Second, they are supposedly occurring worldwide among people that have nothing in common, which makes it less likely that they are making it up.

The resurrection has five written witnesses (two went by the testimonies of others), and they all came from one geographic area.

Circumstantially, it is not even a contest. But, the reason why I can easily discount both out of hand is that both pertain to supernatural/crazy events.

The methodology is simple. Bart Erhman is a smarter man than me, and he made the outrageous claim that ancient writers NEVER used scribes. His claim is easily disproven.

So, I'm not smarter than anyone you quote, or even you. But I don't need to be. I understand how to apply principles equally to different situations.

Upvote 0

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I dont know that for sure but other than faith, no one can. I believe God influences whatever writing He wants to inspire people but no single book is 100% correct because I believe God just influences and not dictates the books.
So, if there is no book apparently better than another, what influences you to like the Bible more than the Quran?

Upvote 0