London, UK
✟823,317.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We would have had a deal but with his America First would it have been a good deal for the UK. The Tory government is desperate for any old trade deals it could get to try to prove that Brexit isn't a disaster and a major concern among many here was that we would sign up to lower animal welfare standards in particular chlorinated chicken. The US could never replace the trade lost with the EU though because of the fact that all countriest do most of their trade with their geographical neighbours.

Think membership of USMCA would be good for all parties. It would also give some weight to negotiations with EU. It is the kind of loose Free Trade agreement the British originally signed up for in the EEC. The solution for chlorinated chicken is just to put a label on the package and make it a consumer choice. I was more worried about Big Pharmas impact on NHS costs.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes true Trump would have made a deal. But that does not rule out President Elect Biden doing that.
Yeh...right.

Biden will be making his deals with China, Ukraine, Russia and the others who have already lined his family members' pockets.

Britain is too closely tied to the US for a change of the guard to matter to the relationship...
That's probably true, but it's not the point here. With BREXIT, there is presumably a loss of trade which a new agreement with the USA could rectify to the benefit of both counties.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,317.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeh...right.

Biden will be making his deals with China, Ukraine, Russia and the others who have already lined his family members' pockets.

Boris Johnson was early to recognise Bidens win, our interests are intertwined. Personally I do not believe Biden to be the corrupt figure, manufactured by Republican election propaganda. Regardless, his main focus will be on covid and the economy in year 1, and a deal with Britain could stimulate trade and the economic numbers. America has an opportunity here to replace EU trade with its own.

That's probably true, but it's not the point here. With BREXIT, there is presumably a loss of trade which a new agreement with the USA could rectify to the benefit of both counties.

Yes I think a deal could benefit both, whether USMCA membership or a new deal. Bidens not said much thus far, but he would win a lot of approval if he helped Britain with an early deal. It would not benefit the relationship to fail on this nor would it benefit the vision of the US,working with allies, rather than against them, which has been the Biden public position.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Boris Johnson was early to recognise Bidens win, our interests are intertwined.
You're hopeful, rational. Yes, I get that. But you are assuming that Biden will do the sensible thing for once in his political life.

That is a theoretical possibility, but that's about all. With Trump, there was a near certainty of an effort being made to create a new pact. He went public with the idea long ago. With Biden, none of that applies and there is plenty about him that leans in the opposite direction.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,317.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're hopeful, rational. Yes, I get that. But you are assuming that Biden will do the sensible thing for once in his political life.

That is a theoretical possibility, but that's about all. With Trump, there was a near certainty of an effort being made to create a new pact. He went public with the idea long ago. With Biden, none of that applies and there is plenty about him that leans in the opposite direction.

Trump lost and Britain has to deal with the world as it is. Biden has given us no reason thus far to doubt his commitment to the US special relationship with Americas most potent ally.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Trump lost and Britain has to deal with the world as it is.
True. I'm just telling you what the UK has lost thanks to the recent US election.

Biden has given us no reason thus far to doubt his commitment to the US special relationship with Americas most potent ally.

Special relationship, sure. New economic pact of the sort we're talking about here, good luck. It is unlikely, especially given the philosophical orientation of his handlers.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,317.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
True. I'm just telling you what the UK has lost thanks to the recent US election.

Special relationship, sure. New economic pact of the sort we're talking about here, good luck. It is unlikely, especially given the philosophical orientation of his handlers.

The only reservation, expressed by the Biden Team, is to do with the Good Friday agreement and the return of a hard border in Northern Ireland. Since the British government and Irish government do not actually want any disruption of this, it is hard to see how this can be a barrier to a trade agreement with the USA. In fact, Biden's real issue will be with the EU over this, and British access to the EU free market.

Biden says Good Friday Agreement can't 'become a casualty of Brexit'

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,959.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It is a sad thing that Britain has left the EU.
It is. I’m noticing several common items in the shops no longer being available to buy due to Brexit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟95,533.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have lived in England and in Scotland.
And I have still friends in England and in Scotland.

And I am sad that the majority of voters there could fall for a hateful and un-true anti-European propaganda.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have lived in England and in Scotland.
And I have still friends in England and in Scotland.

And I am sad that the majority of voters there could fall for a hateful and un-true anti-European propaganda.

Scotland voted to remain in the EU by a large margin.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,317.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Afghanistan?

He made a hard call to end a war that had gone on too long. The costs for that are not really being born by his allies but rather the Afghan people themselves. The withdrawal was inept and clumsy though the last airlift part was well done. Britain has not been militarily involved since 2014 though the Marines were there at the airport with the Americans. It will now be harder to deport unwanted or rejected emigrants from the country as they cannot be flown directly back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Scotland voted to remain in the EU by a large margin.
And now they have the chance to leave england and return to the EU, which will welcome them with open arms.

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Spain is likely to veto that.
Yes, that is a popular myth championed by proponents of anti-independence propaganda. Thank you for echoing it.

In the meantime, reality is different.

Spain would not oppose future independent Scotland rejoining EU - minister

Asked if a Sanchez government would accept Scotland’s EU application to join if Scotland left the United Kingdom and fulfilled the requirements of the UK constitution, Borrell said: Why not? If they leave Britain in accordance with their internal regulation, if Westminster agrees ...,”

“If Westminster (Britain’s national parliament) agrees, why should we be against it? (...) I think the United Kingdom will split apart before Spain,” he told Politico in an interview before a live audience.

Sanchez is still prime minister of spain.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,307.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
That's the last time I order paella ^_^
The thing to bear in mind, is that Spain has its own regions that want independence, they'd view allowing Scotland re-entry to the EU as encouraging this

Upvote 0