Idaho
✟46,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The other day I was approached by what seemed like a nice young woman at a local bookstore and we had a friendly, casual conversation that lasted a few minutes. By the end of our conversation, she asked for my phone number and I thought it a little different but saw it as a possible opportunity to give someone the gospel. Well two days had passed and she called my phone today. I didn't answer at the time she called and she left a voicemail, sounding more business-like and less casual and friendly then our previous conversation. She had said she had a quick question for me and to call her back when I had time.

I'm definitely not a gullible person and there was enough red flags here for me to question her motives. I waited until my husband was with me to call her back and placed her on speaker. Once we got past "hello", she immediately went into a big spiel about this job offer she received in the past from a young couple who are now able to work from home and who, through this job have, "become better people". She gave a very vague job description, not really explaining what exactly it was, claiming it helped to "expand our local market" or something like that. I basically told her by the end of it all that I wasn't interested and got off the phone soon after this. I feel it was extremely manipulative of her to not only approach me knowing the agenda she had planned in her head in talking with me, but the way she also used certain things in our first conversation to try and fish me into this very vague "job offer".

In explaining all this, has this ever happened to you? Were you ever approached in person like this and what kind of a scam would this be exactly? I'm assuming a pyramid or ponzi scheme just because it seems like she's working hard to recruit people to this thing but I am interested if anyone has ever come across something different that sounds like this.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The other day I was approached by what seemed like a nice young woman at a local bookstore and we had a friendly, casual conversation that lasted a few minutes. By the end of our conversation, she asked for my phone number and I thought it a little different but saw it as a possible opportunity to give someone the gospel. Well two days had passed and she called my phone today. I didn't answer at the time she called and she left a voicemail, sounding more business-like and less casual and friendly then our previous conversation. She had said she had a quick question for me and to call her back when I had time.

I'm definitely not a gullible person and there was enough red flags here for me to question her motives. I waited until my husband was with me to call her back and placed her on speaker. Once we got past "hello", she immediately went into a big spiel about this job offer she received in the past from a young couple who are now able to work from home and who, through this job have, "become better people". She gave a very vague job description, not really explaining what exactly it was, claiming it helped to "expand our local market" or something like that. I basically told her by the end of it all that I wasn't interested and got off the phone soon after this. I feel it was extremely manipulative of her to not only approach me knowing the agenda she had planned in her head in talking with me, but the way she also used certain things in our first conversation to try and fish me into this very vague "job offer".

In explaining all this, has this ever happened to you? Were you ever approached in person like this and what kind of a scam would this be exactly? I'm assuming a pyramid or ponzi scheme just because it seems like she's working hard to recruit people to this thing but I am interested if anyone has ever come across something different that sounds like this.

Most all network marketing plans use this approach. The problem is that what they all sell is "the opportunity to sell the opportunity" to others more than they offer a better product or service.

It's usually a slightly better product in some way, but the appeal is become an independent seller....but with friends to help you...to help them. Usually you burn though all your friends and family and they usually forgive you, to some extent.

Upvote 0