HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I think that's all it is; a "buzz" maker.

It's not an Ecumenical Council as it's not being called by the Ecumenical Patriarch. Also, how can it be an Ecumenical Council when we're no longer in communion with Rome?

It's just a meeting. Nothing more, nothing less.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
Correct, but it's one of many requirements.

no, it isn't. heck, the first council was called by constantine the great.

it is currently the EC's prerogative to call a council (notwithstanding the aging issue your second sentence speaks to) but that is irrelevant to the early councils - which is what i was speaking to but probably didn't make terribly clear.

as for the see of rome...likewise irrelevant by my read...if only because the idea makes an argument that the Church, currently, is not one, holy, catholic, apostolic etc etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟71,922.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
i agree, you cant call an Ecumenical Council. you can call a council which might eventually prove to be Ecumenical. And Rome is not a member of the Church, its presence is not required. similarly, we dont need Canterbury or Ethiopia to show up for it to be Ecumenical.

Rome just needs to accept that there will be union when it returns to the true faith.

Reactions: buzuxi02
Upvote 0

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Aren't the two Photian councils considered by some to be the 8th council (as they ratified the 7th) - but we just don't call them that yet because not other ecumenical council has been called that has ratified them?

I might even extend the Palamite councils as the 9th council.

I wonder, at times, why we stick so strongly to this number 7 for our councils. That seems to imply that we stopped thinking we could govern the Church in the 700's AD, which just isn't true.

Upvote 0

HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟15,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I wonder, at times, why we stick so strongly to this number 7 for our councils. That seems to imply that we stopped thinking we could govern the Church in the 700's AD, which just isn't true.

The Councils were established to refute heresy and establish Church doctrine. As no "new" heresies have become a threat to the Church, and no new doctrine needs to be established, the need for a council is not needed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There was a 1900 year anniversary celebration for the writing of Revelation held in Patmos, the 2000th year jubilee of Christmas at Jerusalem. 1000th year anniversary of the baptism of Holy Rus. It meant nothing and this wont mean anything. And it wont take place in either Greece or Serbia because the protests over a papal visit would be to costly.
Once again papists are hoping to rescue their demoralized continent from the wolves, too little to late.

Upvote 0

ikonographics

In patience I waited patiently on the Lord
Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Aren't the two Photian councils considered by some to be the 8th council (as they ratified the 7th) - but we just don't call them that yet because not other ecumenical council has been called that has ratified them?

I might even extend the Palamite councils as the 9th council.

Exactly! You beat me to it. For those who are scratching their heads:
OODE

Upvote 0

TheCunctator

Dio, abbi pietà su questa anima miserabile!
Dec 8, 2009
✟16,399.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I was feeling enthusiastic as maybe Rome will renounce the doctrines that make us choke. I can feel optimistic, right?

You can feel whatever you want. You can even dream.

But it's not going to happen unless both the Orthodox and the Catholics walk into that council with a spirit of humility.

If the Orthodox Church truly has the fullness of the faith, than there is no point for attempting to think that some compromise can be found with Catholicism. It's wasted time.

But we all know that in such a council, both sides will come in feeling that they have the truth. So it will inevitably result in nothing.

Upvote 0