May 17, 2014
✟183,262.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've made a thread on this in a Christian only area but to be fair I'm putting one here as well for general discussion...

What are people's thoughts on Bergoglio going to Ur and partaking of such a "service". It creeps me out a little to be fair (and I'm pretty accepting of non-Christian religions which I see in a similar light to how CS Lewis took them).

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1363853550367956998?s=20

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's just a prayer service, not a Mass. I don't really have an issue with that myself, but it is another step in the RCC history of these types of things. The Pope has made some steps and missteps that would concern me if I were still a practicing Catholic.

• Agree
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,437.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I've made a thread on this in a Christian only area but to be fair I'm putting one here as well for general discussion...

What are people's thoughts on Bergoglio going to Ur and partaking of such a "service". It creeps me out a little to be fair (and I'm pretty accepting of non-Christian religions which I see in a similar light to how CS Lewis took them).

Why does it creep you out?

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why does it creep you out?

I was wondering about that also. I remember that after the 9/11 attacks, a Lutheran pastor (of the Missouri Synod—the most conservative branch of US Lutherans) got in trouble with his hierarchy for participating in an inter-faith memorial service for the victims. As I recall, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, and various other clergy also participated. Apparently, it’s a violation of LCMS rules to worship with those of other faiths. Criticizing Pope Francis for his participation is similar. It seems that the more conservative and tradition-bound the denomination, the less that ecumenism is tolerated.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
2 Corinthians 6 comes to mind. I don't fully understand why such unionization is occurring; and it does seem to be started by the Christians first, who are inviting these things. Whatever happens, may good come from it and may we not be bashful in proclaiming the Truth.

Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Is it a service?

That word tends to have a very specific meaning in the context of Christian practice. As in being a reference to the Mass/Divine Liturgy/Divine Service/etc.

An inter-faith gathering of religious representatives shouldn't be viewed as creepy at all. But if it were an inter-faith Mass, that would be problematic, because the Mass is a very specific thing--the meeting together of the Faithful in Christ's Church to hear God's word and receive the precious Sacrament of His body and blood in the Eucharist.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums