✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
*Staff edit*

The wealth of the Roman Catholic church is largely a fiction. What wealth that exists is largely tied up in land and buildings which are expensive to maintain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
How do you sell a cathedral that is both an important historical site and a magnificent work of art? Some European cities have already had to take over the maintenance of some of these buildings.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The wealth of the Roman Catholic church is largely a fiction. What wealth that exists is largely tied up in land and buildings which are expensive to maintain.

I was going to say, "Who's going to buy the Sistine Chapel or St. Peter's Basilica?", but you beat me to it. :) The only real use they have is in a religious context, or to be maintained by the state as a museum type of thing, but no other church in Italy is big enough to buy and maintain something like that, and the state isn't going to buy them because of the purchase cost and the on-going upkeep costs- they *might* take them over and try to sell tickets to tourists if the Church outright abandoned them. In theory, buildings like that, combined, are worth more money than Scrooge McDuck has in his vault, creating a huge theoretical economic valuation for the Roman Catholic Church as a whole, but it's not liquid (spendable) wealth and can't be translated to liquid wealth very easily. I mean, they could knock down the buildings and sell the land, but the main value is in the buildings and they'd be tearing down cultural treasures that are important to the world as art and historical landmarks and buildings beyond their religious significance.

Besides, the whole issue isn't really relevant to the topic of the thread. Whether the Roman Catholic Church does enough for the poor or not, the point the Pope makes is still valid as just a point in isolation, regardless of who said it- that governments have an obligation to care for the poor and to protect minorities. That obligation wouldn't disappear even if one could prove that everyone calling for it is a hypocrite. That's what we call an ad hominen argument- attacking the person and ignoring the actual content of the message.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

Another poster just rated this post as "funny". I assure you that I was very serious and was not trying to be funny at all. I don't get it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
What we want is a fight against inequality, this is the biggest evil that exists in the world today."
Can I disagree with the Pope here? :)
I think inequality is unavoidable. There will always be rich and poor. All we can do is try to narrow the gap a little. Equality of wealth as a goal is too idealistic. That was supposed to be e a tenet of communism. "we are all equal, except some of us are more equal than others"
Also the biggest evil that exists is hatred in my opinion.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The more I get back into Catholicism, the more relieved I am, that I am not rich. :)

But it is a lot easier to cry your heart out in Rolls Royce than on a bicycle.;)

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The more I get back into Catholicism, the more relieved I am, that I am not rich. :)

I think a lot of people need to learn how to be content with what they have and be thankful rather than covet and crave for more and more possessions. Neither money or more possessions will bring inner peace or genuine joy into their life.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
a lot of people need to learn how to be content with what they have and be thankful rather than covet and crave
Couldn't agree more. Maybe the Pope was getting at "greed". Greed is the root of the problem.

• Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FROM THE ARTICLE:
"Throughout the interview the pope reinforced his concern for the disadvantaged and said his greatest worry was for migrants and refugees who were forced to flee their countries and the poor in wealthy countries afraid to accept them."

is the pope more worried about the poor migrants and refugees than the poor in wealthy countries? I wonder why that would be.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
is the pope more worried about the poor migrants and refugees than the poor in wealthy countries?
You mean like the poor blue collar workers who are barely making a living? The ones who were born in America? This group or demographic seems to get ignored or overlooked. Just make enough money not to depend on charities but barely make enough to afford vacations for example. Life is just work to survive.

Upvote 0