Pope Francis praises Fr. James Martin’s pro-LGBT conference as promoting ‘the culture of encounter’

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Faithful Catholics had protested the LGBT conference organized by Fr. Martin, an event which Pope Francis said ‘enriches us with our differences.’

(LifeSiteNews) — Pope Francis has once again written to dissident, pro-LGBT Jesuit Father James Martin, praising the priest for a scandalous LGBT conference he recently hosted and for the “culture of encounter” he promotes amongst “LGBT Catholics.”

Fr. Martin S.J. announced that Outreach – “a new LGBTQ Catholic resource” he recently set up – had sent the Pope details about Outreach’s recent conference, which featured a range of pro-LGBT speakers advocating positions contrary to the Catholic Church’s teaching on homosexuality.

Pro-LGBT Bishop John Stowe, OFM Conv., of Lexington, Kentucky, gave the keynote address the first day of the conference, while Fr. Bryan Massingale, a dissident, openly homosexual priest and Fordham University professor who supports same-sex “marriage,” delivered a keynote speech the second day.

Martin noted that accompanying the conference brochure sent to the Pope was a letter “describing what happened at the conference, especially the panel conversations among people with various viewpoints.”

On the morning of August 2, Outreach received a signed letter in Spanish from Francis by way of a response, which was dated July 20. Fr. Martin’s tweet, announcing the letter, was “liked” by the Pontifical Academy for Life.

Continued below.
Pope Francis praises Fr. James Martin’s pro-LGBT conference as promoting ‘the culture of encounter’ - LifeSite

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Francis has hinted that once he returns from his trip to Canada to apologize to the Indians for what some Europeans did 400 years ago, he might decide to step down and retire.

Let us all hope that he does. Then he can fade away in some comfortable apartment in Rome with his little wooden Pachmama totems and his leather-bound editions of James Martin's homilies, and make way for a pontiff who will actually uphold and defend the Catholic Faith.

Pope Francis Says He May Need to Consider 'Stepping Aside' Following Trip to Canada

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Francis has hinted that once he returns from his trip to Canada to apologize to the Indians for what some Europeans did 400 years ago, he might decide to step down and retire.

Let us all hope that he does. Then he can fade away in some comfortable apartment in Rome with his little wooden Pachmama totems and his leather-bound editions of James Martin's homilies, and make way for a pontiff who will actually uphold and defend the Catholic Faith.

Pope Francis Says He May Need to Consider 'Stepping Aside' Following Trip to Canada

The next pope could be Francis 2.0. Your "signature" says, "When a man reaches his sixties, his warranty expires." There is a last day for humanity on earth too. I never thought I'd live to see that day, but now, in the shadow of a pope Francis, I'm not so sure.

• Agree
Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I just have no idea how anyone can believe this guy was chosen by the Holy Spirit. The gates of hell are here and they won't prevail, but they're here.

Jesus chose Judas - and that means the Holy Spirit did too. God needed a Judas, to complete salvation history - could He not again? Be ready. Let not that day surprise you, like a thief in the night....

• Agree
Reactions: eastcoast_bsc
Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just have no idea how anyone can believe this guy was chosen by the Holy Spirit. The gates of hell are here and they won't prevail, but they're here.

There have been other popes in history who were not good and they were valid popes. Just because a pope says or endorses things that are not good doesn't mean they weren't chosen by the Holy Spirit.

• Agree
Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,883.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The cardinals in a conclave certainly invoke the Holy Spirit and seek his guidance, but that does not mean that the Holy Spirit will override their free will. I mean, just watching the pope choose the cardinals he does shows that imo.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I just have no idea how anyone can believe this guy was chosen by the Holy Spirit.
I don't believe it and pope Benedict didn't believe it either. The electors are free individually to submit to OR TO REJECT the guidance of the Holy Spirit. So we get some mixture of holy and impious electors.

A pope is not sinless, and may be very unwise. I am hoping that the Holy Spirit can still keep a pope, one way or another, from blundering when it comes to official acts of teaching faith and morals. At least unofficially this one has been a train wreck.

Upvote 0