Pope Francis Denounces ‘Body-Shaming,’ Admits to Bullying Overweight Friend as a Child

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,676,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Pope highlighted the dignity and value of all human persons.

In a Tuesday video call with university students from South Asia, Pope Francis highlighted the dignity and value of all human persons, denouncing “body-shaming,” and admitting to bullying an overweight boy as a child.

The Pope’s comments were given during a livestreamed dialogue with students titled “Building Bridges Across South Asia,” which was hosted by Chicago’s Loyola University and the Pontifical Commission for Latin America.

The full recorded conversation can be accessed here.

Responding to a question raised by Merlin Rosemary, a student at St. Joseph’s University in Bengaluru, India, Francis said that body-shaming is “something artificial” that disrupts the ability to live “in harmony with your hearts.”

“It’s not only a question of measurements or sizes, it’s a harmonic beauty that every woman, every man, has, and we have to cherish that,” Francis said.

“I recall a friend of mine, who was a bit overweight and we would actually mock him, I daresay, bullying him,” the Pope confessed to the students.

Continued below.