USA
✟8,183.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
So you get to be the definitive interpreter of authentic Christianity and authentic Islam, and then get to condemn everybody regardless of whether their faith fits your definition or not?

No. I've stated facts. There is not one passage in the New Testament that commands believers to use violence in evangelization.

I find it funny that you purposefully left out the OT. So about 3/4 of the bible you won't speak for but will only say the last 1/4 of the bible doesn't have violent passages.

You are also incorrect on that.

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person's enemies will be those of his own household." - Matthew 10:34-36

"Brother will deliver brother over to death, and the father his child, and children will rise against parents and have them put to death" - Matt 10:21

"17 Then I saw an angel standing in the sun, and with a loud voice he called to all the birds that fly directly overhead, “Come, gather for the great supper of God, 18 to eat the flesh of kings, the flesh of captains, the flesh of mighty men, the flesh of horses and their riders, and the flesh of all men, both free and slave,[e] both small and great.” 19 And I saw the beast and the kings of the earth with their armies gathered to make war against him who was sitting on the horse and against his army. 20 And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence[f] had done the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur. 21 And the rest were slain by the sword that came from the mouth of him who was sitting on the horse, and all the birds were gorged with their flesh." - Rev 19:17-21

Anyone can pull passages out of the book and claim that they are about violence without putting them in any context or letting believers who have studied the book and it's roots explain to you the context.

What you do is no better then what atheists do regarding the bible.

Yeah, your passages prove my point. Christians end up getting martyred, but we're never commanded to go out and use swords to spread our faith. I never said there's no violence in the NT, but I did say that there's no passage which commands Christians to use violence to spread the faith. I'd love to see anything remotely like that, I see a whole bunch of turn the other cheek and rendering unto Caesar and going the extra mile when pressed. The people getting turned over, they're Christians. This is Jesus saying, "Hey, you might lose your life if you follow me."

The OT myths (in the Socratic/academic sense, not the made-up sense), even when violent, do not command the spread of a religion via violence. When the Israelites were commanded to use violence, let's remember their enemy. Their enemies worshiped Baal by putting infants in the hands of heated copper to immolate themselves a sacrifice. God was using the Israelites to bring justice, which I think is more the point than whether or not battles and wars historically took place. Thank goodness we've moved past times where a civilization would intentionally kill its own children...

Upvote 0