✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
dummy-man.png

Did you know that in the early church there were itinerant preachers who traveled around and would often be welcomed into the church communities. Since church communities met and gathered in private homes--and usually the homes of the more well-to-do members, very often wealthy widows), this would also be the place where such traveling preachers would preach. This was a perfectly acceptable thing in the ancient Christian world. But not every traveling preacher and teacher was up to scratch, and so early Christian writers such as St. Paul and the writers of St. John's letters (among others) were emphatic to talk about right teaching and wrong teaching; and if there were false teachers, false preachers (read: false prophets) to not accept their teaching. Don't accept them into your house and feed them and support their false "ministry" because their work was not benefiting the Christian Church but doing injuring by turning people away from true faith.

So with these things in mind, let's take a look at 2 John, yup, the whole thing--it's okay, it's short!

"The elder to the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth, and not only I but also all who know the truth, because of the truth that abides in us and will be with us forever: Grace, mercy, and peace will be with us from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Father's Son, in truth and love.

I was overjoyed to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as we have been commanded by the Father. But now, dear lady, I ask you, not as though I were writing you a new commandment, but one we have had from the beginning, let us love one another. And this is love, that we walk according to his commandments; this is the commandment just as you have heard it from the beginning—you must walk in it.

Many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh; any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist! Be on your guard, so that you do not lose what we have worked for, but may receive a full reward. Everyone who does not abide in the teaching of Christ, but goes beyond it, does not have God; whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. Do not receive into the house or welcome anyone who comes to you and does not bring this teaching; for to welcome is to participate in the evil deeds of such a person.

Although I have much to write to you, I would rather not use paper and ink; instead I hope to come to you and talk with you face to face, so that our joy may be complete.

The children of your elect sister send you their greetings.
"

Based on the content of both 1 and 2 John the general understanding is that the false teachers--the antichrists in question--were an early sect of Gnostics or Proto-Gnostics, specifically Docetists.

What did the Docetists believe? Well their name comes from the Greek word dokeo, meaning "to seem"; for they taught that Jesus only seemed to be have flesh, but was in truth a divine specter, an apparition. Thus they rejected that Jesus was a human being, but was a divine apparition--this from the writer's viewpoint was clearly not acceptable, and so instructs the matron of the church not to invite such persons into her home--into the church--and give them a place to preach and teach their heretical doctrines.

Isn't learning fun?

the_more_you_know2.jpg

-CryptoLutheran

What are you trying to teach me?

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree to that. This pope has been a dedicated practitioner of Tokenism from the day he took office, and this is another example. Everyone is supposed to be morally bound to take in all these migrants, but not Vatican City--a small but sovereign nation that could easily house and give refuge to hundreds--and not any of the Pope's other properties.

Did you miss post #14? seems they're taking in two families so far. :wave:
tulc(is going to need more coffee soon) :sigh:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Did you miss post #14? seems they're taking in two families so far.

They're taking in TWO FAMILIES! Quick, I'm about to faint at the scope of it all.

Or didn't you catch the mention of "Tokenism??"

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They're taking in TWO FAMILIES! Quick, I'm about to faint at the scope of it all.

Or didn't you catch the mention of "Tokenism??"

two families means there are now two families that had to flee their country and all they've known to go and hope for the kindness of strangers. Kindness that is evidently something worthy of being derided about. Seriously Albion, you and brinny are better then this. :sigh:
tulc(thinks kindness is something to be applauded not scorned)

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
two families means there are now two families that had to flee their country and all they've known to go and hope for the kindness of strangers. Kindness that is evidently something worthy of being derided about. Seriously Albion, you and brinny are better then this. :sigh:
tulc(thinks kindness is something to be applauded not scorned)

I agree about kindness, and compassion my friend, however i won't go tooo deeply into it (i would be happy to elaborate if you wish).

Two families? What ELSE is he doing to help these ones that have no place to call home, and are thought of as a "plague" the world over it seems?

What about the CAUSE of all of the fleeing ones, which is ISIS (and anything behind ISIS)? What is he saying/doing about the cause of it all to begin with?

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree about kindness, and compassion my friend, however i won't go tooo deeply into it (i would be happy to elaborate if you wish).

Two families? What ELSE is he doing to help these ones that have no place to call home, and are thought of as a "plague" the world over it seems?

What about the CAUSE of all of the fleeing ones, which is ISIS (and anything behind ISIS)? What is he saying/doing about the cause of it all to begin with?

Didn't read the OP for this thread huh? :scratch:
tulc(go ahead, he can wait...) :wave:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
two families means there are now two families that had to flee their country and all they've known to go and hope for the kindness of strangers. Kindness that is evidently something worthy of being derided about.
Cmon. You are working so hard to obscure the point. :sigh:

You know we're right about the "Do as I say, not as I do" quality of this. Frankly, it should embarrass anyone who has a high opinion of the Pope that this is his contribution, especially after lecturing the rest of the world on their moral responsibilities and telling them to take in far more people than he wants anywhere near his property. He's telling monasteries, etc. to take in people, but Vatican City, a sovereign nation which is bigger than those friaries, convents, and so on...well, no.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Wow...if the Pope and ISIS interests you maybe you should start a thread about that so you can discuss it there? It is kind of amazing how when someone, who is actually doing something to help people in need, all some people want to know is why they aren't doing more. :sigh:
tulc(is going to need a lot of coffee after this)

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Wow...if the Pope and ISIS interests you maybe you should start a thread about that so you can discuss it there? It is kind of amazing how when someone, who is actually doing something to help people in need, all some people want to know is why they aren't doing more. :sigh:
tulc(is going to need a lot of coffee after this)

The Pope, speaking of others helping refugees, surely has everything to do with what he himself is doing and has been doing, and in addition, speaking of the CAUSE of the refugees fleeing in the first place, doesn't it?

*have some coffee, my friend, i've got enough for both of us*

Cream or sugar?

bunn-coffee-maker-20835-0004-RT.gif

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What are you trying to teach me?

What part of my post did you find confusing? I'll be more than happy to clarify whatever points weren't well understood.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What part of my post did you find confusing? I'll be more than happy to clarify whatever points weren't well understood.

-CryptoLutheran

What are you trying to enlighten me on using scripture?

I have no clue what you think I missed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What are you trying to enlighten me on using scripture?

I have no clue what you think I missed

You used the passage in 2 John to say that we shouldn't invite those who disagree with us theologically into our home. That's not what it says.

It is instructing a specific woman who is the matron of the church whose house was used for Christian worship to not allow false teachers to come in and give them a platform to preach to the Church.

In modern terms: Don't let heretical guest speakers come to your church and use your church building as a soapbox to voice their heretical opinions.

This passage simply can't refer to letting Muslims and other non-Christians into your home. That's not what it means, that's not what it ever means, and so to use it that way is 100% wrong.

If we care about truth this should matter. I presumed you might care about truth, and might want to change your opinion in light of truth and fact; in order that perhaps you might be able to better serve Christ by being a person who would not refuse someone coming into your home simply because they're Muslim.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ah, yes...the irony. The leader of the richest religious organization in the world, with cash, gold, property, and art holdings totaling in the hundreds of billions of dollars... telling everyone else they'd better be charitable or give up their tax exempt status.

When he sent out that message, did he do it from the car phone installed in the G-class Mercedes that he rolls around in?

doing-it-wrong-pope.png

Upvote 0