united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Just a few weeks before he resigned

Pope Benedict XVI issued this frightening warning to all Christians

"The time of testing is here. We must not use God for our own ends. ... Don't be afraid to fight the evil spirit." What is important is that we do it alongside Christ the Victor. ... We must reject the false images of the Messiah as Jesus did when faced with the temptations the Temptor presented Him with, the most serious of which is using God for one's own ends."

Are You Ready to Be a Martyr?

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
Near Pittsburgh, which is NOT in Scotland!
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

"The time of testing is here. We must not use God for our own ends. ... Don't be afraid to fight the evil spirit." What is important is that we do it alongside Christ the Victor. ... We must reject the false images of the Messiah as Jesus did when faced with the temptations the Temptor presented Him with, the most serious of which is using God for one's own ends."

i'm about as far from Roman Catholic as one can get, and i can identify with much of what...(just what does one call a retired pope:scratch:) Joseph Ratzinger is saying here. In a nut shell, he has identified many issues that cross the Catholic-Protestant line and are a serious concern for all Christians.

One thing it appears that he will never get over is his time as head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. He was here still working the role of an apologist...and that means a lot more than merely defending the distinctives of Catholicism, as he well knows. i suspect apologetics was where his true talents lay.

Even as a non-Catholic, this is discernible to me. He was able to cut through a lot of the ecumenical nonsense that goes on these days, and i respect him for that...even where i disagree with him.

The sad fact is that i believe the Church Universal was more united when it's branches were at each other's throats over doctrine than they were with today's theology of the lowest common denominator.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
i'm about as far from Roman Catholic as one can get, and i can identify with much of what...(just what does one call a retired pope:scratch:) Joseph Ratzinger is saying here. In a nut shell, he has identified many issues that cross the Catholic-Protestant line and are a serious concern for all Christians.

One thing it appears that he will never get over is his time as head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. He was here still working the role of an apologist...and that means a lot more than merely defending the distinctives of Catholicism, as he well knows. i suspect apologetics was where his true talents lay.

Even as a non-Catholic, this is discernible to me. He was able to cut through a lot of the ecumenical nonsense that goes on these days, and i respect him for that...even where i disagree with him.

The sad fact is that i believe the Church Universal was more united when it's branches were at each other's throats over doctrine than they were with today's theology of the lowest common denominator.

thank you for this.^^^

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single

I cannot even begin to describe how great I think this post is!
Kudos to you for this is spirit filled.

You said it, ecumenical nonsense indeed.
What keeps on baffling me is the lack of any room for polemics in ecumenism.

Could any of the reformers, church fathers, saints, martyrs or the very apostles themselves have accepted the lukewarmness of the humanly created ecumenism?

I think the answer is rather obvious.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single

To all Christians, all Christians indeed.
I start to think that regardless of colors and stripes we conservatives are in this together.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
just what does one call a retired pope:scratch:

We Catholics tends to call them popes when referring to writings and such from their time as pope and cardinals etc in regards to writings they've written prior to their papal election.

We're however not used to have two popes as is the case now, but that mess is a totally different story.

Non Catholics will imho do fine either using his civil name or his papal one as they see fit.

• Agree
Upvote 0

mea kulpa

Benedictine Traditional Catholic
Feb 9, 2016
united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I want to say thank you for this too. When things go down i am sure many of us will stand together as brothers and sisters in christ. We will apostazie together and be martyred together.

The Warning of Pope Benedict XVI fullfills the Warning of Pope John Paul II in 1980

"We must prepare ourselves to suffer great trials before long, such as will demand of us a disposition to give up even life, and a total dedication to Christ and for Christ. ... With your and my prayer it is possible to mitigate this tribulation, but it is no longer possible to avert it, because only thus can the Church be effectively renewed. How many times has the renewal of the Church sprung from blood! This time, too, it will not be otherwise. We must be strong and prepared, and trust in Christ and His Mother, and be very, very assiduous in praying the Rosary"

The fact Pope Benedict XVI issued a "state of necessity" for the church along with his questionable retirement a few weeks after this statement makes me wonder if the church has intentionally installed a antipope and is intentionally collapsing the faith in order to protect the faithful from a coming persecution.

Pope benedict xvi said he feels "protected" under the papacy of francis

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I want to say thank you for this too. When things go down i am sure many of us will stand together as brothers and sisters in christ. We will apostazie together and be martyred together.

The Warning of Pope Benedict XVI fullfills the Warning of Pope John Paul II in 1980

"We must prepare ourselves to suffer great trials before long, such as will demand of us a disposition to give up even life, and a total dedication to Christ and for Christ. ... With your and my prayer it is possible to mitigate this tribulation, but it is no longer possible to avert it, because only thus can the Church be effectively renewed. How many times has the renewal of the Church sprung from blood! This time, too, it will not be otherwise. We must be strong and prepared, and trust in Christ and His Mother, and be very, very assiduous in praying the Rosary"

The fact Pope Benedict XVI issued a "state of necessity" for the church along with his questionable retirement a few weeks after this statement makes me wonder if the church has intentionally installed a antipope and is intentionally collapsing the faith in order to protect the faithful from a coming persecution.

Pope benedict xvi said he feels "protected" under the papacy of francis

on that last I would disagree with you.
the only protection I find in the bible during the time of persecution is the fleeing of those who believe in God to the city of hiding and refuge found in Petra. Jerusalem itself will be attacked.
The act of flight for a time in the face of persecution is well known and exhibited in both the OT and the NT.

as for Pope Benedict XVI feeling 'protected' under francis, there is a well known psychological syndrome among captives who are forced into captivity against their will, where they begin to falsely identify with their captors and prefer captivity to freedom in an attempt to cope with and rationalize their continued imprisonment.

Upvote 0

mea kulpa

Benedictine Traditional Catholic
Feb 9, 2016
united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
on that last I would disagree with you.
the only protection I find in the bible during the time of persecution is the fleeing of those who believe in God to the city of hiding and refuge found in Petra. Jerusalem itself will be attacked.
The act of flight for a time in the face of persecution is well known and exhibited in both the OT and the NT.

as for Pope Benedict XVI feeling 'protected' under francis, there is a well known psychological syndrome among captives who are forced into captivity against their will, where they begin to falsely identify with their captors and prefer captivity to freedom in an attempt to cope with and rationalize their continued imprisonment.

The stockholm syndrome

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums