Pope’s Top Advisor Cardinal Sean O’Malley Reproaches Pontiff

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
O’Malley, who is Francis’ top advisor on clerical sex abuse, said he did not know why Francis chose the words he did.

Cardinal Sean O’Malley issued a strongly worded statement Saturday reproaching Pope Francis for the pontiff’s accusations in Chile last week that victims of the country’s most notorious pedophile priest were slandering a church official they say covered up the case.

“Words that convey the message ‘if you cannot prove your claims then you will not be believed’ abandon those who have suffered reprehensible criminal violations of their human dignity and relegate survivors to discredited exile,” O’Malley said.

Full statement is within the link:

Cardinal O’Malley speaks out against pope’s comment to sex abuse victims in Chile - The Boston Globe

• Informative
Reactions: Glaucus

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
But I thought only stupid people and anti-Catholics and Pope bashers would believe this story? Fake news! Fake news! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Exactly. Cardinal Sean has been Pope Francis’s point man and understands very clearly the damage the Pontiff’s inflicted.

• Agree
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the article, it was stated that the right words are often spoken with no action behind them. I think a lot of us feel this way.

Statements and apologies only go so far. Like all politics, It's ugly. But church politics are much uglier.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
This is the first time that Pope Francis said something that really disappointed me, though I was saddened by him allowing the former Boston Archbishop to receive a funeral in the Vatican.

That bothered me to no end. He was completely tone deaf to the feelings of the flock.

I wish those here who so vociferously defend the Pope would realize that this is a good thing. There may be hurt and pain, but to quote Martin Luther King Jr “ The arc of the moral universe may be long, but it bends toward justice”

We can”t have this any longer. The church is supposed to be the moral voice but are becoming the laughing stock.

Upvote 0