Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
So far EWTN, in particular Raymond Arroyo, have been doing all of the punching. From even before Pachamama there have been 'World Over' items critical of goings on in the Vatican. It has been a long string of punches that have hit their target. The Vatican is now punching back.

Cardinal Parolin addressed a meeting of European affiliates of EWTN on October 19th. Hannah Brockhaus has the CNA version of the story. It's OK but pulled some punches.
Read it here: Cardinal Parolin to EWTN: Truth must be ‘fearlessly upheld’

For what REALLY happened, and with a hint to what is to come we need to look at the same story from Mike Lewis' article about the same event as found in the wherepeteris.com website. It reads VERY differently. For example, the title reads 'Cardinal Parolin calls on EWTN to support the pope'. The article gets pointed after that. Read it here:
Cardinal Parolin calls on EWTN to support the pope

"These words, expressing the hope that people may see “EWTN as a work of God,” serve as a challenge to the network. EWTN has, through its news outlets and television broadcasts, been a constant source of lies, calumny, and slander against the pope and the faithful Catholics who remain loyal him and to the Magisterium of the Church. Pope Francis has said they do “the work of the devil.” These words went ignored by the network, and, based upon several of their recent television programs, this continues to be the case."

"Although the coverage of the speech by EWTN’s wire service, Catholic News Agency, did not associate the cardinal’s speech with the network’s antagonism towards the pope, other journalists interpreted it as a clear message about their behavior in recent years. For example, Christopher White of the National Catholic Reporter wrote, “The remarks from Parolin, who is widely regarded as a cautious diplomat, mark a rare occasion in the pope’s nearly decadelong papacy that the Vatican has directly criticized the network, which attests to its commitment to ‘redemptive Catholic journalism.'”

"Crux’s Elise Ann Allen also noted the network’s long history of antagonism towards the current pontificate, noting that in the past, “EWTN had come under fire from Cardinal Sean O’Malley from Boston, saying both social media and the EWTN network have created a distorted image of Pope Francis in the United States.”

The difference between these two articles is telling. I think Mike Lewis actually tells us better what happened and is happening.

So the Vatican does not like EWTN because EWTN has been critical of the Vatican in the last several years. The message is that EWTN must say nice things about the pope and the Vatican. Not, for example, giving time to people like cardinal Muller. I expect now that the Parolin speech is out there, we will very soon see the usual American cardinals (Cupich, Tobin, McElroy, Ferrel) and their friends calling for an investigation and an eventual suppression of EWTN if EWTN decides not to play nice with the Vatican by only saying favorable things about the goings on there. Just for an example, I suspect EWTN should have extolled how wonderful the most recent appointments of Pope Francis to the Pontifical Academy for Life which were made Oct. 15 and included the atheist and pro-abortion economist Mariana Mazzucato as well as Msgr. Philippe Bordeyne, a theologian critical of St. Paul VI’s encyclical Humanae Vitae, on the regulation of birth. EWTN shouldn't have been critical at all of the pope on this matter. Not if they don't want to be shut down.

EWTN took a great leap when Mother Angelica came out against Cardinal Mahoney. That was a famous and well needed tirade. I guess she shouldn't have done that either. And EWTN should have praised Pachamama. And should be running stories preparing us for the reversal of Humanae Vitae I suppose. EWTN is too divisive, too hateful, not supportive of every move of the pope. And EWTN must reverse that or die. We shall see, but I expect the anti-EWTN campaign to take off within days.

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So far EWTN, in particular Raymond Arroyo, have been doing all of the punching. From even before Pachamama there have been 'World Over' items critical of goings on in the Vatican. It has been a long string of punches that have hit their target. The Vatican is now punching back.

Cardinal Parolin addressed a meeting of European affiliates of EWTN on October 19th. Hannah Brockhaus has the CNA version of the story. It's OK but pulled some punches.

For what REALLY happened, and with a hint to what is to come we need to look at the same story from Mike Lewis' article about the same event as found in the wherepeteris.com website. It reads VERY differently. For example, the title reads 'Cardinal Parolin calls on EWTN to support the pope'. The article gets pointed after that. Read it here:

"These words, expressing the hope that people may see “EWTN as a work of God,” serve as a challenge to the network. EWTN has, through its news outlets and television broadcasts, been a constant source of lies, calumny, and slander against the pope and the faithful Catholics who remain loyal him and to the Magisterium of the Church. Pope Francis has said they do “the work of the devil.” These words went ignored by the network, and, based upon several of their recent television programs, this continues to be the case."

"Although the coverage of the speech by EWTN’s wire service, Catholic News Agency, did not associate the cardinal’s speech with the network’s antagonism towards the pope, other journalists interpreted it as a clear message about their behavior in recent years. For example, Christopher White of the National Catholic Reporter wrote, “The remarks from Parolin, who is widely regarded as a cautious diplomat, mark a rare occasion in the pope’s nearly decadelong papacy that the Vatican has directly criticized the network, which attests to its commitment to ‘redemptive Catholic journalism.'”

"Crux’s Elise Ann Allen also noted the network’s long history of antagonism towards the current pontificate, noting that in the past, “EWTN had come under fire from Cardinal Sean O’Malley from Boston, saying both social media and the EWTN network have created a distorted image of Pope Francis in the United States.”

The difference between these two articles is telling. I think Mike Lewis actually tells us better what happened and is happening.

So the Vatican does not like EWTN because EWTN has been critical of the Vatican in the last several years. The message is that EWTN must say nice things about the pope and the Vatican. Not, for example, giving time to people like cardinal Muller. I expect now that the Parolin speech is out there, we will very soon see the usual American cardinals (Cupich, Tobin, McElroy, Ferrel) and their friends calling for an investigation and an eventual suppression of EWTN if EWTN decides not to play nice with the Vatican by only saying favorable things about the goings on there. Just for an example, I suspect EWTN should have extolled how wonderful the most recent appointments of Pope Francis to the Pontifical Academy for Life which were made Oct. 15 and included the atheist and pro-abortion economist Mariana Mazzucato as well as Msgr. Philippe Bordeyne, a theologian critical of St. Paul VI’s encyclical Humanae Vitae, on the regulation of birth. EWTN shouldn't have been critical at all of the pope on this matter. Not if they don't want to be shut down.

EWTN took a great leap when Mother Angelica came out against Cardinal Mahoney. That was a famous and well needed tirade. I guess she shouldn't have done that either. And EWTN should have praised Pachamama. And should be running stories preparing us for the reversal of Humanae Vitae I suppose. EWTN is too divisive, too hateful, not supportive of every move of the pope. And EWTN must reverse that or die. We shall see, but I expect the anti-EWTN campaign to take off within days.
I stand by the teachings of the Church as EWTN does. It’s those within the Vatican that seem to be straying on to the wide path.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I stand by the teachings of the Church as EWTN does. It’s those within the Vatican that seem to be straying on to the wide path.
They don't like you talking about them in that way.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yeah they just want me to pay and pray. I’m not that type when it comes to the things they are doing now.
I think they are preparing to get very heavy handed, of course in a 'synodal way' like they shut down the TLM because we have to listen to everybody and walk with them.

• Prayers
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I suspect cardinal Muller will be silenced too, any day now. Did you watch that interview of Muller on 'World Over' two weeks ago?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I suspect cardinal Muller will be silenced too, any day now. Did you watch that interview of Muller on 'World Over' two weeks ago?
I intended to but I was busy helping mom so I missed it. I should of set it to record.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I stopped watching EWTN when Raymond Arroyo falsely claimed that Sister Carol Keehan,
supported abortion. Sister Carol Keehan(former president of The Catholic Health Association) and a woman who was head of a pro-life organization (I forget her name), went on Arroyo's program, "The World Over." Sister Keehan staunchly refuted the accusation that she supported abortion and said outright that she is prolife and opposes abortion. Sister Keehan had dedicated her life to providing healthcare to poor people. Despite this, the pro-life woman was rude to her and sitting there wearing her jewelry and fine clothes, I had to wonder, what she knew about serving the poor compared to Sister Carol Keehan?

Anyway, Raymond Arroyo admitted he had just reported what another source had reported and said that he was wrong. Despite that, the accusation against Sister Carol Keehan was all over the conservative Catholic Social Media sites like Catholic Answers Forum, which is now shut down.

Then, what EWTN did to Bishop Foley was wrong and disobedient to him and the Church.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟798,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I especially like the teachings of Fr. Mitch Pacwa and Fr. Gerald E. Murray. They have no problem teaching biblical truth without fear.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,582,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I especially like the teachings of Fr. Mitch Pacwa and Fr. Gerald E. Murray. They have no problem teaching biblical truth without fear.
I agree. Thank God for Mother Angelica’s vision and EWTN! :)

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I agree. Thank God for Mother Angelica’s vision and EWTN! :)
Agreed! Mother Angelica did much good for the Church in her life.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Let all voices be heard with love but I'll will stick with the Vatican.
The Vatican of Paul VI, or of John Paul II, or of Benedict XVI, or of Francis I? They didn’t use to terribly differ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,623.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I stopped watching EWTN when Raymond Arroyo falsely claimed that Sister Carol Keehan,
supported abortion. Sister Carol Keehan(former president of The Catholic Health Association) and a woman who was head of a pro-life organization (I forget her name), went on Arroyo's program, "The World Over." Sister Keehan staunchly refuted the accusation that she supported abortion and said outright that she is prolife and opposes abortion. Sister Keehan had dedicated her life to providing healthcare to poor people. Despite this, the pro-life woman was rude to her and sitting there wearing her jewelry and fine clothes, I had to wonder, what she knew about serving the poor compared to Sister Carol Keehan?

Anyway, Raymond Arroyo admitted he had just reported what another source had reported and said that he was wrong. Despite that, the accusation against Sister Carol Keehan was all over the conservative Catholic Social Media sites like Catholic Answers Forum, which is now shut down.
Sounds like Arroyo admitted he made a mistake. In the mean time Sister Carol Keehan had a very contentious time with the USCCB. One might even say she was disobedient to the bishops in getting Obamacare approved before abortion issues were resolved properly. So we got Obamacare WITH abortion instead of Obamacare WITHOUT abortion as the USCCB had desired.
Then, what EWTN did to Bishop Foley was wrong and disobedient to him and the Church.
What? Appealing to the Vatican his 1999 decision which forbade ad orientem worship in his diocese? Canon law does allow for such appeals.

I think bishop Foley was more forgiving than you have managed to be. He spent time at Mother Angelica's bedside after her stroke even after the appeal.

Nobody has to 'like' EWTN. Or to watch Raymond Arroyo. My point in the OP is that some things are beginning to happen that may lead to the suppression of EWTN. Like it or not.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have thoughts about what I'd do if I ran the network, we need a lot more voices on there like Arroyo. The same way Fox has a lineup of heavyweights from Tucker to Hannity to Watters. If it were up to me I'd carve out a larger prime time block for additional commentary-based programming and give podcasters like Timothy Flanders, Tim Gordon, and Eric Sammons platforms to adapt their shows for broadcasting but with the same no-holds-barred approach).

I wish Arroyo wasn't the only one landing haymakers against Francis and the College of Cardinals, this is the only sort of check. It's not like we're the Washington Post about to take down the Nixon administration, we can't force Francis to do anything with our reporting. So he needs to a) check his heterodoxy and b) grow a thicker skin. I feel like the rest of our shows are a soft touch.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟185,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like Arroyo admitted he made a mistake. In the mean time Sister Carol Keehan had a very contentious time with the USCCB. One might even say she was disobedient to the bishops in getting Obamacare approved before abortion issues were resolved properly. So we got Obamacare WITH abortion instead of Obamacare WITHOUT abortion as the USCCB had desired.

What? Appealing to the Vatican his 1999 decision which forbade ad orientem worship in his diocese? Canon law does allow for such appeals.

I think bishop Foley was more forgiving than you have managed to be. He spent time at Mother Angelica's bedside after her stroke even after the appeal.

Nobody has to 'like' EWTN. Or to watch Raymond Arroyo. My point in the OP is that some things are beginning to happen that may lead to the suppression of EWTN. Like it or not.

Yeah, she was on Raymond Arroyo about that time after he said she was supporting abortion and it was a rumor that she got into a contentious time with the USCCB, that did not actually happen. In fact, the USCCB praised her for her work with the Catholic Health Association. Sister Keehan denied being proabortion or prochoice, but that she was prolife and lived her life supporting poor women and the babies they had. The pro-life woman just kept rudely calling her, "proabortion" and never looking at her.

Bishop Foley's program was removed from EWTN after he got into an argument with Mother Angelica, who wanted the priests to celebrate Mass at the TV Chappel and the Shrine, “ad orientem," and he insisted that they face the people per Vatican II. It went all the way to the
Vatican, which supported Bishop Foley as far as the televised Mass at the EWTN Chapel, that the priest must face the people. At the Shrine however, because it was under Mother Angelica's order of The Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration and the Franciscans, they could set the norm on this issue. Religious Orders are not under the local Bishop, but the General Provincial in Rome.

I didn't hold anything against Mother Angelica as you accuse me of, as I supported her at that
time. However, I thought she should've shown some respect to the bishop.

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟124,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Well I hope that "the Vatican" will be moved to express their hearts as clearly and loudly and precisely as possible. There should be no barriers between the Vatican's press releases and truth. Let the mouth express the fullness of the heart, so we can all know unambiguously where we ought to stand before God and men, in these days of hypocrisy, ambiguity and eloquent double-speak.
Mt 10:34 "Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.
Mt 10:35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law;
Mt 10:36 and a man's foes will be those of his own household.
Mt 10:37 He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me;
Mt 10:38 and he who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
Mt 10:39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for my sake will find it.​

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟423,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was thinking, if a pope is materially but not formally a heretic is there then some incumbent duty on the faithful to make sure the truth is still getting out there about what the Church believes? Or does that responsibility still lie solely with the bishops like in the case of the Arian heresy, for example.

In the information age does an entity like EWTN act as a vanguard against heresy because it has the capacity to correctly catechize Catholics in opposite to any scandalous comments or teachings from the Holy See?

Upvote 0