Apr 16, 2009
✟28,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
Has anyone noticed that pop music (such as Lady Gaga and Britney Spears and so forth) is a bit too sexual? I mean, it's bad enough that an adult listen to it not just for the beat but for listening to they lyrics and living by them (which I have seen quite often) - but isn't it horrible when 10 year old girls are dressing like her and talking like her?

I find more and more that I am becoming uninterested and sometimes insulted by the lyrics of these songs.

Everything has to be about sex for some reason - which is relative - which is relativism. A problem (relativism) the Holy Father has addressed.

Thoughts?

Da_Funkey_Gibbon

I'm just like the others...
Jan 8, 2005
✟20,178.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Amen.

Watching Britney Spear's videography is like watching the decline and fall of western civilisation.

Sooner or later people are going to have to go back to a more conservative and dignified set of values.

Moral relativism is a philosphical pickle, not one that affects the day to day lives of people.

A society which had abandoned all values to the cult of the individual and capitalism, is however a problem that is increasingly becoming apparent.

There are no easy solutions - but to more people that at least recognise that it is a problem to be addressed, whatever their political background or moral code - the healthier society will be.

Upvote 0

Da_Funkey_Gibbon

Jan 8, 2005
✟20,178.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Now this, for my money, is real music ;)

Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Jerusalem, Album: Brain Salad Surgery.
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Jerusalem - Lyrics - YouTube

ironically, some broadcasters tried to bad this song. And yet no-one's tried to ban Lady Gaga?
#feckhumanity

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟121,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I teach students in grades 3 to 6- so they range from age of about 7 to 12. My older ones will sing the pop songs while I'm around and I'm like "DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU"RE SINGING!?!" *shocked face* They usually just are parroting the lyrics- and I work at a Catholic school. But yes I try to not encourage that while I'm around.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,585,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Has anyone noticed that pop music (such as Lady Gaga and Britney Spears and so forth) is a bit too sexual? I mean, it's bad enough that an adult listen to it not just for the beat but for listening to they lyrics and living by them (which I have seen quite often) - but isn't it horrible when 10 year old girls are dressing like her and talking like her?

I find more and more that I am becoming uninterested and sometimes insulted by the lyrics of these songs.

Everything has to be about sex for some reason - which is relative - which is relativism. A problem (relativism) the Holy Father has addressed.

Thoughts?
I like some of it but what gets me is the kiddie commercials that have a singer in the commercial singing about how they smell like bubble gum, etc. I realize it is the dolls they are hawking but the singing is so over the top sexually it almost sounds like someone is having an issue with passing a #2. Seriously.

That weird over the top straining & grunting while singing just makes me want to punch them in the face.

Upvote 0

Religious Crisis

God is a Consuming Fire!!!
Mar 15, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟10,066.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Sooner or later people are going to have to go back to a more conservative and dignified set of values.

You cannot be serious, when in history have time ever become more conservative when it comes to music or lyrics?

Upvote 0

JBMM

Islander
Apr 16, 2009
✟28,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
I like some of it but what gets me is the kiddie commercials that have a singer in the commercial singing about how they smell like bubble gum, etc. I realize it is the dolls they are hawking but the singing is so over the top sexually it almost sounds like someone is having an issue with passing a #2. Seriously.

That weird over the top straining & grunting while singing just makes me want to punch them in the face.

Agreed.

Have any of you noticed the novelty of curse words?

Hey - they think - let's really rebel and throw a few f-bombs in there for good measure! Immature. :(

Thanks for the responses so far everybody. :)

Upvote 0
Yea they do use other doll and thing as symbols but like I said before not all pop is bad there are christian one too and just ignore the bad onces instead of getting mad just think postive as to "Lord I know that if I pray for them they will change and there music won't be the same" this year will be a year of blessing so let's start with a postive attuide that it will =)

=Smiley(=

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JBMM

Islander
Apr 16, 2009
✟28,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
Yea they do use other doll and thing as symbols but like I said before not all pop is bad there are christian one too and just ignore the bad onces instead of getting mad just think postive as to "Lord I know that if I pray for them they will change and there music won't be the same" this year will be a year of blessing so let's start with a postive attuide that it will =)

=Smiley(=
Yes, it is important to be positive. I also have heard of Christian pop music. :)

Upvote 0

JBMM

Islander
Apr 16, 2009
✟28,978.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
Yes. We live in a generation today that is easily influenced by outside sources. However I do listen to this type of music. I do find some it wrong which is why I try to not listen to it.

I tend to have the same problem from time to time. I find that a short prayer helps overcome temptation (of any kind, really). :)

Upvote 0

Chany

Uncertain Absurdist
Nov 29, 2011
In bed
✟15,379.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Eh, pop music hasn't been good for a while now. I usually listen to classic pop/rock or classic rock, though I also like punk, alternative, and a little metal for the guitar complexity. That's right, most of the good guitarist of today like heavy metal.

Eventually, the whole "sex and drugs" part of "sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll" music gets kind of old after a while, even from a secular perspective. It's a personal pet peeve of mine when it comes to music: it's just stupid at this point. It's trying to be edgy, but it just doesn't work like that, especially after half an album is just stupid songs like that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Da_Funkey_Gibbon

Jan 8, 2005
✟20,178.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In my humble opinion, Christians need to be less frightened of being tarred with the same brush as religious bigots for speaking out against the rampant inappropriate contentogrification of our culture in the media and especially on the internet.

It doesn't affect everyone the same way, but society as a whole needs to bear the responsibility for raising its children effectively - especially those who are from broken and destroyed homes.

2354 inappropriate contentography consists in removing real or simulated sexual acts from the intimacy of the partners, in order to display them deliberately to third parties. It offends against chastity because it perverts the conjugal act, the intimate giving of spouses to each other. It does grave injury to the dignity of its participants (actors, vendors, the public), since each one becomes an object of base pleasure and illicit profit for others. It immerses all who are involved in the illusion of a fantasy world. It is a grave offense. Civil authorities should prevent the production and distribution of inappropriate contentographic materials.

I guess I should bear witness properly and admit that I was addicted to inappropriate content from the age of 13 to about six months ago. I stuggled with it, but honestly looking back, I think the damage it did to my psyche was incredibly severe and the places this addiction took me could have landed me in some very dark places was not God watching over me.

True, the easy thing to do would be to blame my bad family background. But honestly, a society that does not recognise how severe and issue this is for its young men, and how it is insidiously destorying the very concept of selfhood is to blame too. Because for years, everything, apart from the Church which I dutifuly confessed to (very good to do that) and when I came back after my five year lapse (we do NOT talk about my five year lapse) I had to grace to kick it. But honestly, it was so weird coming out of that place, you know. It was like coming out of a fantasy world - I didn't realise how badly it had been affecting my conception of reality untill I stopped - and honestly I think it's probably scarred me for life. But I am not the only one who has had a similar story.

I don't want to get all puritanical and stuff, I can watch Lady Gaga occasionally without scrupulosity. But racey music videos are the tip of an iceberg that society is running into at a frightening rate, because no-body wants to admit it's there.

Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟64,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟64,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Now this, for my money, is real music ;)

Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Jerusalem, Album: Brain Salad Surgery.
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Jerusalem - Lyrics - YouTube

ironically, some broadcasters tried to bad this song. And yet no-one's tried to ban Lady Gaga?
#feckhumanity

Well if you're going to post something for Brain Salad Surgery, lets just go for it:

Karn Evil 9 (1st Impression)

Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression (with lyrics) - HD - YouTube

Upvote 0

Da_Funkey_Gibbon

Jan 8, 2005
✟20,178.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Death is the only absolute in life.

Our society (I'm speaking from the other side of the pond here), in thinking it can function without its Christian roots, has, in an age of capitalism and freedom of expression put bare sexuality at the centre of its common culture. Advertising, the media.

This is not just a cause of a wider spiritual malaise, or something not to worry about, because sexuality is something intrinsicly functional to human beings, we evolved for it to be all important. Having our young bombared with highly sexually charged imagery from a young age is going to seriously screw them up, because our brain our wired to react with "must have now yes... inseminate... inseminate" when confronted with such imagery. Yes adults are adults and can control themselves, a socity which allowes its children and adolecents to be confronted with such imagery has a lot to answer for.

It is to do with moral relativism, because our society is in a trasitional state whereby it thinks that you can get rid of religion with no consequences. Sooner or later our society will mature and you will have a (smaller) Christian Church - and a wider society that is a least a bit more sensible in the way it conducts itself in a cultural sense. (Put death back as the absolute in culture, not sex)

The transition, however, is going to be a painful one.

Upvote 0