Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is a system of interpretation that deals with the context (linguistic, cultural, historical, literary etc.) of the Bible as written. It is only with the Bible that people (and other things when people want to do this, but mostly the Bible) that people like to play fast and loose with interpretations.

Yes, especially when playing on the difference between singular mention versus plural mention, and thus injecting into the text a meaning that the text does not at all address specifically, allegorically, or even ethereally.

Plus, what I provided was not an interpretation. It was using the Bible, what was in the text, to deduce what God's answer would be regarding polygamy.

The deduction made was your own, derived from text that does not even hint at the meaning you injected into it. That is called Eisegetecism.

Your rebuttal takes Proverbs 22:6 out of context in an attempt to try to rebut Genesis 1:27 that I took in context.

In context or out of context, the subjective method of injecting meaning into singular versus plural in the direction of a topic not at all a part of the context makes your methods just as flawed, if not moreso.

Also, where in scripture does God ordain, bless, whatever that specifically says that one man/many women marriages/unions, or any other different marriage/union are okay as compared to the obvious passages that shows God prefers one man/one woman marriages? Please show me.

Dude, I never put forth the idea that God had a "preference" or lack thereof. My contention has only been in relation to the claim that God is against polygyny, and that it is therefore couched within the realm of adultery. I'm not saying that you personally put forth that idea, but some have. That's why my responses have been somewhat more broad in scope of audience than sticking to your appeals.

I also never said God declared polygyny "ok." I also stated at various points throughout this thread that, for most men, monogamy is indeed the ideal, best and only path for them. Most men can barely handle the one wife they have, and having another would be utter disaster.

First, Jesus quoting Genesis says a lot. God establishes His original plan for humanity in Genesis, it is foundational to theology found throughout the rest of the Bible. In Genesis, God didn't create two women, one man, He created one man and one woman and went on to bless their union.

Now you're shadow boxing. I already explained the necessity behind Adam having had one wife as opposed to more than one.

Second, David's wives. Only eight are mentioned by name in scripture and only three are given great details about their involvements with David.

Ok, bypassing all that, let's get to the point I was making. In 1 Sam. 12 we read:

7 And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul;

8 And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things.

Many have claimed that Saul's wives were handed over to David merely to care for them rather than their having become his wives. The phrase "into they bosom" does not describe a care home for women, but to avoid the obvious, many people transliterate that declaration into something other than the intimacy of marriage.

The context of divorce is marriage. You can't have a divorce without being in a marriage first. Yes, it's the end of a marriage, but marriage is the beginning of a divorce. Get it?

That is still an exercise in shifting context to try and force into discussions about limitation to divorce into the context of polygyny. All the intellectual gyrations in the world cannot force into that text what isn't there.

So the Pharisees asked about divorce. Jesus replied that marriage was never intended to be something that would be broken by quoting Genesis and stating that God made one man and one woman and for that reason a man will leave his parents and marry his wife (singular in the Greek). He didn't say a man would leave his parents and marry his wives.

Yeah, yeah, that's the same old tact of adding what isn't there. Jesus was not addressing how many wives to which a man is limited, but if you want to believe in that injection, then go for it. Repeating it over and over doesn't make it any more true at all.

Moot, we're talking about Biblical support of polygamy.

No. It's a support of one facet of polygamy, which I have repeatedly addressed and is called polygyny. To support polygamy in general is to also support polyandry. I absolutely do not support that.

One could argue God giving mankind dominion over creation allows for mankind to venture into the cosmos, but that is another topic.

?????

Pleas show me where God commanded the taking of additional wives by the Patriarchs and that it is not the Patriarchs doing this on their own or anyone else other than God encouraging the Patriarchs to practice this. Nor can it be that later God is just using their flawed nature and flawed decisions to work good. Please show me supporting texts.

That's a demand from silence, because I never said the Lord commanded the Patriarchs to take additional wives for themselves.

God spoke specifically against this for kings when He established a people for Himself because He knew it would cause problems. (See Solomon)

Deuteronomy 17:17 And he shall not acquire many wives for himself, lest his heart turn away, nor shall he acquire for himself excessive silver and gold. (ESV, Emphasis mine)

Yeah, and in verse 16 it also commands against acquiring many horses. Hmm. I have several, so I must be violating that same section of scripture.

So, do you suppose two, three or four wives qualifies as having "many"?

Just because the Bible records later or before that men and women didn't hold to God's original plan or his commands, doesn't mean He was alright with it. Just because at that moment He didn't always or doesn't always strike someone dead when they do something, doesn't mean He is alright with it.

This hyperbole is also another tact that is less than impressive. It's a poor construct to establish your case, just like transliterating "wife" as additionally meaning that the singular is absolutely God's "original plan" for all men. Building up and entire theology about marriage from the singular "wife" is bankrupt of any credible point when we consider that the Lord was/is fully capable of speaking exactly His meaning without you or me or anyone else coming along and acting as authorities over additional meanings we so choose to force into it.

Jr

Upvote 0

BroRoyVa79

Aug 16, 2018
Virginia
✟27,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, especially when playing on the difference between singular mention versus plural mention, and thus injecting into the text a meaning that the text does not at all address specifically, allegorically, or even ethereally.

Show text proofs please from now on.
In language singular and plural have direct meaning in the context of the literature it is written in.

If I write:

A man will marry a woman and that is the law.

It does not mean multiple people when the singular form of the words are used. Period. That's basic grammar in any language. You have to do what you do and dance around it or try to find proofs elsewhere to try to deal with the obvious.

The deduction made was your own, derived from text that does not even hint at the meaning you injected into it. That is called Eisegetecism.

We can deduce things from the text in relation to questions that are not directly covered by the text. That's not eisegisis. What you do fits it far more than what I do.

In context or out of context, the subjective method of injecting meaning into singular versus plural in the direction of a topic not at all a part of the context makes your methods just as flawed, if not moreso.

See above about basic grammar.

Dude, I never put forth the idea that God had a "preference" or lack thereof. My contention has only been in relation to the claim that God is against polygyny, and that it is therefore couched within the realm of adultery. I'm not saying that you personally put forth that idea, but some have. That's why my responses have been somewhat more broad in scope of audience than sticking to your appeals.

I also never said God declared polygyny "ok." I also stated at various points throughout this thread that, for most men, monogamy is indeed the ideal, best and only path for them. Most men can barely handle the one wife they have, and having another would be utter disaster.

You say you're not advocating the idea that God didn't have a preference or lack of one, yet you turn around and say your contention is with the claim that God is against polygyny? You're not making sense.

Now you're shadow boxing. I already explained the necessity behind Adam having had one wife as opposed to more than one.

Not shadow boxing anything, whatever that is, I restated my point that you side stepped by going into how Adam and Eve are the parents of humanity. That wasn't the point. The point was that God established the definition of marriage through creating one man and one woman and blessing their union.

Ok, bypassing all that, let's get to the point I was making.

Yes, the only way you can make your point seems to be to bypass scriptures that challenge it.

In 1 Sam. 12 we read:

7 And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man. Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, I anointed thee king over Israel, and I delivered thee out of the hand of Saul;

8 And I gave thee thy master's house, and thy master's wives into thy bosom, and gave thee the house of Israel and of Judah; and if that had been too little, I would moreover have given unto thee such and such things.

Many have claimed that Saul's wives were handed over to David merely to care for them rather than their having become his wives. The phrase "into they bosom" does not describe a care home for women, but to avoid the obvious, many people transliterate that declaration into something other than the intimacy of marriage.

I covered this. In ancient times kings warred, winning kings claimed the possessions of the loser, that included wives. God supported David who overcame Saul, Saul's possessions became David's. That's the historical context of the passage.

That is still an exercise in shifting context to try and force into discussions about limitation to divorce into the context of polygyny. All the intellectual gyrations in the world cannot force into that text what isn't there.

It's basic reading comprehension. Not shifting context.

If someone asks, "Why does water turn to ice and cause ice burn?"
And I answer, "Water turns to ice when the temperature drops and causes ice burn when ice touches your skin if it is really cold." (Oversimplifying but not the point)

Water is still in the context although we are mainly talking about ice.

Yeah, yeah, that's the same old tact of adding what isn't there. Jesus was not addressing how many wives to which a man is limited, but if you want to believe in that injection, then go for it. Repeating it over and over doesn't make it any more true at all.

Again, basic reading comprehension, see above.
The Bible is a written work, that means we use basic to advanced reading skills to understand it, no?

No. It's a support of one facet of polygamy, which I have repeatedly addressed and is called polygyny. To support polygamy in general is to also support polyandry. I absolutely do not support that.

?????

You brought up:

He also never said that being pushed out to the moon on a huge thurst of flame was ok either, but we have done that several times now (except in the minds of conspiracy theorists).

I responded.

That's a demand from silence, because I never said the Lord commanded the Patriarchs to take additional wives for themselves.

Your exact words, highlighted to see where I understood you saying this, perhaps I misread it:
Look, trying to argue a negative is almost always problematic. The Lord commanded the taking of an additional wife in some cases, the Patriarchs possessed plural wives. Don't you suppose that had God not been happy with such, that surely the Lord would have said SOMETHING to to at least ONE of them? I mean, come on. Let's get real.

Either way, please provide proof texts of where the Lord commanded the taking of an additional wife in some cases. Whether I misread the Patriarch part or not.
Yeah, and in verse 16 it also commands against acquiring many horses. Hmm. I have several, so I must be violating that same section of scripture.

So, do you suppose two, three or four wives qualifies as having "many"?

Deuteronomy 17:14-20 starts off:

14 When you come to the land that the Lord your God is giving you, and you possess it and dwell in it and then say, ‘I will set a king over me, like all the nations that are around me,’ 15 you may indeed set a king over you whom the Lord your God will choose. One from among your brothers you shall set as king over you. You may not put a foreigner over you, who is not your brother. 16 Only he must not acquire many horses for himself or cause the people to return to Egypt in order to acquire many horses, since the Lord has said to you, ‘You shall never return that way again.’ 17 And he shall not acquire many wives for himself, lest his heart turn away, nor shall he acquire for himself excessive silver and gold.​

Paying attention to context is important. As I said, when God set leaders he told the leaders not to have multiple wives. Yes, he told them not to have multiple horses, as in build an army. We know the kings of Israel broke these commands. So because humans are flawed and broke commands of God we ignore the fact He made them in the first place?

Also, we are under the New Covenant and you are not a king of Israel so it doesn't matter that you have horses and before you think you got an "ah-hah" moment about polygamy, go back to what I said about this going against God's obvious preference for one man/one woman based on Creation and the fact He made it a commandment not to do this for leaders who would, no doubt, set a standard for the people said leader is ruling.

This hyperbole is also another tact that is less than impressive. It's a poor construct to establish your case, just like transliterating "wife" as additionally meaning that the singular is absolutely God's "original plan" for all men. Building up and entire theology about marriage from the singular "wife" is bankrupt of any credible point when we consider that the Lord was/is fully capable of speaking exactly His meaning without you or me or anyone else coming along and acting as authorities over additional meanings we so choose to force into it.

Jr

You fail to practice proper grammatical understanding and comprehension of the text in order to support your case. In any language course, that's a weak and erroneous way of approaching any literature let alone an ancient text.

You can't just come to the text willy-nilly and have it say what you want to say. If the word is in the singular, it's in the singular, if it's in the plural it's in the plural and then there is the literary context to take into account.

The problem is the Bible advocates monogamy and allows, let me repeat, allows polygamy. It never advocates it, anywhere. For you to make a case beyond the Bible simply allowed polygamy because of the obvious reason that it was in practice means you have to play fast and loose with your interpretations. You also have to ignore basic themes evident in the text, such as God's original plan for man and woman, husband and wife from Creation and assert that's not what it implies.

You lack credibility here yet you claim a lack of credibility on others who call your theology out for being bankrupt, as you say.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most men can't even handle having one.
Jesus came to be a servant. He gave Himself for His Bride and we are to follow His example. A
man is to pray for his wife and provide a protective cover for her. There are lots of women out there looking for a man to do this for them. To minister healing when she is sick. Peace when there are storms in life and to help her to fight her battles so she does not have to stand up to satan all alone when he tries to attack her. Even if the battles we fight are only mind battles.

• Agree
Reactions: SwordmanJr
Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Show text proofs please from now on.

Sorry, but I'm not retired, and thus have copious time on my hands. My typing time is limited to show both sides of the conversation when this forum software does not do that automatically.

In language singular and plural have direct meaning in the context of the literature it is written in.

Except for when you choose a topical item to shove into the meaning of that singular versus plural. Dude, I don't allow jehovah's witnesses and mormons to get away with that kind of subjective, eisegetical interpretation method, so why would I let you?

If I write:

A man will marry a woman and that is the law.

It does not mean multiple people when the singular form of the words are used. Period. That's basic grammar in any language. You have to do what you do and dance around it or try to find proofs elsewhere to try to deal with the obvious.

(sigh) That line of reasoning has a name, and it's called a fallacy because it poisons the well by injecting rationale that does not have a line of entry into the proof set. You're trying to draw absolute lines of parallel that are not rules that govern meaning in the Greek or the Hebrew. If and when numerical constraints are intended within the other languages, they had ways of expressing that strict limitation without people having to come along and force English nuances upon another language. All my scholar friends who are experts in the field of languages have made that abundantly clear to me.

So, what it comes down to is....do I believe you, or do I believe them...? I respectfully admit that I do not know your field(s) of expertise, so in lieu of that, I hope you will accept that I cannot and will not follow your line of reasoning on this when it comes to apples to oranges comparisons. The satisfaction I have in my mind (at this time) about this is well established (at this time) that you are not on the same level, nor above, the lingual experts with whom I have conversed about this very topic in biblical studies.

I'm not talking about some layman who took two years of Greek in some Podunk school somewhere, but rather men and women who have Ph.D.'s in the fields of language, culture, history, archaeology, et al., in some of the more conservative (and some even liberal) colleges and universities. I'm not trying to impress you since I am not concerned with trying to impress anyone. I'm nothing in the whole scheme of things in this arena since my expertise is in the fields of science and mathematics.

The only reason I dabble in this is because of my faith in the reliability of the Bible, and the circle of friends I have enjoyed while touring with my dad (who has two Ph.D's attached to his name in the fields of theology and biblical history). (Actually, he is my godfather, but loved like a father. RIP)

We can deduce things from the text in relation to questions that are not directly covered by the text. That's not eisegisis. What you do fits it far more than what I do.

This is why I suspect I'm dealing with an amateur in the fields we're discussing. I injected nothing. Were we to be honest, I have taken away from your reasoning what YOU injected, which you have admittedly done on the basis of English nuances.

You say you're not advocating the idea that God didn't have a preference or lack of one, yet you turn around and say your contention is with the claim that God is against polygyny? You're not making sense.

Actually, I have not fudged on anything. I have stated consistently that God is not "against" polygyny for ALL men. I stated that I agree that most men should avoid it at all costs. Given modern dysfunctionalities because of our warped culture here in the West, many men are less than real men, and therefore lacking in any ability to love even one woman effectively. Others simply don't want plural wives, and I salute them. Others would like to have more than one for the sexual variety. They are those who I believe should not have even one, but that's another discussion entirely.

So, please read my lips, I AM ONLY OPPOSED TO THE CLAIM THAT POLYGYNY IS MORALLY WRONG. (CAPS for emphasis only.) Did that clarify my position?

Not shadow boxing anything, whatever that is, I restated my point that you side stepped by going into how Adam and Eve are the parents of humanity. That wasn't the point. The point was that God established the definition of marriage through creating one man and one woman and blessing their union.

It was my point, which I'm allowed to make as a counter. Remember.....this is a two-way discussion rather than one-sided. My counter point was and is valid.

I covered this. In ancient times kings warred, winning kings claimed the possessions of the loser, that included wives. God supported David who overcame Saul, Saul's possessions became David's. That's the historical context of the passage.

Yes, and what YOU side-stepped is that GOD is the One who GAVE those things and WIVES to David. Please don't try to lay down the claim that God was bound by cultural dictates. As is true with all of us, he had what GOD gave to him.

Either way, please provide proof texts of where the Lord commanded the taking of an additional wife in some cases. Whether I misread the Patriarch part or not.

I already quoted the scripture, but will do so again:

Deut. 25:5: If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her.

Notice that no stipulation was laid down that the living brother had to be single in order to take the dead brother's wife as his own. and yet there are those who say that God was/is totally opposed to men having plural wives. This verse clearly refutes that notion. We can all talk about situational limitations all day long, but in the end, the opposition is left with trying to explain how God is ever forced into acceptance of something based merely upon situational ethics/morals, and how God would ever command what allegedly grates against His ideals for marriage.

I have already agreed with you all that polygyny is not for most men, and most did not, and do not, practice it. I have also expressed my dislike of the sexual variety gang. I have no respect for them. If a man is going to take in additional wives, he better have his heart and mind in the right place.

As I said, when God set leaders he told the leaders not to have multiple wives.

You clearly need to have a conversation with a Jewish rabbi about the Hebrew texts of that passage, coupled with the history of that era. Those with whom I have spoken to concerning that context have stated that "multiplying" wives had only to do with the common practice of adding wives for the purposes of political expediency, and trying to show others what a "stud muffin" some kings saw themselves as (the latter they spoke with tongue in cheek). Three or four wives did not suffice in what they told me about most kings of that age. Solomon was on a pursuit of total hedonism, which he later admitted was nothing more than a pursuit of total vanity (as a form of depravity). He could not effectively LOVE that many wives. No man could. THAT is the expression of excess, which is exactly the meaning of "multiply" wives. Transliterating that over to just more than one, that is yet again a demonstration for your bent upon trying to manipulate scripture to say what YOU want it to say.

Was it wrong for a king to have three of four prize horses they could call their own? No! However, MULTIPLYING horses as a demonstration for might and strength against enemies rather than relying on God as their Deliverer, that clearly grated against God's desire for the kings whom He set up in the kingdom.

Yes, he told them not to have multiple horses, as in build an army.

Yes. Thank you for making that point, which jives with what I said above. The same applies to wives. Building up an "army" of wives is not at all beneficial for those women nor for the king, or any other man. Marriage is an intimate and deeply profound relationship. Granted, you personally may not and would not enter into polygyny. That's cool with me. We're both cool along that line. My arguments are against the claims made on the basis of morality. THAT'S where I depart from the group-think.

Out of time for more....

Jr

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Even though poligomy is riddled everywhere throughout the old testament. It is now a sin in Christianity. Don't fool yourself.

This is the kind of nonsense that gets everyone nowhere. It's a pot-shot, drive-by shooting outward of a conclusion with no supporting premises, so File 13 is where it goes.....in my books. This is so reminiscent of the group-think nonsense that literally fills the libraries of socially engineered theologies oozing out of modern, liberal cemetary schools.

Jr

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

BroRoyVa79

Aug 16, 2018
Virginia
✟27,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Sorry, but I'm not retired, and thus have copious time on my hands. My typing time is limited to show both sides of the conversation when this forum software does not do that automatically.

You shouldn't make those claims then if you don't intend to back them up.

Except for when you choose a topical item to shove into the meaning of that singular versus plural. Dude, I don't allow jehovah's witnesses and mormons to get away with that kind of subjective, eisegetical interpretation method, so why would I let you?

Sigh, I've explained how singular and plural forms and context works. If you choose to keep making this argument, 1) without showing proof texts, and 2) without proper grammatical adherence then I'm just going to move on from this point on. You keep making claims without backing them up and now below your going to appeal to authority. Really?

(sigh) That line of reasoning has a name, and it's called a fallacy because it poisons the well by injecting rationale that does not have a line of entry into the proof set. You're trying to draw absolute lines of parallel that are not rules that govern meaning in the Greek or the Hebrew. If and when numerical constraints are intended within the other languages, they had ways of expressing that strict limitation without people having to come along and force English nuances upon another language. All my scholar friends who are experts in the field of languages have made that abundantly clear to me.

I was trying to refrain from throwing out credentials. I took Kione Greek and Old Testament Hebrew in my postgraduate program. I am fully aware of singular and plural forms as I have shown. When a word in these languages are used in the plural they have a particular form just like English words have plural forms. Which is why I asked you to show your proof texts to back up your claim that there are plural forms translated as singular in the English in relation to this topic and I gave caveats.

So, what it comes down to is....do I believe you, or do I believe them...? I respectfully admit that I do not know your field(s) of expertise, so in lieu of that, I hope you will accept that I cannot and will not follow your line of reasoning on this when it comes to apples to oranges comparisons. The satisfaction I have in my mind (at this time) about this is well established (at this time) that you are not on the same level, nor above, the lingual experts with whom I have conversed about this very topic in biblical studies.

You can believe who you want, that's fine, but don't take that belief and claim it's fact without showing clear evidence. Ancient documents are, as you well know sir, written in ancient languages and there is an art form and technique to translating them. I've often found that people who run around claiming mistranslations as their proof for their pet doctrines don't usually treat the text properly whether in English, Hebrew, Greek, or Aramaic.

My english example would work the same in Greek and Hebrew or any language for that matter so long as you know plural versus singular forms. I'm refraining from going in great detail about this. Suffice to say, it's not a magical thing. If anyone had training in any other language spoken today including modern Greek and Hebrew they'd understand this without the need to have a Ph.D in Kione Greek or Old Testament Hebrew.

But I want to point out that this is an appeal to an authority fallacy as well, but again, you're free to believe who you want to believe.

I'm not talking about some layman who took two years of Greek in some Podunk school somewhere, but rather men and women who have Ph.D.'s in the fields of language, culture, history, archaeology, et al., in some of the more conservative (and some even liberal) colleges and universities. I'm not trying to impress you since I am not concerned with trying to impress anyone. I'm nothing in the whole scheme of things in this arena since my expertise is in the fields of science and mathematics.

The only reason I dabble in this is because of my faith in the reliability of the Bible, and the circle of friends I have enjoyed while touring with my dad (who has two Ph.D's attached to his name in the fields of theology and biblical history). (Actually, he is my godfather, but loved like a father. RIP)

I've dealt with Ph.D holding individuals, simply because someone has a Doctoral degree does not always make them right. Plenty of Ph.D holding Professors in schools teaching nonsense.

Again, appeal to authority, but sorry about your loss.

This is why I suspect I'm dealing with an amateur in the fields we're discussing. I injected nothing. Were we to be honest, I have taken away from your reasoning what YOU injected, which you have admittedly done on the basis of English nuances.

I suspect this might be of good use to you since you consider practicing Hermeneutics to be amateurish. Oh, by the way, it's taught by someone with a Ph.D and this is what any theologian or scholar worth their salt will tell you. Even the Hebrew and Greek scholars: Hermeneutics 101.

Actually, I have not fudged on anything. I have stated consistently that God is not "against" polygyny for ALL men. I stated that I agree that most men should avoid it at all costs. Given modern dysfunctionalities because of our warped culture here in the West, many men are less than real men, and therefore lacking in any ability to love even one woman effectively. Others simply don't want plural wives, and I salute them. Others would like to have more than one for the sexual variety. They are those who I believe should not have even one, but that's another discussion entirely.

So, please read my lips, I AM ONLY OPPOSED TO THE CLAIM THAT POLYGYNY IS MORALLY WRONG. (CAPS for emphasis only.) Did that clarify my position?

You said you're not saying God has a preference then you say God is not against it? That means He'd have a preference of NOT being against it, meaning He'd be for it, right?

I don't think you fully realize what you're saying.

It was my point, which I'm allowed to make as a counter. Remember.....this is a two-way discussion rather than one-sided. My counter point was and is valid.

It's not that you made a counterpoint, you completely misunderstood or misrepresented my point.

Yes, and what YOU side-stepped is that GOD is the One who GAVE those things and WIVES to David. Please don't try to lay down the claim that God was bound by cultural dictates. As is true with all of us, he had what GOD gave to him.

Again, God was supporting David because God ordained David to be King. This meant that David would claim everything that was under the rule of Saul, including his wives. That is how God gave David Saul's wives.

Another point on this, David didn't even take Saul's wives aside from two as recorded in the Bible. Thus, the general point of that passage is that David had access to all the women he wanted through being crowned King and claiming Saul's possessions, yet David went and had an affair with a married woman and killed her husband.

You want to say God didn't use cultural practices, yet here we are in a conversation about polygamy which was a cultural practice God allowed but never ordained like He did monogamy. But that's to be expected, I guess.

But go ahead, cherry pick verses, take them out of context and build doctrine on one verse. But you're telling me I'm injecting stuff?

I already quoted the scripture, but will do so again:

Deut. 25:5: If brethren dwell together, and one of them die, and have no child, the wife of the dead shall not marry without unto a stranger: her husband's brother shall go in unto her, and take her to him to wife, and perform the duty of an husband's brother unto her.

This is your proof text? Really?

Notice that no stipulation was laid down that the living brother had to be single in order to take the dead brother's wife as his own. and yet there are those who say that God was/is totally opposed to men having plural wives. This verse clearly refutes that notion. We can all talk about situational limitations all day long, but in the end, the opposition is left with trying to explain how God is ever forced into acceptance of something based merely upon situational ethics/morals, and how God would ever command what allegedly grates against His ideals for marriage.

First, you're clearly reading something into this. No it doesn't say the living brother has to be single, but this is not marriage. This is simply making a child. It doesn't say the living brother is taking the dead brother's wife as his wife, does it? You go on and on and on about people injecting stuff in scripture and here you are doing it.

You even highlight it, he's still referred to as the HUSBAND'S BROTHER, not the NEW HUSBAND.

Plus the next verse that you leave out explains this practice as it was...cultural. Hmmm, there's God allowing for cultural practices of the times.

Deuteronomy 25: 6 The first son she bears shall carry on the name of the dead brother so that his name will not be blotted out from Israel. (ESV)​

So she is technically still the widow of the dead brother, she can remarry if she wants according to other laws, but the purpose of this commandment was to keep the brother's name in Israel and the widow's son in the family. Not polygamy.

I have already agreed with you all that polygyny is not for most men, and most did not, and do not, practice it. I have also expressed my dislike of the sexual variety gang. I have no respect for them. If a man is going to take in additional wives, he better have his heart and mind in the right place.

It's not just that polygamy is not for most men, it's that God never ordained it, never said it was okay. He only allowed it because it was being practiced. There is a clear difference.

You clearly need to have a conversation with a Jewish rabbi about the Hebrew texts of that passage, coupled with the history of that era. Those with whom I have spoken to concerning that context have stated that "multiplying" wives had only to do with the common practice of adding wives for the purposes of political expediency, and trying to show others what a "stud muffin" some kings saw themselves as (the latter they spoke with tongue in cheek). Three or four wives did not suffice in what they told me about most kings of that age. Solomon was on a pursuit of total hedonism, which he later admitted was nothing more than a pursuit of total vanity (as a form of depravity). He could not effectively LOVE that many wives. No man could. THAT is the expression of excess, which is exactly the meaning of "multiply" wives. Transliterating that over to just more than one, that is yet again a demonstration for your bent upon trying to manipulate scripture to say what YOU want it to say.

There is nothing in the Hebrew that changes what I said.
Also, I've been saying over and over again it was a practice of the time.
By the way, I studied heavily in Ancient Near Eastern cultures and history too so telling me to talk to a Jewish Rabbi about that passage and history is fine. I'd enjoy the conversation, might learn something, but doesn't mean the Jewish Rabbi is correct simply because they're a Jewish Rabbi.
Also, stop appealing to authorities.

Was it wrong for a king to have three of four prize horses they could call their own? No! However, MULTIPLYING horses as a demonstration for might and strength against enemies rather than relying on God as their Deliverer, that clearly grated against God's desire for the kings whom He set up in the kingdom.

Stop equivocating this command with the other.
Also, I said just because they broke the horse command and the multiple wife command doesn't mean polygamy's okay. You're reasoning doesn't follow here. You're jumping to conclusions and ignoring obvious factors like the kings, even David and Solomon, for example, being flawed humans who broke God's commandment.

Breaking a commandment did/does not equal "it's okay now."

Yes. Thank you for making that point, which jives with what I said above. The same applies to wives. Building up an "army" of wives is not at all beneficial for those women nor for the king, or any other man. Marriage is an intimate and deeply profound relationship. Granted, you personally may not and would not enter into polygyny. That's cool with me. We're both cool along that line. My arguments are against the claims made on the basis of morality. THAT'S where I depart from the group-think.

Out of time for more....

Jr

Again, stop equivocating these two commands. They both had different purposes and they both were broken by the kings of Israel and Judah. Using a commandment about not multiplying horses that was broken by the kings does not support your case that it's not immoral. What is it called when one breaks one of God's commandments? Sin, but also immorality? Right?

Beyond this, unless you give better evidence for your position, I'm moving on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You shouldn't make those claims then if you don't intend to back them up.

(scratching head) Darned if I understand your bent upon everyone re-quoting both sides of a conversation. Why not recommend to the site owner that they incorporate that feature into the software?

Sigh, I've explained how singular and plural forms and context works. If you choose to keep making this argument, 1) without showing proof texts, and 2) without proper grammatical adherence then I'm just going to move on from this point on. You keep making claims without backing them up and now below your going to appeal to authority. Really?

Yes. I know you explained your belief about it, but that doesn't mean you're correct, nor that you presented a realistic case in relation to singular versus plural. Dude, get a clue. Infallibility isn't established by irrational assumptions about language differences. None of this will move the earth out from under our feet. You can continue feeling secure in your system of subjective interpretations. No problem. Don't feel dejected when someone doesn't follow along and bow down in submissive acceptance on the basis of a long-winded, although unacceptable, apologetic behind justifying the singular in key passages as speaking out loud to a topic not at all the subject of the text. Believe it all you want.

I also explained that degreed experts disagree with you, and because I don't have meeting notes with references for you from those conversations I was blessed to participate, hey, I don't have any of that. I freely admit that. All I can do is to endorse your freedom to continue believing whatever you want. I don't give a tinker's darn if you change your mind about this or not. It's a peripheral issue.

I was trying to refrain from throwing out credentials. I took Kione Greek and Old Testament Hebrew in my postgraduate program. I am fully aware of singular and plural forms as I have shown. When a word in these languages are used in the plural they have a particular form just like English words have plural forms. Which is why I asked you to show your proof texts to back up your claim that there are plural forms translated as singular in the English in relation to this topic and I gave caveats.

Dude, I never said there are no similarities. I already admitted that Greek and Hebrew do indeed establish plural versus singular. What I question is you personally forcing into a text dealing specifically with divorce as also applying to polygyny. That's completely pulled out of thin air. That is almost verbatim what a number of other Ph.D's and Th.D's have confirmed in meeting we've had with them. Some of them have dedicated their entire careers with Greek and Hebrew, and they were very candid in their answers. They were well aware of the interpretational methods you are employing here, and they expressed their disdain for such loose and wild antics from anyone claiming to know God had in mind the topic of polygyny in those texts where it is nowhere even intimated.

Proof texts? Me? From a verbal conversation/meeting? Nope. Don't have it. That's as convincing as anything you have presented thus far. If you are a professor, then I hope you use this as an object lesson with your students, because as sure as Jesus is coming back, most, if not all, are going to remain blind to any critical thoughts about your words given that most students have stars in their eyes when in the presence of those who have the almighty Ph.D's and Th.D's in their names. I even had a pleasant conversation with D. James Kennedy years ago in his office down in Florida, and he had some very heart warming stories about that phenomenon.....some really funny too.

You can believe who you want, that's fine, but don't take that belief and claim it's fact without showing clear evidence. Ancient documents are, as you well know sir, written in ancient languages and there is an art form and technique to translating them. I've often found that people who run around claiming mistranslations as their proof for their pet doctrines don't usually treat the text properly whether in English, Hebrew, Greek, or Aramaic.

If you're accusing me of laying claim in this conversation to mistranslation, then you, sir, are out of line here because I never said anything about mistranslation. Yes, mistranslational anomalies do exist in many, if not all, translations. Even the KJV translators didn't consider their translation to be the best, but I have grown to respect that one above almost all others. I know that many people have adopted great trust in the Vaticanus, Siniaticus, Aleph, B, C, and some others, but I just don't place much liking in those, so I have pretty much stayed the course with the Textus Receptus. Some find fault with that, and that's fine. But it's 1 John 2:27 that I uphold as my motto above all else since we know God never misleads anyone. So, I hope your students have a good laugh along with you if you choose to use all this for brevity. That's cool. I wish I could be there to laugh right along with y'all, but the Lord has shown me things about all this that have richly blessed me. The families I know with plural wives, you will never know nor understand. They defy the usual stereotypes that most people possess about polygyny.

So, once again my typing time is curtailed by having to go out on call. I have to get jets flying again that have highly sophisticated problems the aircraft technicians can't figure out with the navigational systems and radars. I couldn't even begin to banter with you about Greek and Hebrew, but I do have access to at least two hand-fulls of scholars I've gotten to know over the years....some in Ivy League schools, some in middle of the road schools, and some in the lower regions of denominational schools as well as independents, and they have given me good reason to doubt you, a singular individual, given the rationalizations you've provided. I'm just a simple country boy with my Ph.D in Electronics and Electrical Engineering. I can't hold a candle to you in languages, but I know bull corn rationalizations when I see them. I also preach weekly sermons to those in our community church organization. I always encourage them to do as Paul of Tarsus commanded, which is to "Prove ALL things."

May the Lord bless you and yours.

Jr

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BroRoyVa79

Aug 16, 2018
Virginia
✟27,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I had to split this in two.

(scratching head) Darned if I understand your bent upon everyone re-quoting both sides of a conversation. Why not recommend to the site owner that they incorporate that feature into the software?

You're not making any sense. You decided to challenge my post to the OP then when I respond to your challenge and challenge your claims you pretty much say I shouldn't ask you to provide evidence, a strong case to support your claims?

And you're scratching your head?

(
Yes. I know you explained your belief about it, but that doesn't mean you're correct, nor that you presented a realistic case in relation to singular versus plural.

We're not talking about some abstract thing here. Language has a way of working called grammar, you're using it now to type to me. Yet, when I try to hold you to the rules you say that's wrong? Say it's my belief?

Really not making sense.

Dude, get a clue. Infallibility isn't established by irrational assumptions about language differences. None of this will move the earth out from under our feet.

Seriously, what are you talking about here? "Irrational assumptions about language differences?"
Here, I'm going to do what you do, the plural forms in that sentence I just quoted are wrong because I said so, I don't like the sentence in the plural, it should be "Irrational assumption about language difference." See that's better because I want it to be to support my case although it broke the context of your statement, grammatical rules of the sentence, and original intent of the sentence.

Sigh...but that's an irrational assumption about language differences, right? Whether it's Hebrew, Greek, Spanish, Aramaic, whatever, languages have grammar rules, syntax, etc.

I really hope you get what I just did here.

You can continue feeling secure in your system of subjective interpretations.

And yet you do what you claim others do? Go figure.

No problem. Don't feel dejected when someone doesn't follow along and bow down in submissive acceptance on the basis of a long-winded, although unacceptable, apologetic behind justifying the singular in key passages as speaking out loud to a topic not at all the subject of the text. Believe it all you want.

And yet you have not provided any "key passages" where I am justifying the singular. I provided passages that show God's original intent for marriage and Jesus' reiteration of that intent in the context of divorce, which has to do with marriage. All you've done is declare that's wrong without any evidence to the contrary.

I also explained that degreed experts disagree with you, and because I don't have meeting notes with references for you from those conversations I was blessed to participate, hey, I don't have any of that. I freely admit that. All I can do is to endorse your freedom to continue believing whatever you want. I don't give a tinker's darn if you change your mind about this or not. It's a peripheral issue.

I could go out talk to some friends who are degreed experts and come back with counter expertise to your expertise. All you're doing, and all that'd be doing is appealing to authority.

Some degreed experts love to speak nonsense about nonsense that's why the Bible tells us to be Bereans and search the scriptures to see if what they say is true.

Dude, I never said there are no similarities. I already admitted that Greek and Hebrew do indeed establish plural versus singular. What I question is you personally forcing into a text dealing specifically with divorce as also applying to polygyny.

I already understand you don't understand that point, you don't see the obvious point about marriage there and can't deduce from it that God meant one man/one woman monogamy from the beginning.

People get married, they stay married for a while then they end it in divorce. It's a cycle of a marriage. You don't get that or conveniently don't want to get that, moving on.

That's completely pulled out of thin air.

Ok, I mean you're literally ignoring the obvious, but okay.

That is almost verbatim what a number of other Ph.D's and Th.D's have confirmed in meeting we've had with them. Some of them have dedicated their entire careers with Greek and Hebrew, and they were very candid in their answers. They were well aware of the interpretational methods you are employing here, and they expressed their disdain for such loose and wild antics from anyone claiming to know God had in mind the topic of polygyny in those texts where it is nowhere even intimated.

Since you want to keep appealing to authority, let's go there. With the exception of one, I'm going to use two sources available online for easy access. And we'll just deal with the Greek of Matthew 19:4-6.

First, the Greek Testament Critical Exegetical Commentary written by Henry Alford, a textural critic, I hope you know what that means, it means he spent time studying the text in its original languages. In regard to Matthew 19:4-6 of which Jesus reiterates Genesis 1:27 and 2:24-25, Alford writes, emphasis mine:

On these verses we may remark (1) that our Lord refers to the Mosaic account of the Creation as the historical fact of the first creation of man; and grounds his argument on the literal expressions of that narrative. (2) That He cites both from the first and second chapters of Genesis, and in immediate connexion; thus shewing them to be consecutive parts of a continuous narrative, which, from their different diction, and apparent repetition, they have sometimes been supposed not to be. (3) That He quotes as spoken by the Creator the words in Genesis 2:24, which were actually said by Adam; they must therefore be understood as said in prophecy, divino afflatu, which indeed the terms made use of in them would require, since the relations alluded to by those terms did not yet exist. Augustin. de Nupt. ii. 4 (12), vol. x. pt. i., ‘Deus utique per hominem dixit quod homo prophetande prædixit.’ (4) That the force of the argument consists in the previous unity of male and female, not indeed organically, but by implication, in Adam. Thus it is said in Genesis 1:27, not ἄνδρα καὶ γυναῖκα ἐποίησεν αὐτούς, but ἄρσεν καὶ θῆλυ ἐπ. αὐ. He made them (man, as a race) male (not, a male) and female: but then the male and female were implicitly shut up in one; and therefore after the creation of woman from man, when one man and one woman were united in marriage they should be one flesh, ἕνεκεν τούτου, because woman was taken out of man. The answer then is, that abstractedly, from the nature of marriage, it is indissoluble.

The words οἱ δύο are in the LXX and the Samaritan Pentateuch, but not in the Hebrew.​

Oh my, but let's keep going.

Expositors Greek Commentary, which many Biblical Greek scholars recommend (over newer ones) as you can see here. Before you dismiss them, many who post on this forum go on to do prominent work in the textual criticism community, including teaching at higher-level institutions. In it, regarding Matthew 19:4-6, it states, emphasis mine:

And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

Matthew 19:4. οὐκ ἀνέγνωτε: the words quoted are to be found in Genesis 1:27; Genesis 2:24.—ὁ κτίσας: the participle with article used substantively = the Creator.—ἀπʼ ἀρχῆς goes along with what follows, Christ’s purpose being to emphasise the primitive state of things. From the beginning God made man, male and female; suited to each other, needing each other.—ἄρσεν καὶ θῆλυ: “one male and one female, so that the one should have the one; for if He had wished that the male should dismiss one and marry another He would have made more females at the first,” Euthy.

And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

Matthew 19:5. καὶ εἶπεν: God said, though the words as they stand in Gen. may be a continuation of Adam’s reflections, or a remark of the writer.—ἕνεκεν τούτου: connected in Gen. with the story of the woman made from the rib of the man, here with the origin of sex. The sex principle imperiously demands that all other relations and ties, however intimate and strong, shall yield to it. The cohesion this force creates is the greatest possible.—οἱ δύο: these words in the Sept[109] have nothing answering to them in the Hebrew, but they are true to the spirit of the original.—εἰς σάρκα μίαν: the reference is primarily to the physical fleshly unity. But flesh in Hebrew thought represents the entire man, and the ideal unity of marriage covers the whole nature. It is a unity of soul as well as of body: of sympathy, interest, purpose.
[109] Septuagint.

Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

Matthew 19:6. ὥστε with indicative, expressing actual result as Christ views the matter. They are no longer two, but one flesh, one spirit, one person.—ὃ οὖν: inference from God’s will to man’s duty. The creation of sex, and the high doctrine as to the cohesion it produces between man and woman, laid down in Gen., interdict separation. Let the Divine Syzygy be held sacredel How small the Pharisaic disputants must have felt in presence of such holy teaching, which soars above the partisan views of contemporary controversialists into the serene region of ideal, universal, eternal truth!
Not only do they see marriage in the context of the passages, but they see the reference to one man/one woman as a meaningful point as well. Hmmmm...but let's keep going.

Dr. Craig L. Blomberg is a prominent New Testament Scholar with a Ph.D. in New Testament Studies, well known in the community of Christian scholarship. In The New American Commentary: An Exegetical and Theological Exposition of Holy Scripture: Matthew, Blomberg writes in regard to Matthew 19: 4-6, emphasis mine:

Jesus goes beyond Deuteronomy and the Pharisees' debate to a creation ordinance. "Haven't you read," as in 12:3,5, challenges his interrogators' understanding of the Scriptures. He quotes the LXX (Septuagint, my addition) of Gen 1:27 and 2:24 almost verbatim. God originally intended for marriages to be permanent. He created two complementary genders for each other (even if vv. 10-12 will explain that God has not designed every single individual to be married). The marriage covenant has two parts to it. To "leave...and be united" means to transfer one's fundamental allegiance from parents to spouse. In the biblical world this did not often refer to setting up a separate domicile; extended families regularly lived together. "One flesh" describes the interpersonal intimacy that should characterize the marriage partnership and culminate in sexual relations. Verse 6a makes it clear that this creation ordinance remains in effect even after the fall of the human race, the giving of the law, and the coming of the kingdom of Jesus. Verse 6b puts forward the text made famous by thousands of marriage ceremonies--humans should do nothing to sunder the divinely ordained union of holy matrimony. Without vv. 4-6a one could imagine v. 6b implying that some marriages are not ordained by God; in context this view is indefensible. On the contrary, precisely because God wants all marriages to be permanent, we dare not do anything to jeopardize them.
pg 290​

Oh we see here the context is marriage, not just divorce.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BroRoyVa79

Aug 16, 2018
Virginia
✟27,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Proof texts? Me? From a verbal conversation/meeting? Nope. Don't have it.

No from the scriptures, original languages of them will do, but English works fine.

That's as convincing as anything you have presented thus far.

No, it backs up claims you made that God commanded polygamy.

If you are a professor, then I hope you use this as an object lesson with your students, because as sure as Jesus is coming back, most, if not all, are going to remain blind to any critical thoughts about your words given that most students have stars in their eyes when in the presence of those who have the almighty Ph.D's and Th.D's in their names. I even had a pleasant conversation with D. James Kennedy years ago in his office down in Florida, and he had some very heart warming stories about that phenomenon.....some really funny too.

You're the one who started appealing to Ph.D authority. Now that it didn't intimidate me and you are assuming my credentials, you're trying to belittle Professors and Doctoral degree holders now?

If you're accusing me of laying claim in this conversation to mistranslation, then you, sir, are out of line here because I never said anything about mistranslation. Yes, mistranslational anomalies do exist in many, if not all, translations. Even the KJV translators didn't consider their translation to be the best, but I have grown to respect that one above almost all others. I know that many people have adopted great trust in the Vaticanus, Siniaticus, Aleph, B, C, and some others, but I just don't place much liking in those, so I have pretty much stayed the course with the Textus Receptus. Some find fault with that, and that's fine. But it's 1 John 2:27 that I uphold as my motto above all else since we know God never misleads anyone. So, I hope your students have a good laugh along with you if you choose to use all this for brevity. That's cool. I wish I could be there to laugh right along with y'all, but the Lord has shown me things about all this that have richly blessed me. The families I know with plural wives, you will never know nor understand. They defy the usual stereotypes that most people possess about polygyny.

You're a bit all over the place here so I'm going to just repeat myself. I'm accusing you of making claims without providing evidence to support those claims. You're just declaring it so and anyone who challenges you, you just declare them wrong because you said so and you declare their theology uncredible, again, because you say so.

It's nice you know families that practice polygamy and they are nice people. That's great and all, but people can be nice and still not right with God in His plan.

So, once again my typing time is curtailed by having to go out on call. I have to get jets flying again that have highly sophisticated problems the aircraft technicians can't figure out with the navigational systems and radars.

Be safe.

I couldn't even begin to banter with you about Greek and Hebrew, but I do have access to at least two hand-fulls of scholars I've gotten to know over the years....some in Ivy League schools, some in middle of the road schools, and some in the lower regions of denominational schools as well as independents...

That's nice.

...and they have given me good reason to doubt you, a singular individual, given the rationalizations you've provided.

You haven't shown your reasons, you're just appealing to their authority. Doesn't even have to be a Greek and Hebrew thing, but you are the one who made a claim about singular versus plural misuse and all that. But it can just be some English passages that prove your point directly, not something you've injected meaning into. You know, like you claim I do.

I'm just a simple country boy with my Ph.D in Electronics and Electrical Engineering. I can't hold a candle to you in languages, but I know bull corn rationalizations when I see them.

It's simply using proper grammatical rules and literary rules, context, culture, history, all that. It's not magical, it's not mystical, nothing behind the curtain. Little different from English, that's all.

You keep saying stuff about my reasoning, but that is really all I'm doing, using proper grammar, literary context, historical context, etc. I can promise you that your scholar friends all do the same thing. Even ones I'll disagree with.

Getting into the original languages is a plus, but you don't even have to do that. You can just learn about the culture of the time, the history, pay attention to context, basic reading comprehension, stuff like that.

I also preach weekly sermons to those in our community church organization. I always encourage them to do as Paul of Tarsus commanded, which is to "Prove ALL things."

May the Lord bless you and yours.

Jr

I agree, prove all things. May the Lord keep you safe at work.

Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, it backs up claims you made that God commanded polygamy.

Let's dispense with blowing out of proportion what I said. I at no time ever said that God commanded polygamy. In the realm of honesty, what I said is that in certain cases God commanded the taking of a subsequent wife, and I provided the biblical reference for it. Please be honest with what I have said. Your misrepresentations don't reflect well upon you.

You're the one who started appealing to Ph.D authority. Now that it didn't intimidate me and you are assuming my credentials, you're trying to belittle Professors and Doctoral degree holders now?

(yawn) No. Again you are exaggerating my point. The Th.D's and Ph.D's with whom I have conversed about this had no axe to grind in support of the status quo of socially engineered theologies that so dominate modern churchianity and Western thought.

You're a bit all over the place here so I'm going to just repeat myself. I'm accusing you of making claims without providing evidence to support those claims. You're just declaring it so and anyone who challenges you, you just declare them wrong because you said so and you declare their theology uncredible, again, because you say so.

You have demanded that I prove a negative against the claims you have made that possess no credible evidence. You've mastered the art of creating a no-win scenario that I simply choose to not engage. I know a trap when I see one. You seem fixated on the idea that Jesus' address of divorce, with the use of of the singular "wife," is proof positive for your case. Claiming that the context supports the more broad application of that singular as bleeding over into the realm of polygyny is vastly less than impressive, and yet you think you've made the case. Well, feel free to break your own arm patting yourself on your back, but I still don't buy it. We can simply agree to disagree. That's cool with me.

It's nice you know families that practice polygamy and they are nice people. That's great and all, but people can be nice and still not right with God in His plan.

Well, condescension is also nothing new to my experience with people, so it's water on a duck's back with me.

Jr

Upvote 0

BroRoyVa79

Aug 16, 2018
Virginia
✟27,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Let's dispense with blowing out of proportion what I said. I at no time ever said that God commanded polygamy. In the realm of honesty, what I said is that in certain cases God commanded the taking of a subsequent wife, and I provided the biblical reference for it. Please be honest with what I have said. Your misrepresentations don't reflect well upon you.

(yawn) No. Again you are exaggerating my point. The Th.D's and Ph.D's with whom I have conversed about this had no axe to grind in support of the status quo of socially engineered theologies that so dominate modern churchianity and Western thought.

You have demanded that I prove a negative against the claims you have made that possess no credible evidence. You've mastered the art of creating a no-win scenario that I simply choose to not engage. I know a trap when I see one. You seem fixated on the idea that Jesus' address of divorce, with the use of of the singular "wife," is proof positive for your case. Claiming that the context supports the more broad application of that singular as bleeding over into the realm of polygyny is vastly less than impressive, and yet you think you've made the case. Well, feel free to break your own arm patting yourself on your back, but I still don't buy it. We can simply agree to disagree. That's cool with me.

Well, condescension is also nothing new to my experience with people, so it's water on a duck's back with me.

Jr

It's not telling you to prove a negative if you claim a thing in the text, original languages, is evident and then can't show that it is. If you make a claim that means you have the burden of proof.

You also keep missing the point about Jesus, who is God, advocating marriage between one man and one woman as an obvious indication that God prefers monogamy since that was how He created humanity to function as seen in Genesis. Therefore, it's a weak argument to say polygamy is not a bad thing because God didn't outright say it was.

In other words, you're trying to make an argument from silence (God didn't say it was evil and there are scriptures which support wives in the plural in the original language) then you get flustered when someone asks you for adequate evidence for that claim.

Edited

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You also keep missing the point about Jesus, who is God, advocating marriage between one man and one woman as an obvious indication that God prefers monogamy since that was how He created humanity to function as seen in Genesis. Therefore, it's a weak argument to say polygamy is not a bad thing because God didn't outright say it was.

Fortunately for me, then, that I never said polygyny is not for everyone. If you recall, I stated that MOST men should abstain from it. However, God's direct involvement with it, command for it in certain instances, and outright allowance for it without having ever declared it adultery, fornication, or anything else that is understood as sin, the claim, generally speaking, that it's NOW sin is utterly bankrupt. Also, appealing to what you call an "obvious indication" is less than impressive, to say the least. Your argument seems to assume that the Lord was either incapable of speaking specifically to the issue, or chose not to speak directly to the issue by leaving it to the socially engineered theologies to define and address to us all. Bandwagoneering isn't an impressive go-to.

In other words, you're trying to make an argument from silence (God didn't say it was evil and there are scriptures which support wives in the plural in the original language) then you get flustered when someone asks you for adequate evidence for that claim.

Uh, yeah. Nathan must have been mistaken in what he recalled the Lord wanted addressed to David, so therefore that is not one of the evidences I presented, and therefore my allegedly arguing from silence....

Sheesh. Flustered I am not. Laughing at your subjective take on the evidence presented, and then countering with false claims to the contrary, that causes me no consternation whatsoever.

Jr

Upvote 0

BroRoyVa79

Aug 16, 2018
Virginia
✟27,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Fortunately for me, then, that I never said polygyny is not for everyone. If you recall, I stated that MOST men should abstain from it.

Not the point

However, God's direct involvement with it, command for it in certain instances, and outright allowance for it without having ever declared it adultery, fornication, or anything else that is understood as sin, the claim, generally speaking, that it's NOW sin is utterly bankrupt.

Last time.

You're still missing the point. If God ordained, CREATED, and ESTABLISHED marriage between Adam (one man) and Eve (one woman) then what does that make polygamy? A corruption of God's original order. His regulation of it and allowance of it for whatever reason doesn't make it less than a corruption done by corrupted humans.

JUST LIKE DIVORCE IS A CORRUPTION OF HIS ORIGINAL ORDER, yet His regulation of it and allowance of it for whatever reason doesn't make it anything less than a corruption. Corruption meaning wrong.

Just like Murder is a corruption of God's original order. Corruption meaning wrong. His regulation of it does not make it right.

Him not saying "Thou shalt not commit polygamy" does not make polygamy justified or NOT WRONG when you think about His original created order of things and what He says about marriage when He speaks about it or one of his Prophets, Apostles, etc.

(CAPS and bold for emphasis)

Also, appealing to what you call an "obvious indication" is less than impressive, to say the least. Your argument seems to assume that the Lord was either incapable of speaking specifically to the issue, or chose not to speak directly to the issue by leaving it to the socially engineered theologies to define and address to us all. Bandwagoneering isn't an impressive go-to.

See above. You're trying to establish an argument from silence.

"Because God did not say bad a thing about a thing then that makes that thing not bad."

This flies in the face of the evidence that God said a thing about the thing in an indirect way when God spoke about marriage between a (one) man and a (one) woman whenever the topic of marriage came up whether that was getting betrothed in its cultural context, maintaining a marriage, or ending one.

Uh, yeah. Nathan must have been mistaken in what he recalled the Lord wanted addressed to David, so therefore that is not one of the evidences I presented, and therefore my allegedly arguing from silence....

See: Argument from silence.
Note: Before you try to jump on it, this is not the same as me asking you for proof texts or evidence of your claim. You made a truth claim about the original languages supporting your case. I asked you to back it up and I provided counter evidence to the contrary.

Sheesh. Flustered I am not. Laughing at your subjective take on the evidence presented, and then countering with false claims to the contrary, that causes me no consternation whatsoever.

Jr

Ok.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not the point
You're still missing the point. If God ordained, CREATED, and ESTABLISHED marriage between Adam (one man) and Eve (one woman) then what does that make polygamy? A corruption of God's original order. His regulation of it and allowance of it for whatever reason doesn't make it less than a corruption done by corrupted humans.

You obviously are a defender of the status quo of socially engineered theologies. If polygyny were a corruption of any intent within Adam having been given one wife, then why did not the Lord say something to at least ONE of the Patriarchs who practiced and lived polygynous marriage?

Your rationalizations are bankrupt. You're asking questions from silence. I'm merely pointing at the silence AND God's active giving of plural wives AND His command of it in certain cases. Does that mean the Lord endorses polygyny for ALL men? No! I never said that, and have actually spoken against most men even attempting it, especially in modern times.

You have not at all established that the Lord considered it a "corruption" for the Patriarchs to have had plural wives, or any other man apart from bishops and deacons. Your eisegetical renditions of key verses throughout only demonstrates your livid, foaming-at-the-mouth bias against what you cannot establish apart exegetically forcing violation into the texts, which only persuades the minds of unthinking followers of yours. Generally speaking, cultural brainwashing is alive and well today, even in the minds of many academics....

Jr

Upvote 0

BroRoyVa79

Aug 16, 2018
Virginia
✟27,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You obviously are a defender of the status quo of socially engineered theologies. If polygyny were a corruption of any intent within Adam having been given one wife, then why did not the Lord say something to at least ONE of the Patriarchs who practiced and lived polygynous marriage?

I disagree. You don't get it or agree, that's okay. Time to move on.

Your rationalizations are bankrupt. You're asking questions from silence.

I disagree.

I'm merely pointing at the silence AND God's active giving of plural wives AND His command of it in certain cases.

I disagree. God tolerated polygamy. Aside from the passage you argue that 2 Samuel 12:8 where Nathan is rebuking David for adultery and murder despite being given the spoils of Saul's household of which if you go back and read how David received most of that through human scheming (Saul's and his), God did not give anyone multiple wives.

Does that mean the Lord endorses polygyny for ALL men? No! I never said that, and have actually spoken against most men even attempting it, especially in modern times.

You're argument is from silence, it's essentially "God did not say a bad thing about this thing and therefore this thing is not bad because God did not say a bad thing about it."

You have not at all established that the Lord considered it a "corruption" for the Patriarchs to have had plural wives, or any other man apart from bishops and deacons. Your eisegetical renditions of key verses throughout only demonstrates your livid, foaming-at-the-mouth bias against what you cannot establish apart exegetically forcing violation into the texts, which only persuades the minds of unthinking followers of yours. Generally speaking, cultural brainwashing is alive and well today, even in the minds of many academics....

Jr

Again, if God started everything with one man and one woman and blessed that then anything outside of that, polygamy, same-sex, inappropriate behavior with animals, etc. anything outside of that is a corruption.

You also bring up the idea of key passages again, but I won't waste time asking for those passages as evidence.

We're going to have to agree to disagree and move on.

Upvote 0