St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
COLUMBUS, Ohio — A majority of Ohio voters said they would vote for Issue 1, the proposed abortion rights amendment, if the election was held today, according to a newly released poll by Baldwin Wallace University.

The poll released Wednesday showed 58.2% would vote yes, 33.5% would vote no, and 8.2% are undecided on the amendment.

Pres. Obama won Ohio twice. But since then, the state has moved rightward. So these poll numbers--assuming they're reliable--are somewhat surprising. But as regards Issue 1, I'm sure that the large majority of Yes votes are coming from women. Because women will not be told by men what they must do with their bodies.

Baldwin Wallace poll: 58% of Ohio voters supporting abortion amendment

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have to admit I'd prefer they throw the legislators who sought drastic restrictions out. Wake up, Ohioans...the very same legislators voting in these drastic restrictions are passing a bunch of other laws that harm your financial security and personal freedoms.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
COLUMBUS, Ohio — A majority of Ohio voters said they would vote for Issue 1, the proposed abortion rights amendment, if the election was held today, according to a newly released poll by Baldwin Wallace University.

The poll released Wednesday showed 58.2% would vote yes, 33.5% would vote no, and 8.2% are undecided on the amendment.

Pres. Obama won Ohio twice. But since then, the state has moved rightward. So these poll numbers--assuming they're reliable--are somewhat surprising. But as regards Issue 1, I'm sure that the large majority of Yes votes are coming from women. Because women will not be told by men what they must do with their bodies.

There appear to be a lot of Republican women who will vote to preserve reproductive health rights if given the chance,but still vote for Republican candidates. We've seen that in Ohio, Kansas, Montana and Kentucky.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private

After Ohio Supreme Court dismisses anti-abortion arguments, advocates work to unveil total abortion ban​

"It would be going against the majority of the voters, yes, I fully acknowledge that," Beigel responded. "Voters can decide to do things that are immoral and evil; That has been a deeply historical part of our country and the majority of people have desired evil at many times in our culture's history."

There we go....right-wing Buckeye's trying to legislate morality, and undo the will of the people. If history is any indication, the republicans will probably have to break some of their own 'moral' codes just to reverse this.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There we go....right-wing Buckeye's trying to legislate morality, and undo the will of the people. If history is any indication, the republicans will probably have to break some of their own 'moral' codes just to reverse this.
What moral codes?

-- A2SG, wasn't aware they had any of those left in the Trump era...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 29, 2005
✟183,770.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
What moral codes?

-- A2SG, wasn't aware they had any of those left in the Trump era...
The 'moral' codes they live by. I am sure either their truth, honesty, respect or compassion morals will fall in order for them to paint the majority of Buckeyes as immoral and evil. Yes, we are at the stage where the means are justifiable to reach their goal of a total abortion ban.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,066.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

After Ohio Supreme Court dismisses anti-abortion arguments, advocates work to unveil total abortion ban​

"It would be going against the majority of the voters, yes, I fully acknowledge that," Beigel responded. "Voters can decide to do things that are immoral and evil; That has been a deeply historical part of our country and the majority of people have desired evil at many times in our culture's history."

And can someone let me know why anyone would vote for a party that ignores what the voters actually want? Maybe it's just me, but I thought the whole idea of standing for public office was to enact the will of the people who voted you into that position.

If Beigel is telling his constituents that they are wrong, then maybe next time they'll vote for someone who thinks they are right. From memory it's a process called democracy.

• Agree
Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0

markkeller

Feb 27, 2023
Chicago
✟11,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

For me, it's hard to understand that something like this can happen in the 21st century. I know that abortion has always been a complicated and controversial topic for years, but a total ban is not an option. If abortion is legal, it doesn't matter that each pregnant woman will go and do it. No, it will be a choice, and I think it should be a choice. I'd never been into that topic, but I read the news, and I also need to write a paper on it, so I need to know a lot of information. I also came across this page https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/abortion-should-be-legalized-argumentative-essay/ which provided me also additional information and arguments on that issue, and now I'm ready to transport my thoughts on a paper. I don't want to convince everyone that I'm right or wrong, I just want to express my opinion. Everyone should have a choice, and banning abortion is wrong, and it's against human rights.
Recently I have seen and heard a lot of different thoughts on abortion from people with different religions and beliefs. And it's a very discussed topic not only because of the law changes and so on, but also because it has been controversial for years, and will always be.
I don't support abortion, but I can support the total ban on it. If there is a risk of losing a mother or chances that the child will be born with complicated diseases, I can't say that abortion is not the way. Or if the pregnancy is a result of a rape - I can't imagine what the person is going through, and being literary forced to give birth - I don't think it's the right thing.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟909,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Recently I have seen and heard a lot of different thoughts on abortion from people with different religions and beliefs. And it's a very discussed topic not only because of the law changes and so on, but also because it has been controversial for years, and will always be.
I don't support abortion, but I can support the total ban on it. If there is a risk of losing a mother or chances that the child will be born with complicated diseases, I can't say that abortion is not the way. Or if the pregnancy is a result of a rape - I can't imagine what the person is going through, and being literary forced to give birth - I don't think it's the right thing.
I always wonder why it is OK to take into account a woman’s emotional trauma during a rape pregnancy to allow for abortion, yet the same consideration is not given to other women who are experiencing emotional trauma over being forced to carry a pregnancy and give birth because the “chose to have sex”.

Not wanting to be pregnant is either a valid reason to abort in all circumstances or it is valid in none.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟575,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sure that the large majority of Yes votes are coming from women. Because women will not be told by men what they must do with their bodies.
I guess I am getting too old. I remember that the Roe vs Wade decision was made by an all-male Supreme Court.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟265,080.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
I guess I am getting too old. I remember that the Roe vs Wade decision was made by an all-male Supreme Court.

Sometimes I wonder if Christians are capable of empathy. This is one of those times. Did it ever occur to you that those men on the Supreme Court empathized with women and since they would not like to have their bodies controlled by the government, we shouldn’t allow it to be done to women?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟575,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There appear to be a lot of Republican women who will vote to preserve reproductive health rights if given the chance,but still vote for Republican candidates. We've seen that in Ohio, Kansas, Montana and Kentucky.
I can see the valid arguments on both sides; but this liberal way of speaking about abortion is just sleight of hand. If you want to be for abortion, then call it what it is. Calling abortion "reproductive health rights" is twisting our language into the incomprehensible.

Abortion is the opposite of reproduction. It terminates the act of reproduction.

This is made even worse by calling an act that kills a fetus as being about health, therefore treating pregnancy as a disease and the fetus as equivalent to a tumor.

Finally as far as "rights" to an abortion, there is no explicit right to an abortion in the Bill of Rights or subsequent amendments to the Constitution. To imply a right that is not explicitly defined is what led to Roe vs. Wade being overturned.

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟575,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sometimes I wonder if Christians are capable of empathy. This is one of those times. Did it ever occur to you that those men on the Supreme Court empathized with women and since they would not like to have their bodies controlled by the government, we shouldn’t allow it to be done to women?
We have empathy. We are strongly empathetic of the health of the fetus.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
For this reason, conservative states are trying to prevent referendums from reaching the voters--objecting to the language, changing the language with emotionally charged words, passing laws requiring supermajorities for referenda to pass, etc.

The response of conservatives to voter initiatives is to stamp them out so that the self-defined, single-issue "Christian" opinion prevails.

Isn't government supposed to represent us? All of us? Not just Christians. Not just "nones." Not just liberals. Not just conservatives. All of us.

If a majority of Ohioans want abortion access, there are things Ohio legislatures could do to change their hearts. They could provide more economic help to single moms. Give day-care subsidies. Make birth control more accessible.

Pro-choice Ohioans want abortion availability because there is lots of child poverty, disabled children not receiving the education or healthcare they need to thrive, etc.--and conservative Ohio does little.

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟575,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For this reason, conservative states are trying to prevent referendums from reaching the voters--objecting to the language, changing the language with emotionally charged words, passing laws requiring supermajorities for referenda to pass, etc.

The response of conservatives to voter initiatives is to stamp them out so that the self-defined, single-issue "Christian" opinion prevails.

Isn't government supposed to represent us? All of us? Not just Christians. Not just "nones." Not just liberals. Not just conservatives. All of us.

If a majority of Ohioans want abortion access, there are things Ohio legislatures could do to change their hearts. They could provide more economic help to single moms. Give day-care subsidies. Make birth control more accessible.

Pro-choice Ohioans want abortion availability because there is lots of child poverty, disabled children not receiving the education or healthcare they need to thrive, etc.--and conservative Ohio does little.
I agree with most of what you have written here, even the need to put this forward in ballot initiatives; but lets acknowledge that ballot initiatives, like political candidates are strongly influenced by money.

On your last sentence making an emotional appeal that abortion reduces poverty, that was a common argument prior to Roe vs. Wade. The issue is more complicated than just abortion. Here is a good, recent article on how the Child Tax Credit has impacted child poverty.

Upvote 0