Poll: Generational Curses:

Are generational curses Scripturally accurate.

• yes

• no

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
According to Paul, our foundation is built on BOTH the O/T (law) and the N/T (Prophets),with Jesus as the cornerstone.
There was NO new testament during the time of Paul! Every time the New Testament references scripture, it is the Old Testament.

The New testament is a collection of writings that were put together after the fact and later accounted also as scripture.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

This scripture that is mentioned is the Old Testament. It isn't a reference to a non-existent thing we now call the New Testament. It didn't exist at that time.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
✟16,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
There was NO new testament during the time of Paul! Every time the New Testament references scripture, it is the Old Testament.

The New testament is a collection of writings that were put together after the fact and later accounted also as scripture.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

This scripture that is mentioned is the Old Testament. It isn't a reference to a non-existent thing we now call the New Testament. It didn't exist at that time.
all of the OT events found in genesis and job etc, occured centuries BEFORE moses wrote it down. AND were TAUGHT verbally for all those centuries. they spoke GOD'S WORD to each other because writing and reading was not a mass skill for most of the OT time.

the scribes AFTER moses were pretty much the ONLY ones that could read and write. so most of the OT believers STILL spoke/sang/recited GOD'S WORD to each other.

much like troubadours/minstrels did in europe etc amongst the mostly illiterate population.

people learned to memorize, because MOST of them could NOT read/write.

likewise the NT writings/teachings were TAUGHT verbally before they were WRITTEN down between 45AD and 95AD. paul wrote letters to various churches/cities and told them to pass the letters around to each other. but even in paul's day singing/reciting/memorizing was commonplace. they had much better memories than modern man. survival depended on it.

so there was the VERBAL/spoken NT passing around in JESUS' and paul's time - until it was written down between 45AD - 95AD.

hence the truth that faith comes by hearing and hearing and hearing GOD'S WORD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
all of the OT events found in genesis and job etc, occured centuries BEFORE moses wrote it down. AND were TAUGHT verbally for all those centuries. they spoke GOD'S WORD to each other because writing and reading was not a mass skill for most of the OT time.

Actually if you study Job, it appears to be set in the time frame of the Exodus. The plagues that fall on Job also fall on Egypt. There is even a reference to the fall of mana in Job. The main friend of Job is Eliphaz the eldest son of Essau who is an old man at this time. Eliphaz was Jacob's nephew.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
✟16,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Actually if you study Job, it appears to be set in the time frame of the Exodus. The plagues that fall on Job also fall on Egypt. There is even a reference to the fall of mana in Job. The main friend of Job is Eliphaz the eldest son of Essau who is an old man at this time. Eliphaz was Jacob's nephew.
job's lineage places him before the flood. which would be waaaaaay before the exodus. job is the OLDEST story of the BIBLE. i will try to find documentation to back this up. methuselah died just before the flood and job died before methuselah.

the chronological BIBLE gives the dates for the job story.

i'll start searching for this right after i finish with documentation on lucifer/satan/king of tyre in the other thread.

Upvote 0

mandelduke

Oct 17, 2010
Choctaw Ms
✟8,881.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is a verse that has led some to believe the Bible teaches intergenerational punishment for sin, but this interpretation is incorrect. The verse in question is Exodus 20:5, which says in reference to idols, “You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me.” This verse is speaking not so much of punishment, but of consequences. It is saying that the consequences of a man’s sins can be felt generations later. God was telling the Israelites that their children would feel the impact of their parents’ generation as a natural consequence of their disobedience and hatred of God. Children raised in such an environment would practice similar idolatry, thus falling into the established pattern of disobedience. The effect of a disobedient generation was to plant wickedness so deeply that it took several generations to reverse. God does not hold us accountable for the sins of our parents, but we sometimes suffer as a result of the sins our parents committed, as Exodus 20:5 illustrates.

Ezekiel 18:20
20 The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
✟16,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is a verse that has led some to believe the Bible teaches intergenerational punishment for sin, but this interpretation is incorrect. The verse in question is Exodus 20:5, which says in reference to idols, “You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me.” This verse is speaking not so much of punishment, but of consequences. It is saying that the consequences of a man’s sins can be felt generations later. God was telling the Israelites that their children would feel the impact of their parents’ generation as a natural consequence of their disobedience and hatred of God. Children raised in such an environment would practice similar idolatry, thus falling into the established pattern of disobedience. The effect of a disobedient generation was to plant wickedness so deeply that it took several generations to reverse. God does not hold us accountable for the sins of our parents, but we sometimes suffer as a result of the sins our parents committed, as Exodus 20:5 illustrates.

Ezekiel 18:20
20 The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them.
excellent post.

Upvote 0

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
job's lineage places him before the flood. which would be waaaaaay before the exodus. job is the OLDEST story of the BIBLE. i will try to find documentation to back this up. methuselah died just before the flood and job died before methuselah.

i'll start searching for this right after i finish with documentation on lucifer/satan/king of tyre in the other thread.
Job was Jobab ('father Job') in the genealogies. He was NOT before the flood! He was a Hebrew, ie descent from Eber/Heber. There are many references that place Job after the flood. For example the 'land of Uz'. Uz was like his great uncle. The land of Ophir is also mentions. Ophir is his elder brother. His friend Eliphaz was Essau's eldest son. It specifically mentions Eliphaz of Teman. Teman was the city of Eliphaz's eldest son. He was a duke of Edom.

22 The children of Shem; Elam, and Asshur, and Arphaxad, and Lud, and Aram.
23 And the children of Aram; Uz, and Hul, and Gether, and Mash.
24 And Arphaxad begat Salah; and Salah begat Eber.
25 And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother’s name was Joktan.
26 And Joktan begat Almodad, and Sheleph, and Hazarmaveth, and Jerah,
27 And Hadoram, and Uzal, and Diklah,
28 And Obal, and Abimael, and Sheba,
29 And Ophir, and Havilah, and Jobab: all these were the sons of Joktan.

Ge 36:15 These were dukes of the sons of Esau: the sons of Eliphaz the firstborn son of Esau; duke Teman, duke Omar, duke Zepho, duke Kenaz,

Job 2:11 Now when Job’s three friends heard of all this evil that was come upon him, they came every one from his own place; Eliphaz the Temanite (Eliphaz from Teman)

It was common practice to name a city after your firstborn son and live with him because the eldest inherited the double portion and maintained his parents in their old age. Eliphaz was living in the city of Teman, ie a Teminite (from Teman) but Teman was his eldest son's name. Teman is in Edom the land of Esau.

There is NO WAY Job is pre-flood! It actually mentions the flood in Job! The doctrine that Eliphaz is telling Job is straight out of Babylonian sun god worship. Eliphaz had a pagan Canaanite mother and his doctrine is pagan but he is also a Hebrew as well as being descent from Abraham.

Where do you get the idea that Job is pre-flood? Job also had the life span of an individual that lived not too many generations down from the flood. He lived another 170 years after his restoration. Jobab was of the 5th generation after the flood when the lifespans were like 400+ years.

Yah enticed HaSatan to focused on Job and sending plagues against him while Yah was delivering the children of Israel out of bondage in Egypt. Some of them were actually descendants of Job. Two of the sons of Jacob married earlier daughters of Jobab including the wife of Levi, the grandmother of Moses.

There are a multitude of pagan references given by Job's friends. The paganism referenced is the Canaanite paganism that was taken from Babel.

Upvote 0

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
leviathan had a tail as big as a tree - dinosaurs were extinguished in the flood. if job saw a leviathan he had to have lived pre-flood. MOSTLY

and then geneologies which i am still researching.
By the way, that passage you mentioned is about Bohemoth, not Leviathan.

15 Behold now behemoth, which I made with thee; he eateth grass as an ox.
16 Lo now, his strength is in his loins, and his force is in the navel of his belly.
17 He moveth his tail (Penis) like a cedar: the sinews of his stones (testicals) are wrapped together.

Leviathan, Lotan, Yam and Rahab were the names of the pagan god of the sea represented as a dragon. It is also the Hebrew word for whale or sea monster.

Earlier in Job, a curse said in the name of Leviathan. How do you curse someone by a dinosaur?

Leviathan, the Cockatrice and Behemoth were the three dragons (great serpents) mentioned in scripture. One had dominion over the waters, one over the sky and one over the earth. The cockatrice may even be the one called the 'great red dragon' of Revelation.

Isa 51:9 Awake, awake, put on strength, O arm of the LORD; awake, as in the ancient days, in the generations of old. Art thou not it that hath cut Rahab, and wounded the dragon?

Isa 27:1 In that day the LORD with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea.

These passages are NOT about a dinosaur. They pertain to the representations of some of the ancient pagan gods that took on forms of a dragon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dkbwarrior

Favoured of the Lord
Sep 19, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
✟14,349.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I did a pretty in depth study on this some time back, and I narrowed it down to the time period of the Patriarchs, between Abraham and Joseph. It is pretty hard to narrow it down more than that, with the information that we have, but I am pretty confident of those dates.

You can find my full reasoning for this in my lesson on Job here:

The Suffering Of Job

Hope that helps!

Peace...

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2012
✟15,574.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Scriptural
or
False Teaching?

please support your position with one or two verses that speak of curses that go from generation to generation
Why is the poll closed? My vote would be no. Generational curses teaching is false. There is no verse of scripture that says curses go from generation to generation.

Upvote 0

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why is the poll closed? My vote would be no. Generational curses teaching is false. There is no verse of scripture that says curses go from generation to generation.

Sure it does, several have been listed in this thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Sep 2, 2012
✟15,574.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Sure it does, several have been listed in this thread.
I have searched this entire thread again and scripture and cannot find one scripture quoted that says that curses are passes down to the next generation. Would you be so kind as to give those quotations.

Upvote 0

~RENEE~

Legend
Jan 21, 2005
home
✟28,526.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2012
✟15,574.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the link to your blog, but those scriptures in your blog are about sins and iniquities of the fathers passing down to their children. How do you get generational curses out of that?

You can also find scriptures about bad company being a corrupting influence, and keeping company with fools will bring you harm, which more accurately explains the scriptures you quoted in your blog than the idea of generational curses being handed down the bloodlines.

You can't substitute your own words for what scripture really says. Even the Amplified Bible doesn't stretch any of those scriptures you quoted in your blog to mean generational curses.

So the bottom line is there is no scripture that outright says that there is anything called a generational curse that is handed down the bloodlines. Therefore I stand by my vote that generational curses are a false teaching. People who claim generational curses teaching is true can't even provide a scriptural basis for their stretch in logic.

Upvote 0

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have searched this entire thread again and scripture and cannot find one scripture quoted that says that curses are passes down to the next generation. Would you be so kind as to give those quotations.

Isa 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

Ex 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Although unconverted people may be affected by generational curses, once a person has been born again they become totally new creatures in Christ. Therefore their spiritual generation goes back only once - to Christ. This is part of sonship. When a person is born again they become sons and daughters of God. God is not affected by generational curses, and those who are born of Him are not either.

Therefore, if a person has been affected by generational curses in their unconverted state, these curses are broken off the moment he or she is born again.

Therefore, if a born again Christian is in bondage to alcohol (for example), because his father and grandfather were alcoholics, it will not be a generational curse, but learned behaviour influenced by people in his environment. This means that the person needs to be delivered from his alcohol addiction, and not from a generational curse.

Upvote 0