Poll: Generational Curses:

Are generational curses Scripturally accurate.

• yes

• no

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yahu

Jezebel's bain
May 14, 2012
✟3,900.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Although unconverted people may be affected by generational curses, once a person has been born again they become totally new creatures in Christ. Therefore their spiritual generation goes back only once - to Christ. This is part of sonship. When a person is born again they become sons and daughters of God. God is not affected by generational curses, and those who are born of Him are not either.

Therefore, if a person has been affected by generational curses in their unconverted state, these curses are broken off the moment he or she is born again.

Therefore, if a born again Christian is in bondage to alcohol (for example), because his father and grandfather were alcoholics, it will not be a generational curse, but learned behaviour influenced by people in his environment. This means that the person needs to be delivered from his alcohol addiction, and not from a generational curse.

It was the generational curse that brought in the temptation to fall into that behavior. It would happen even if the child was adopted and had no learned behavior from biological parents.

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2012
✟15,574.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Isa 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

Ex 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
Still not curses. How can you keep adding the word curse where the word is sin and iniquity?

There is no scripture like this that says the curses of the father are visited on their children. You are stretching scripture to make up your own doctrine.

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2012
✟15,574.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Although unconverted people may be affected by generational curses, once a person has been born again they become totally new creatures in Christ. Therefore their spiritual generation goes back only once - to Christ. This is part of sonship. When a person is born again they become sons and daughters of God. God is not affected by generational curses, and those who are born of Him are not either.

Therefore, if a person has been affected by generational curses in their unconverted state, these curses are broken off the moment he or she is born again.

Therefore, if a born again Christian is in bondage to alcohol (for example), because his father and grandfather were alcoholics, it will not be a generational curse, but learned behaviour influenced by people in his environment. This means that the person needs to be delivered from his alcohol addiction, and not from a generational curse.
I agree that all things become new at the new birth, you have a new genealogy, and all curses are broken, by the blood of Jesus, but where do you get generational curse from?

Upvote 0

jpcedotal

Old School from the Backwoods - Christian Style
May 26, 2009
In between Deliverance and Brother, Where Art Thou
✟20,793.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Generational curses are very real...have you not noticed the world we live in today? The sins of our fathers are very much affecting us today.

But this is different in the sense of individual sin and discipline. Generational sin effects the community we live in and each of us personally in that sense.

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2012
✟15,574.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Generational curses are very real...have you not noticed the world we live in today? The sins of our fathers are very much affecting us today.

But this is different in the sense of individual sin and discipline. Generational sin effects the community we live in and each of us personally in that sense.
Again, show me in scripture generational curses. Sin and the affects of sin are what I see in the world today.

Adam was the first to sin and see the affects of sin. Where was generational curses in Eden?

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2012
✟15,574.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
The danger in calling sin and the affects of sin generational curses is that it misleads people. They start to think of curses and witchcraft or some mysterious thing. Then they search the Bible for answers and cannot find anything about generational curses in the Bible so they go looking elsewhere for answers.

We are supposed to lead people to Christ and to the power of God's word. Man made teachings like generational curses do the opposite. They cause people to look outside of scripture and away from Jesus' work on the Cross.

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2012
✟15,574.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
you have been given scripture but you excuse them away in the Bible they used different terminology than we do now. Just keep that in mind. And you last statement shows a lack of understanding your attitude shows a desire to not understand.

There are many scriptures about curses in the Bible and many scriptures about sin and iniquity, but you can't mix the two together unless the Bible does. The Bible does not mix curses and sin together and call them generational curses. If you can't find scripture to clearly state what you are saying then you need to change what you are saying to what scripture says.

I know generational curses is a well known man made teaching but I am trying to show that it is not a teaching of the Bible. I don't mean to offend anyone. I apologize if I have somehow done that. I am only trying to say that you can't insist that we all believe in generational curses when it is not something taught in scripture.

Reactions: marawuti
Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2012
✟15,574.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
yes but highly misunderstood. For more info read my blog.

Renee's thoughts: Generational Curses
I read your blog and here is the scriptures you used in your blog. Not one of these scriptures talks about generational curses. And I don't see how anyone can substitute generational curses for what the Bible has four times called sin and iniquity.

Websters says iniquity is lack of righteousness or justice; wickedness.
Visiting means seeing and observing according to Simply Put.

Exodus 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting (seeing and observing) the iniquity (lack of righteousness or justice; wickedness) of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

Exodus 34:7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting (seeing and observing) the iniquity (lack of righteousness or justice; wickedness) of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

Numbers 14:18The LORD is longsuffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty, visiting (seeing and observing) the iniquity (lack of righteousness or justice; wickedness) of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation.

Deuteronomy 5:9 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting (seeing and observing) the iniquity (lack of righteousness or justice; wickedness) of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 2, 2012
✟15,574.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Here is the mistake made by a whole lot of people.

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate
me;
-Exodus 20:5

Key words here:
iniquity: this is not a curse placed by God, but a result of their own actions. It comes from the Hebrew 'avon' and is describing their perversity and depravity.
The term "visiting" means observing, or seeing.
Notice the second key to this -
"those that hate me"
My points:
1. This is not a curse, does not refer to a curse and certainly doesn't come from God.

2. The closest this can be is the sin that people who hate God participate in.

It has no bearing whatsoever on a Born Again Christian.

why?

1. You cannot repent for someone else's sin.

2. According to Scriptures:
2 Cor 5: 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

And

1 Pet 2:9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;​
This makes sense.

Upvote 0

jpcedotal

Old School from the Backwoods - Christian Style
May 26, 2009
In between Deliverance and Brother, Where Art Thou
✟20,793.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Again, show me in scripture generational curses. Sin and the affects of sin are what I see in the world today.

Adam was the first to sin and see the affects of sin. Where was generational curses in Eden?

Death is the generational curse from the original sin in Eden.

Upvote 0
Sep 2, 2012
✟15,574.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Death is the generational curse from the original sin in Eden.
I agree that death is the result of sin, but scripture connects the dots for a concept of generational sin, as you mentioned in one of your previous posts, not generational curses.

Romans 5:12 says, death enters the world through Adam's sin.

"Just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all have sinned."

Daniel 9:11 says, curses fall on those who turn away from God and break His laws.

"All Israel have transgressed thy law, even turning aside so as not to listen unto thy voice. And the curse hath been poured out upon us, and the oath that is written in the law of Moses the servant of God: for we have sinned against him."

Galatians 3:13 says,"Christ has redeemed us out of the curse of the law, having become a curse for us, for it is written, Cursed is every one hanged upon a tree"

Romans 5:17-21 says, "For if by the transgression of the one man death reigned through that one, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one, Jesus Christ.Therefore, just as one man’s transgression brought condemnation for all men, so also one man’s righteous act brought justification and life for all men. So that just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

The 4 scriptures that have been quoted on sin passing down to 3 or 4 generations, would be more accurately called generational sin, as you did in one of your previous posts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums