Poll for non-Christians

Have your general attitudes toward Christianity and Christians changed in the last 3 years?

• Attitude toward Christianity is generally more favorable.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Attitude toward Christianity stayed the same.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Attitude toward Christianity is generally less favorable.

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Attitude toward Christians is generally more favorable.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Attitude toward Christians stayed the same.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Attitude toward Christians is generally less favorable.

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Just a quick poll intended for the non-Christians who might still be lurking in the World Religions forum.

I'm curious if your attitudes toward Christianity as a religion and Christians in general have changed over the last 3 years. You can pick two options.

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm curious why you picked the time period of the last 3 years. Is it just like "recent life history", or something else about the last 3 years?

Yeah, pretty much. I figured it's long enough to consider a trend while still being fresh in memory.

Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just a quick poll intended for the non-Christians who might still be lurking in the World Religions forum.

I'm curious if your attitudes toward Christianity as a religion and Christians in general have changed over the last 3 years. You can pick two options.
Just curious. How has your attitude towards Christianity and Christians changed?

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I voted the same on Christianity and more favorable on Christians.

The Christian members today seem more willing to dialogue with non-Christians in a friendly way. The unfriendly Christian members seem to be gone or at least less vocal.

There was more of an "us vs. them" attitude in the past, and that seems to be less.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I voted the same on Christianity and more favorable on Christians.

The Christian members today seem more willing to dialogue with non-Christians in a friendly way. The unfriendly Christian members seem to be gone or at least less vocal.

There was more of an "us vs. them" attitude in the past, and that seems to be less.

How recent was the hostile atmosphere?

I wasn't really active in this place till about a year and half ago. I didn't get serious about it, till Facebook seemed to go in decline after a years of trying that for some kind of Christian blogging and networking and found it somewhat disappointing for that (pretty much made for connecting with old friends and not so much finding new ones based on shared interests etc.). And I didn't really get serious about Facebook and Blogging there until my seperation/ divorce in very late 2015.

At different times, I looked at this place but tended to by pass it. I think, I was put off a bit because it looked to Balkanized with all its unique Faith boards. I was on a "Postmodern Christian" board for over 9 years that was very, very loosely/ minimally moderated and had a blast mixing it up with people from all kinds of different Faith and Philosophical backgrounds. It was almost like some kind of Hegelian Dialectic in action. Anyway I tended to stay away from this place because it looked too strict or compartmentalized, but eventually more boards have disappeared off the web leaving only a few Fundamentalist type ones and this place. And I eventually got to like it here, you just have to watch out for the unique rules for every board....

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Just curious. How has your attitude towards Christianity and Christians changed?

My attitude toward the religion itself hasn't changed.
My attitude toward Christians in general has become less favorable, to put it politely.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My attitude toward the religion itself hasn't changed.
My attitude toward Christians in general has become less favorable, to put it politely.

The problem is "Christian" is such a broad category. I can easily imagine why you haven't liked Christians. In my younger days, after going to Christian parochial schools etc. I did my best to get away from Christianity and Christians in my college days etc.

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
The problem is "Christian" is such a broad category. I can easily imagine why you haven't liked Christians. In my younger days, after going to Christian parochial schools etc. I did my best to get away from Christianity and Christians in my college days etc.

For the purposes of this thread, a Christian is someone who accepts Jesus Christ as their lord and savior. It's intentionally broad. I think non-Christians recognize the different denominations with a full spectrum of beliefs and political affiliations, but to us a "true Christian" is kind of irrelevant since it could be anyone.

Reactions: Zoness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
How recent was the hostile atmosphere?
After thinking some more, I suspect that the key change was the creation of the apologetics sub-forum whenever that happened. The people who enjoy debating can have their fun in that sub-forum and leave this sub-forum more friendly.

But to be honest, I can't remember clearly what it was like 3 years ago and how it has changed if at all. Sometimes I need to think to remember what year and month it is currently, because it all seems the same after a while.

• Informative
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟732,615.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
It's an interesting question for self reflection. Though many of my Spiritual hero's are Christian, I'm clearly effected by the Trump effect. The conviction that I'm about to share has only increased and become even more set in my heart the pass 3 years. What I see and have experienced is that standing over there to the side of the room is Jesus Christ. And standing way over there on the other side of the room are Christians...and it's only rarely that they cross paths.

• Useful
Reactions: awitch
Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Less favorable on both the religion and the people. The people more so than the religion but at some point I have to weigh the religion in as well. I think the reasons are self-evident to my fellow non-Christians. *vague hand waving*

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I just realized that I misunderstood the question. I thought @awitch was asking about Christian members on CF rather than Christians in real life. I don't follow the news, so I have no opinion on that. The Christians I know in real life seem to be more private about their beliefs. For example, a few years ago it was not uncommon for people to say, "have a blessed day", but I don't hear that as much now.

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I just realized that I misunderstood the question. I thought @awitch was asking about Christian members on CF rather than Christians in real life.

I'm referring to both actually; all Christians on line and in person.

• Informative
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Besides the Trump worship, my attitude towards Christianity has stayed about the same. There are plenty of bad apples in the secular camp where I don't really feel much of a need to differentiate Christianity.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hard to say.

Thats because anymore there's this thing called "Christianity" thats really just a loyalty enforcement mechanism for the Republican Party. It currently makes the loudest claims for itself as real Christianity.

Meanwhile, I do sense that there's this other sort of Christianity lingering, but so quietly that I'm not sure what it is anymore.

Upvote 0

awitch

Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
While it hasn't exactly been pushed that far down, I just wanted to give this thread a bump and remind everyone that you can vote once in each category (for Christianity and Christians) and you still change your votes until the 15th when the poll closes.

Plan to start a follow up thread with some questions based on the results at that time.

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married

I missed the window for the poll, but I went from being a Christian to feeling strongly unfavorable toward faith and religion in the last three years.

• Useful
Reactions: awitch
Upvote 0