Poll: Do you trust the US news media to be ethical?

Do you trust the US news media to be ethical?

• Yes

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Rarely

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 52.9%

• Total voters

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Sometimes and by that I mean those that aren't hamstrung by corporate interests or other aspects that make it so they have to present the news with a skew that's unnecessary when you're not editorializing specifically.

My local paper is pretty good in my experience, offering both sides in terms of Letters to the Editor (which I've sent 2 in the last few months, kind of not motivated to do it now, thankfully)

Reactions: food4thought
Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes and by that I mean those that aren't hamstrung by corporate interests or other aspects that make it so they have to present the news with a skew that's unnecessary when you're not editorializing specifically.

My local paper is pretty good in my experience, offering both sides in terms of Letters to the Editor (which I've sent 2 in the last few months, kind of not motivated to do it now, thankfully)
I have a solid local paper as well, but I was thinking about the national news outlets.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I think the phrase "news media" is an oxymoron these days because news and media are two opposite things. News you expect facts and truth and media to be entertained but when the two are together you get neither.

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Media used to be said to exist to keep government honest.
These days, the Media is the spearhead of the problem, IMO.
Exactly why I started this thread... I think the extent that we in America have become divided can be, in large part, laid at the feet of our partisan news media (on both sides). I wonder how many people take the time to look at a variety of sources with different views.

Maybe I should have posted this in the politics forum?

• Winner
Reactions: OtherSheep
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Which news media? Some of them I trust more than others based on their track record and actions.

Exactly. This is a misleading question as it lumps all 'US news media' together.

It's like asking someone 'do you like movies?' without specifying the genre or anything else.

Upvote 0

OtherSheep

Nov 1, 2020
wi
✟1,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Exactly why I started this thread... I think the extent that we in America have become divided can be, in large part, laid at the feet of our partisan news media (on both sides). I wonder how many people take the time to look at a variety of sources with different views.

Maybe I should have posted this in the politics forum?

We all have our bias. Being fair means exactly what you say, looking at every issue from both the side in which you dwell and the side which you don't generally agree with. I have found that fair and balanced really isn't on the side of one. It always takes two witnesses to establish what happened.

So, when you're reading history books, you are wise if you read the history from the side of the vanquished as well as the side of the victors who generally get to write the official version.

• Agree
Reactions: food4thought
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wanted a general sense of how people regarded the news outlets in general. I have seen enough to think all the major news outlets, at least the ones on TV, to think that all of them are guilty of bias in what they choose to report on, and also in how they slant what they do report on.

This is why I refrained from picking on any one outlet.

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2010
✟55,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not even Christians can be ethical all the time. We make mistakes so I certainly wouldn't trust any news source that doesn't regard God in how they go about their reporting. The human heart is naturally selfish and its easy to fall into the trap of being motivated by money and acceptance from others instead of truth

Upvote 0

stevenfrancis

Disciple
Dec 28, 2012
United States
Visit site
✟47,642.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No. I don't see that changing. They would have a lot of work to do to get me back on board. In the mean time, I piece things together myself from sources such as the Daily Wire, Blaze TV, and Newsmax, and my local news stations for local issues. I used to like FNC a little, but even they've gone nutty lately. But, all in all, the less national news the better as far as I'm concerned. Just the basics with as little spin as I'm able to find. I'd much rather spend the bulk of my time in scripture and the summa.

Upvote 0