Poll: Do you believe in eternal conscious torment in hell and were your parents strict?

Do you believe in eternal conscious torment (ECT) in hell and were your parents strict?

• My parents were very strict and I believe in ECT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My parents were somewhat strict and I believe in ECT

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • My parents were not at all strict and I believe in ECT

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • My parents were permissive and I believe in ECT

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • My parents were very strict and I do NOT believe in ECT

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • My parents were somewhat strict and I do NOT believe in ECT

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • My parents were not at all strict and I do NOT believe in ECT

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • My parents were permissive and I do NOT believe in ECT

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

cuja1

Sep 28, 2012
Springfield, IL
✟22,661.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So what's the purpose of the thread? to find out what the Bible says?
No. The purpose is to see if their is any correlation between upbringing and belief in ECT. Should I have posted in a different group?

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I answered "My parents were somewhat strict and I do NOT believe in ECT". However, growing up I did believe in ECT and it scared the crap out of me --- to the point of night terrors. As I matured I came to realize that if one believes in a loving, just, compassionate God a belief in ECT becomes impossible.

Upvote 0

cuja1

Sep 28, 2012
Springfield, IL
✟22,661.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I answered "My parents were somewhat strict and I do NOT believe in ECT". However, growing up I did believe in ECT and it scared the crap out of me --- to the point of night terrors. As I matured I came to realize that if one believes in a loving, just, compassionate God a belief in ECT becomes impossible.
Thanks for the response. I actually expected anyone with strict parents would believe in ECT.

Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My mother was somewhat strict, but she was secular. I believe in ECT, because it's TRUE! Jesus said so!
In fact, only a Loving God would create ECT! a god who does not create ECT is indifferent, and doesn't care about us!

• Agree
Reactions: ciesielski0
Upvote 0

cuja1

Sep 28, 2012
Springfield, IL
✟22,661.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My mother was somewhat strict, but she was secular. I believe in ECT, because it's TRUE! Jesus said so!
In fact, only a Loving God would create ECT! a god who does not create ECT is indifferent, and doesn't care about us!
Thank you for your response. I believe in ECT and my parents were somewhat strict.

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Parents: Not at all strict. (sensibly strict but not overbearing. Could watch predator/bloodsport etc 80's action)

I grew up believing in ECT because it was what I was taught, and what my parents were taught but like JackRT I found it logically impossible to believe in VECT (voluntary eternal conscious torment...God voluntarily chooses this condition). I can see some logical consistency with involuntary, or consequential separation from God as Hell (we choose our condition). But the Hades description of being raked over coals and such just seems logically inconsistent and purposeless. When I studied the verses for Hell I could both understand the reasons for ECH but I could also see where it could refer to annihilation just the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I need an "other" vote. Parents were not strict at all, but my grandparents, who had a large impact on my childhood were strict(ish) and devote Baptists. So I got both sides. At 5 years old I really didn't believe in God, and remained atheist/agnostic until about 25. It was through my reading of the Bible that I came to understand both God and Hell...which I do believe both exist. The Bible, while as not a crystal clear on the eternal torment aspect, proves that Hell is real. The Bible does more than suggest that those who are damned will go there, that the fires are eternal, and there is weeping and gnashing of teeth (this is to be assumed to be damned souls AND demons, but that is based on literary assumptions apart from clear textual fact).

Reactions: cuja1
Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
I voted "Not at all strict", even though when I was in high school it felt strict. However, when I look back on it and compare it to how other households, they were stricter than some, but I think compared to the norm were on the less strict side of things.

I do not believe in ECT, even when I did was not sure about it. I grew up on the progressive side of the Churches of Christ and Hell was far from a focus point. In fact, I can't remember ever hearing a sermon or Sunday School lesson about Hell. However, it seemed that eternal conscious torment was kind of the main accepted belief, but Annihilationism was also seen as kind of another possibility. I guess you could say I grew up in an environment where the position on Hell was "We don't know, but we think it's this." Due to that, while I did believe in ECT, it was never a strong belief. However, over time as I studied The Bible and theology, both learning on my own and from others, I stopped believing in ECT some time in late high school to early college.

Reactions: cuja1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I've been thinking recently that there really is a connection between how we treat children and some aspects of theology. This actually makes sense, because Jesus says God is our Father.

The way we treat children has been changing over time. Today there's evidence that there are better alternatives to punishment. (I note that this doesn't mean no discipline, but that there are other ways to do it.) At the same time, people are asking whether it makes sense to think that God would use eternal torture, and also that the primary purpose of the atonement was to take the punishment that we would otherwise get.

It would be interesting to see whether there is a correlation between punishment of children and ideas about God punishing us. I'm not sure that a poll here is going to give a good enough sample.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I actually expected anyone with strict parents would believe in ECT.
I think a strictly raised person might rebel against that and want permissiveness and no hell. But another might appreciate having had attention of parents, and appreciates having been disciplined so he or she could learn to respect authority and draw lines and appreciate how there are consequences for our actions. And someone else would say you don't have to suffer punishment in order for you to learn to behave well.

So, you would learn a lot by actually getting to know each person :)

I understand that now, already, wrong people are sampling the torment, and if they do not change they will reap so much more after they die.

"Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life." (Galatians 6:7-8)

Upvote 0

cuja1

Sep 28, 2012
Springfield, IL
✟22,661.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been thinking recently that there really is a connection between how we treat children and some aspects of theology. This actually makes sense, because Jesus says God is our Father.

The way we treat children has been changing over time. Today there's evidence that there are better alternatives to punishment. (I note that this doesn't mean no discipline, but that there are other ways to do it.) At the same time, people are asking whether it makes sense to think that God would use eternal torture, and also that the primary purpose of the atonement was to take the punishment that we would otherwise get.

It would be interesting to see whether there is a correlation between punishment of children and ideas about God punishing us. I'm not sure that a poll here is going to give a good enough sample.
Agreed. We'd need better controls and a bigger sample of people. But it served to whet my curiosity and maybe that of others.

Upvote 0

cuja1

Sep 28, 2012
Springfield, IL
✟22,661.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think a strictly raised person might rebel against that and want permissiveness and no hell. But another might appreciate having had attention of parents, and appreciates having been disciplined so he or she could learn to respect authority and draw lines and appreciate how there are consequences for our actions. And someone else would say you don't have to suffer punishment in order for you to learn to behave well.

So, you would learn a lot by actually getting to know each person :)

I understand that now, already, wrong people are sampling the torment, and if they do not change they will reap so much more after they die.

"Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life." (Galatians 6:7-8)
Yeah, people probably have all sorts of reasons for why they believe the way they do. Rarely do people fit neatly in one box.

• Winner
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No. The purpose is to see if their is any correlation between upbringing and belief in ECT. Should I have posted in a different group?

There is no correlation between a person's upbringing and biblical truth. Bible truth is bible truth regardless of one's upbringing. 1+1=2 is a mathematical truth regardless of one's upbringing. My point being one's upbringing does not change truth.

So if there were some correlation between a person's upbringing and his/her belief in 'ECT', what would that correlation prove in regard to bible truth?

• Agree
Reactions: ciesielski0
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cuja1

Sep 28, 2012
Springfield, IL
✟22,661.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no correlation between a person's upbringing and biblical truth. Bible truth is bible truth regardless of one's upbringing. 1+1=2 is a mathematical truth regardless of one's upbringing. My point being one's upbringing does not change truth.

So if there were some correlation between a person's upbringing and his/her belief in 'ECT', what would that correlation prove in regard to bible truth?
It doesn't prove anything about what's true. What's true is true regardless of your upbringing. But what I was interested in finding out is if your upbringing affects whether you believe in ECT or not.

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It doesn't prove anything about what's true. What's true is true regardless of your upbringing. But what I was interested in finding out is if your upbringing affects whether you believe in ECT or not.

I see.

Yet one's upbringing should not affect how one believes for it would allow one to believe in all types of error.

Upvote 0

cuja1

Sep 28, 2012
Springfield, IL
✟22,661.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I see.

Yet one's upbringing should not affect how one believes for it would allow one to believe in all types of error.
I can't help but wonder if it does affect it however. I was raised in a protestant church that taught ECT. But what about other people raised in other religions?

I know that Buddhists and Muslims and a variety of people who were raised in other faiths have become Christians, but surely people of other religions have had their ability to believe in Christianity affected by how they were raised.

I wonder if they know the truth in their heart. Maybe they do but are conflicted by what they were told in the past. Still, it would have an affect on the person either way don't you think?

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I can't help but wonder if it does affect it however. I was raised in a protestant church that taught ECT. But what about other people raised in other religions?

I know that Buddhists and Muslims and a variety of people who were raised in other faiths have become Christians, but surely people of other religions have had their ability to believe in Christianity affected by how they were raised.

I wonder if they know the truth in their heart. Maybe they do but are conflicted by what they were told in the past. Still, it would have an affect on the person either way don't you think?

I am sure the influence of how was was brought up does have an affect in some way.

There is a song called "Old Time Religion" with the lyrics claiming that "old time religion" was good enough for others, then it's good enough for me. Well others may have been in error with their old time religion, is that good enough for me?

Upvote 0

cuja1

Sep 28, 2012
Springfield, IL
✟22,661.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am sure the influence of how was was brought up does have an affect in some way.

There is a song called "Old Time Religion" with the lyrics claiming that "old time religion" was good enough for others, then it's good enough for me. Well others may have been in error with their old time religion, is that good enough for me?

Do you mean that people shouldn't believe something just because their parents taught it to them or bc it was what they were exposed to?

Upvote 0