Police Officer Poses Next To Dead Body With Thumbs Up...

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I disagree. I admit that in overwhelmingly most cases, like, almost 100% of the times, you are right though.

I'm talking about cases that have some symbolical value for the society, and in those cases it's at the very minimum, understandable, if someone does that. In case of Pablo Escobar, I feel like picking on that after those guys did put their lives, and their families lives (P.E. made a habit of murdering families of cops) on the line in a war that killed hundreds if not thousands of people, is just petty moralism.
I am reminded of folks like Samuel Doe, who did hurt many people, but did not deserve to be humiliated and tortured before his execution. When Charles Taylor took over, many abuses and war crimes continued in Liberia. There is no room for people "having fun." If you want to show symbolic value to society, arrest the person, put them on trial, put them in prison. Show that no one is above institutions in society, that sends a stronger sentence than smiling with a corpse.

Upvote 0

Jack of Spades

I told you so
Oct 3, 2015
Finland
✟34,886.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I am reminded of folks like Samuel Doe, who did hurt many people, but did not deserve to be humiliated and tortured before his execution. When Charles Taylor took over, many abuses and war crimes continued in Liberia. There is no room for people "having fun." If you want to show symbolic value to society, arrest the person, put them on trial, put them in prison. Show that no one is above institutions in society, that sends a stronger sentence than smiling with a corpse.

I agree it's barbaric, but in some rare contexts, I understand it. Going too hard after minor details might not end up promoting justice, sometimes it can do the opposite, if details become a reason to ignore the big picture. That can be counter-productive, and also it's a great way to make a lot of people angry to be too eager to pick on such details.

But, as my last word on this, since what you are proposing, is by no means wrong in my books, I don't feel like arguing about this further. I am sure we can find some more relevant topic to disagree about. This isn't nowhere near the top of my list of important things to fight for.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,857.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Drug abuse and overdose is tragic. What's the police officer's excuse for being a lowlife?

That is what makes this difficult for me to understand. If instead this was an armed intruder case I can completely understand what the picture shows. Thumbs up meaning, yup this is the armed intruder and implying the gun is on the ground within sight of the officer.

Well actually I could understand then thumbs up if the officer got a pulse in a drug case. Guess I'm just not white enough to hate druggies.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So how should things work out for a guy who put more drugs in his body than his body could take ?
For one thing, society should consider viewing them as victims instead of criminals. Perhaps then they can start getting the help they need.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,212.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
From a personal perspective, I would find the officer's conduct objectionable. However, I understand the human emotion element at play here and the concept of being happy about someone else's death could be something we'd all be guilty of given the right circumstances.

For example, there were people celebrating the death of Bin Laden when that happened (obviously I'm not comparing drug OD to one of the largest terrorist attack of all time, but just as an example), do all of those people who cheered the death of Bin Laden have an evil lack of regard for human life? Are they all bad people for essentially celebrating the death of another human being?

I think there's a sliding scale here and we'd all have a specific set of circumstances (or threshold) that would cause us to maybe have an unethical moment of jubilation at the demise of another human being.
Yeah but, posing next to a dead body --even if it is Bin Laden-- like it's a trophy, is kind of not cool.

Upvote 0

Tull

Aug 13, 2016
Virginia
✟29,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For one thing, society should consider viewing them as victims instead of criminals. Perhaps then they can start getting the help they need.

I support the legalization of drugs for adults,if you want to destroy yourself there is no reason for the rest of society to have to endure crowded prisons,drug related crimes,drug cartels and laws such as civil forfeiture that often affect innocent people,the whole "drug war" is a fraud and failure.

Upvote 0