Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They could expand guest worker programs. There are actually already legal channels for migrants from Mexico to find seasonal work in agriculture.
Business loses the value of illegal labor by any means that makes it legal.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,086.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
They could expand guest worker programs. There are actually already legal channels for migrants from Mexico to find seasonal work in agriculture.
Using those programs is a competitive disadvantage when there is little, if any, penalty for flouting the law and using cheaper more easily exploited illegal labor.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Thirty years ago I worked with workers in those programs. (And they "wintered" at Eagle Pass where the whole Texas conflict is centered.)

Using those programs is a competitive disadvantage when there is little, if any, penalty for flouting the law and using cheaper more easily exploited illegal labor.

Back in the day Fortune 500 agribuisnesses didn't want to flout the law and Mexicans stuck out in our small town and those businesses didn't dominate the landscape. In places like the Central Valley of California and in Florida Latinos are generally more common and the businesses that might hire migrant labor are a bigger part of the local economy. I think that's why some companies used the legal process and others felt more willing to pass over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"17 For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality and accepts no bribes. 18 He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the foreigner residing among you, giving them food and clothing. 19 And you are to love those who are foreigners, for you yourselves were foreigners in Egypt. "
Deuteronomy 10:

I think we need a bipartisan task force to work out a feasible humane response.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WilliamLhk

Nov 6, 2023
Colorado
✟15,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"17 For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality and accepts no bribes. 18 He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the foreigner residing among you, giving them food and clothing. 19 And you are to love those who are foreigners, for you yourselves were foreigners in Egypt. "
Deuteronomy 10:

I think we need a bipartisan task force to work out a feasible humane response.
You left out the part of the law that says that anyone in the land, including foreigners, who worshiped other gods was to be killed.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Neither did the rest of the scripture that was quoted
I wish more people would realize that. (The application of that bit to the present situation was rather bleak -- killing people for believing in the "wrong" god.)

Upvote 0

WilliamLhk

Nov 6, 2023
Colorado
✟15,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wish more people would realize that. (The application of that bit to the present situation was rather bleak -- killing people for believing in the "wrong" god.)
That was my point: one can't pick and choose what parts of the Law of Moses you think should apply, while ignoring the rest of It. Same goes for the NT scriptures.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That was my point: one can't pick and choose what parts of the Law of Moses you think should apply, while ignoring the rest of It. Same goes for the NT scriptures.
So, should we kill all those who work on the Lord's Day?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I can ignore whatever part of the Bible I want. (Generally, I ignore all Bible quotes posted here.)

And my point was that *none* of the Bible has any bearing on the laws of the United States.

Upvote 0

WilliamLhk

Nov 6, 2023
Colorado
✟15,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can ignore whatever part of the Bible I want. (Generally, I ignore all Bible quotes posted here.)
And a lot of people do ignore whatever part of the Bible they want. But God will still hold them responsible for their unbelief.
And my point was that *none* of the Bible has any bearing on the laws of the United States.
If so, too bad for us. But many if not most of the founders of this country did not share your view.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where does the NT say that?

There are people who want to use scripture to control those who are not believers in scripture. That effort always requires the OT to bolster it, because the OT was written for a theocratic nation. The NT was written for people who were--and were supposed to be--a minority group within a nation of unbelievers. The NT can't be enforced by the king's sword or the sheriff's pistol except by application of the Old Testament...you can't quote New Testament speakers to support that without ignoring a lot of the NT.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And a lot of people do ignore whatever part of the Bible they want. But God will still hold them responsible for their unbelief.

If so, too bad for us. But many if not most of the founders of this country did not share your view.

My "views" are just simple facts about US law. It is not based on any religious text and the Constitution prohibits "religious tests" for officeholders, for example.

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You left out the part of the law that says that anyone in the land, including foreigners, who worshiped other gods was to be killed.
I am not suggesting that we approach scripture as civil law. But if the Bible is going to have any relevance for us at all we do need to seriously consider the spirit. Jewish and Christian scripture is heavy on justice especially for the marginalized, the oppressed and vulnerable. In those days it was often widows and orphaned and strangers. Who is it today and does it matter?

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,299.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And they cherry picked which biblical laws were applicable at the time. Which were laws that were universally acceptable in any case and covered by many religious scriptures. They obviously discounted ones (mostly from the OT) that any reasonable person would reject.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,299.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I am not suggesting that we approach scripture as civil law.
But we certainly should not exclude any scripture from any religion just because it's religious. It would be nonsensical to reject the concept that stealing is wrong just because it's one of the ten commandments. Stealing is wrong not because it says so in the bible. It's wrong and it says so in the bible.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you’re going to live by the Old Testament and the law of Moses, I don’t think you get to pick and choose.
Probably best to leave that to the ancient Israelites

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0