Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
At certain times and in certain places under certain conditions... maybe.

ETA- I think this question might've been better answered had it been posted in the Catholic section.

Indeed, you are going to get many different answers in General Theology.

Is your question "is this what Catholics believe" and perhaps seeking to understand where they might agree and disagree?

Or is your question "do you agree with this aspect of Catholic Theology?"

I suspect you will get mostly an answer to the second here.

As for me, I'm not knowledgeable enough about the first, by a long shot, to begin to answer. As for the second, no, Orthodox do not teach indulgences.

If you do want the answer to the first, OBOB would be better.

The second will likely be a survey of who chooses to answer, in this forum.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay so I watched the movie Dogma and it meant mentioned a Plenary Indulgence and how whatever the church decrees God shall abide in heaven or something like that. So out of curiosity is any of this true about Indulgence that you just walk through an arch way and all your sins are forgiven?

Not exactly. This idea is extrapolated from Matthew 16:19, Matthew 18:18, along with John 20:22-23, and at first glance, by seem easy.

The caveat is that when we look at how Peter and the Apostles laid out the Gospel message in their letters, and as reflected in the book of Acts, there is no sense in which anyone is simply given a cake-walk through an archway of forgiveness and all is well. Repentance is indicated and expected somewhere in the process ...

So, do be careful with those Hollywood Dogmatics.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0