poppinskw

Senior Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
✟20,994.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have had a phone call not long ago from the person that was our homegroup leader from the church we used to go to....

He told us he wanted to speak to us about our choice to become Catholic.... he said we either go to his place to talk or he will come to our place, but either way he is going to talk to us. We have told him the choice has been made, its final, but he still wants to talk to us.

I dont want this to get heavy, I like him very much as a friend and he is a good homegroup leader, but he is very very anti Catholic with a passion.

How do I approach this meeting? do I debate it? do I just sit quietly and let him say his piece and then thank him and go home without saying much? :help:

I dont know, I only know I have butterflies in my stomach over this.

I have no idea why he has left this until now to speak about it, he knew about it before Easter, I guess he dosnt understand what it means to become Catholic..

Blessings

Les

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
poppinskw said:
I dont have time to consult my priest, he was coming in a couple of hours time, but we have told him he cant come here, because he would confuse and upset my elderly mom...We are going to his place.

Thanks Michie, I will send him to your place ;)

LOL!

I'm telling you Lel, it's tough being a convert. Especially with an active protestant background. You have my prayers & please refer him to catholicanswers.com .

You have no need to defend yourself. Seriously. He can either accept your decision or not.

I would not waste time letting him make you feel put on the defensive.

Say an Our Father. Pray for wisdom. Chaplet of Divine Mercy is a good one in stressful situations.

Let me know how it goes. :crossrc:

Upvote 0

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
You are under no obligation to engage this person in a discussion/debate that you don't want to. You are free to decline the invitation and insist that he respect your decision, both to convert, and to decline the invitation to "talk" about it. You don't have to let him force this "talk" onto either yourself or your husband. End of story. Just decline it, politely but firmly.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Skripper said:
You are under no obligation to engage this person in a discussion/debate that you don't want to. You are free to decline the invitation and insist that he respect your decision, both to convert, and to decline the invitation to "talk" about it. You don't have to let him force this "talk" onto either yourself or your husband. End of story. Just decline it, politely but firmly.

I agree with Skripper.

First of all, I can guarantee you that he prepared/rehearsed for this & when ready, called you.

Been there done that.

But please let us know what happens.

Upvote 0

poppinskw

Senior Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
✟20,994.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yea you are right Michie, I dont need to defend my decison and I wont, I will let him say what he wants and get it off his chest, then say thanks for caring and go home.

This man loves the Lord and the Word and will only be trying to save me from :scratch: whatever he thinks he is saving me from... He is going away soon to Israel for a few months so I guess he figures he has to do this before he goes.

Will let you know how it goes....
Do you want to think or pray about me sending him to you>> Naah didnt think so, oh well cant blame me for trying.:p

Les

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

poppinskw

Senior Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
✟20,994.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thing is, this was not really an invite, just a I am coming around to talk to you....I cant have mom upset, so John said we would go to his place..

John and I have talked about it ... neither of us are going to debate this, its not up for debate.

I wont defend or justify the right and best choice I have made in my Christian life.

Thank you all so much I am settling down a bit now, it just caught me by surprise.... after all these weeks I didnt expect it.

Les

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
poppinskw said:
Thing is, this was not really an invite, just a I am coming around to talk to you....I cant have mom upset, so John said we would go to his place..

John and I have talked about it ... neither of us are going to debate this, its not up for debate.

I wont defend or justify the right and best choice I have made in my Christian life.

Thank you all so much I am settling down a bit now, it just caught me by surprise.... after all these weeks I didnt expect it.

Les

I really wish you wouldn't go but I understand. I hope I'm wrong but if I am not, prepare to be shaken. We are never as strong as we think we are. Especially from our type of background. It will be upsetting if he does what I think he is planning on doing.

Either he accepts you & your husband as brothers & sisters in Christ or he does not.

It is not the conditions of this man & his beliefs that determine your salvation. But the Lord Himself & where He has led you at this point in your walk. :crossrc:

Upvote 0

Skripper

Legend
Jul 22, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟30,691.00
Faith
Catholic
Les,

If you feel you "must" go (though I can't, for the life of me, understand why you would if you don't want to), I would suggest inviting a learned Catholic apologist to go along with you. Even an amateur one. I'd bet there's one in your area that would be willing to go along. You just have to find him/her. You could postpone the "talk," if necessary, to give yourself opportunity to find someone to go with you.

Dave

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

poppinskw

Senior Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
✟20,994.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Les,

If you want to listen to his talk/speech, then that is certainly your choice. But it is a choice . . . you don't have to. Just know that he cannot force you to do anything you don't want to do.

Prayers for you and your husband.

Thank you Skripper, its not that I want to listen, I just think its best to let him get it over with, he wont give up we do... He really does think he is doing this for our good. As if we dont understand what we are doing, he thinks we are being deceived.

And I will remember the invite to NewMan, thanks Debbie.....

THE BIG GUN NewMan

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.