• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Please I need help!!!!!!!!!

Kostilaks

Aug 24, 2018
Macedonia
✟72,424.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i am praying to the Generic God due to ocd. I was in the super market and my ocd was telling me stuff like "go touch that product again etc" I did not want to. I was just trying to ignore the thought. suddenly, my ocd gave me some unwanted uncontrollable thoughts like " maybe say to the Generic God you won't touch obey the compulsions because if you do maybe a punishment will happen" It calmed me down because it took away the urge to touch that item and do the compulsions, but they were fast random thoughts made without my will by my ocd and not me. now ocd is telling me these " ha! now you have to always disobey ocd because you maybe have made a promise without your will"

the problem is I feel anxious because even thought they were fast thoughts without my will made by my ocd, I felt relieved just because I did not have to do the compulsion. and now ocd is accusing me like" ha! you felt relieved? maybe you are the one who made them. maybe the thoughts were yours!. since you felt relieved it maybe means you made them!"

I do not feel well! I did nothing wrong. they were just fast thoughts without my will. I did not made a promise.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i am praying to the Generic God due to ocd. I was in the super market and my ocd was telling me stuff like "go touch that product again etc" I did not want to. I was just trying to ignore the thought. suddenly, my ocd gave me some unwanted uncontrollable thoughts like " maybe say to the Generic God you won't touch obey the compulsions because if you do maybe a punishment will happen" It calmed me down because it took away the urge to touch that item and do the compulsions, but they were fast random thoughts made without my will by my ocd and not me. now ocd is telling me these " ha! now you have to always disobey ocd because you maybe have made a promise without your will"

the problem is I feel anxious because even thought they were fast thoughts without my will made by my ocd, I felt relieved just because I did not have to do the compulsion. and now ocd is accusing me like" ha! you felt relieved? maybe you are the one who made them. maybe the thoughts were yours!. since you felt relieved it maybe means you made them!"

I do not feel well! I did nothing wrong. they were just fast thoughts without my will. I did not made a promise.
We can pray for your help, that you have some quick relief today from these things. God is not 'generic' of course you will learn as you listen to more of the words of Christ. He is the Alpha and the Omega -- the Beginning, and the End.

Actually listening to more of the words of Christ is going to help you quickly in one good way (and in other ways soon also): it will help you redirect your mental focus onto something Good.

A helpful thing to know in case it comes up: It's not a wrong (nor a promise) to have a momentary impulse (or an involuntary thought) even if the thought or impulse is wrong somehow. (Thoughts/impulses only turn into wrongs if the person intentionally continues in what one understands is wrong -- when it becomes a voluntary wrong one chooses to do).

But one primary help I feel you need quickly (in addition to prayer) is to begin focusing your mind on what will really benefit you -- reading the words Christ said, and thinking/meditating on them. Repeating them to yourself. This is a very powerful thing to do, in more than one way that matters greatly.

This is in addition to other things people might do to help OCD.

Here's a good link to the Gospel of Matthew, and it's fine if you are not often a reader to start even in the 3rd chapter (or in the first chapter even at verse 18 if you have not read much in scripture yet and are not Jewish).

Matthew 1 NIV

If needed as a focus, you could try repeating what you read, trying to get all the words down, by memory, if that helps you. The most key thing for me is to truly listen to Christ's words, to really hear them all the way down in my heart and soul, unimpeded.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

You keep posting this.

You need professional medical help, not an internet forum.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but you aren't going to find the help you need here.

You aren't going to find a suitably qualified clinical psychologist here and even if there were one, this is not the format to conduct medical assessments or treatment.

Go and see your doctor immediately. The help you need is in the presence of medical professionals. Not online.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

[/QUOTE] I am praying to the Generic God due to ocd[/QUOTE]

My friend, there IS NOT a Generic God.

There is one God .... Jesus ... pray only to Him to deliver you from your ocd and thought related to it.

Your thoughts need to be focused on Jesus.

When you have thoughts that you describe as "ocd", or from the "ocd generic god" pray to Jesus to remove these thoughts from you. Do this every time ... and dismiss your "ocd" thoughts.

May the Lord deliver you and give you peace. Amen.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You keep posting this.

You need professional medical help, not an internet forum.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but you aren't going to find the help you need here.

You aren't going to find a suitably qualified clinical psychologist here and even if there were one, this is not the format to conduct medical assessments or treatment.

Go and see your doctor immediately. The help you need is in the presence of medical professionals. Not online.
I was just answering another question slightly like this, where the person asked if getting treatment (for a very different condition) was wrong to do (because shouldn't they pray), and I answered that getting medicine is fine.

It's not an Either-Or choice.

You don't have to do just
A) get medicine
OR
B) pray

As if you are not allowed to choose both.

As a believer, you can do both, and sometimes we need to do both. I say this as someone who has had more than 1 prayer I needed to do for a persistent physical problem answered, the problem healed, overnight. There's nothing wrong with medicine. It's not a choice of God vs doctors. That's a mistake to correct in one's mind. Every individual situation can be somewhat unique though, and there's no blanket answer.

But your point that medicine can help is valid, so long as you don't make the mistake of suggesting God cannot help.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I was just answering another question slightly like this, where the person asked if getting treatment (for a very different condition) was wrong to do (because shouldn't they pray), and I answered that getting medicine is fine.

It's not an Either-Or choice.

You don't have to do just
A) get medicine
OR
B) pray

As if you are not allowed to choose both.

As a believer, you can do both, and sometimes we need to do both. I say this as someone who has had more than 1 prayer I needed to do for a persistent physical problem answered, the problem healed, overnight. There's nothing wrong with medicine. It's not a choice of God vs doctors. That's a mistake to correct in one's mind. Every individual situation can be somewhat unique though, and there's no blanket answer.

But your point that medicine can help is valid, so long as you don't make the mistake of suggesting God cannot help.

With respect, there's a time and a place. Prayer is for things outside of our control, in my opinion. Nothing wrong with praying whilst getting help, but for the same reason you wouldn't pray for God to turn the light off because you don't want to get out of bed, praying for God to save you a trip to the doctor isn't the answer either.

Personally I think it's a bit insulting to ask God to do what we're perfectly capable of doing ourselves.

Upvote 0