BrotherMichael

Nov 14, 2006
✟7,872.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

Greetings from an old missionary here, who’s been spending most of the last 3 decades with my flock, spreading the Gospel to the 4 corners of the Earth. I recently turned 80—so please forgive the computer illiteracy of an old codger here—but when one reaches such a ripe old age, one really starts to think about the most important goals for his and future generations. So after working around the world for so many decades, I’ve come to the conclusion that there’s one region of the world, now more thirsty than any other for the Gospel to be delivered to them: Europe. Yes, Europe—and specifically, the European Continent.

This may not have been the first guess of most people, but it’s something that I’ve gradually come to realize after so many years as a messenger on the ground, wondering where I and my flock should go next, where the urgency is greatest and where people most want to listen to the Gospel. The European Continent, of course, is where our faith in its evangelical form was born—where it first found a home in Rome during Constantine’s time as the holy catholic church for all Christians, and then in Germany in the 16th Century, where Martin Luther ignited the Protestant Reformation.

Thus Continental Europe might seem to be a curious choice of a place to launch a mass evangelizing mission, but Europe today, of course, has essentially become a secular society hungering for a spiritual past which it has largely lost, and does not quite know how to regain. This is a place where we, the Christians of North America and Australia, can make such an integral contribution in a Great Re-Awakening that will be nothing less than historic in its scope and impact. The torch of the Christian faith that was initiated in Europe was carried to North America and continues to burn strong here; we, in turn, therefore have a special historical opportunity here, to help bring the faith back to the land which had given it to us in the first place, but in which it has now waned.

The headquarters for this fledgling Great Re-Awakening in Continental Europe is Germany, particularly northern Germany. I have been there on several occasions, and there is already a stirring interest in connecting to the creed that began in Germany itself so many centuries ago when Martin Luther ignited the Reformation, more than anywhere else. I would also include France, Austria, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, Portugal, Spain, Greece and Italy as countries that I have found to be hearteningly receptive to such a re-awakening, and where we could accomplish something truly historic here—and in this I include both Catholic, Protestant, Mormon, and even Armenian and Orthodox denominations as messengers of the Gospel. I am not here to encourage any sort of sectarian divide or competition—our common issue in Europe is the secularism and the weak but gradually more receptive audience for preaching the Gospel in general, and our collaborative efforts will be symbiotic, even if we differ on details. Thus far, I have not found either the Netherlands or the United Kingdom to be very receptive to such a possible missionary effort and therefore at this time, they are probably not fruitful destinations for our labors.

I want to emphasize that this is a very special and unusual type of missionary effort. It would not have central coordination, but would be a collaborative, yet independent effort of many individuals from many churches and denominations—I am merely, I hope, planting the seed.

Moreover, such a missionary effort to help facilitate a Christian Great Re-Awakening in Europe, would not be a matter of briefly preaching and returning home. To accomplish our historic objectives, we will need an effort far more sustained and dedicated. We need more than cosmetic changes to existing ecclesiastical organizations on the Continent—to bring the Word to a group of people, for many of us our own ethnic kinsmen, who are seeking to re-connect with it, we need to rebuild the Church from the ground up. We must initiate our own churches and religious organizations in Germany, France, Italy and elsewhere as members of those countries ourselves, open them to the public, then provide examples from our own lives and our faith, hope and charity to bring the Message back to our kinsmen across the Atlantic Ocean. We must, in other words, fully integrate ourselves into the fabrics of the societies in Europe, as citizens there ourselves.

Therefore, the bearers of the Good News to Europe, seeking to re-ignite the ancient flame of Christian belief in the countries above, will have to emigrate from the USA and permanently resettle, with their families, in their new adopted nations in Europe. Those of you who choose to take up this historic mantle will become citizens of your new lands, along with your spouses and children, and raise them there. I recognize that this is no minor life adjustment for people. It would take an especially dedicated, focused, and capable collection of individuals to embark on such a pivotal mission, but it is in fact the only way that we can accomplish this great and very necessary effort.

Those of you who do take up the call for this crucial mission will be accomplishing something not only historic, but you will be the central leaders in perhaps the most important advance for our faith since the spread of Christianity to the Western Hemisphere. You should take great pride in what you are doing, and you will earn the well-deserved praise and gratitude of Christians worldwide and particularly in Europe, who will once again be connecting to their religious and intellectual home. You will be acting in the great tradition of pioneers, and naturally, once you have initiated this effort, you will smooth the path for others to follow in your footsteps, in much greater numbers.

Some practical aspects to consider:

1. Again, keep in mind that this very special and unique effort involves helping to rebuild the church communities in these countries from the grass roots, and that means actually immigrating to Germany and other European countries ourselves. Just as our ancestors left Europe to resettle in North America to spread their faith, so would we be leaving North America to resettle in Europe, permanently. We would be living in our adopted countries and taking citizenship there, becoming Germans, French, Italians, Spaniards, Portuguese, Austrians and Belgians, and raising our children as such. Those of you who are Americans would still retain many American privileges, could return periodically to visit family here, vote in US elections and of course retain your US passport in many cases. However, you will be joining your new countries as integral members of their societies.

In practical terms, this means that you will have to deal with the specific legal and social systems that each of these countries has in place to handle immigration and naturalization. In Germany, for example—probably the most important nation for this mission with the greatest potential—immigration laws are written to selectively give settlement and citizenship rights to immigrants with occupational skills, which can include both manual professions such as electricians, craftsmen, plumbers, painters, metallurgists and woodworkers, as well as engineers, computer scientists, nurses, scientists, physicians, and also lawyers, teachers and accountants. Farmers with skills are welcome in Germany’s rural regions, and people with experience in areas such as manufacturing and high-technology fields are given fast tracks to citizenship. Skilled workers in general have their immigration applications expedited and have an easy time settling down in Germany (as well as in Austria, France, Italy and Belgium), and entrepreneurs who plan on starting a business, in particular, are given top priority in obtaining work permits in Germany.

2. Germany and many of the other countries mentioned above also have a “ius sanguinis” principle to supplement their general “ius solis” immigration stream. The latter legal principle means that those with years of lawful residence and economic contributions to the country obtain citizenship rights regardless of their ethnicity, while the former principle, ius solis, provides a special category for fast-track citizenship for those with German or other Germanic ancestry at least in part. In the United States and Canada, of course, there are over 150 million people with German, Scandinavian, Anglo-Saxon, Dutch, Swiss, Austrian or other Germanic ancestry (Volga Germans, Italian Lombards, French Norman or Frankish, for example), who therefore can have their efforts at gaining citizenship facilitated, speeding the process of immigration there. Naturally, anyone can gain citizenship through ius solis principles, but those with ethnic German or Germanic ancestry have additional means to win citizenship there.

3. Germany and all of the other countries noted above also give strong preference to immigrants who have families or are planning to have them sometime soon. Thus, such a focus on the Christian family is integral not only to our new ministries in Europe, but also in regard to the practical issues of immigrating there in the first place.

4. This leads to perhaps the most important point here: You must, unequivocally, master the language or languages of your host country if you hope to have a successful mission there. German, French, Italian, Dutch or another relevant language must become the first language for you, your spouse and your children, and it must be the language in which you conduct both your ministry and your own daily business.

I cannot emphasize this enough. One of the most common blunders of otherwise eager and hard-working missionaries is to fail to appreciate the need to learn and communicate in the native language, on a fluent basis. In Africa, for example, many of the countries have a European language such as French, English, Portuguese or Spanish as one of their official languages for communication, and many citizens of these countries do speak these languages. However, the core individuals in African nations generally speak tribal languages as their native tongues and as the ones in which they conduct their daily business. These are the languages of their emotional experience and the ones in which they think and dream, and thus, only those missionaries who made sure to master the local tongue enjoyed success.

This is obviously easier for those of us who minister in Europe, since the languages on the Continent are similar enough to English and Spanish that they are easy to learn. However, we must learn and communicate in these languages at the highest levels, and in fact, we must adopt them as our own standards of communication, for us and our families. Many people in southern Italy, for example, speak French or English, but only a ministry in fluent Italian can reach people at their emotional core. Likewise, in the Tirol region in northern Italy, German is more of a native language than Italian, and missionaries in that region should therefore adopt the German tongue as their own and to conduct their ministries in it. Both French and Dutch are used in different regions in Belgium, and in France, although French predominates, Breton is important in some seaside enclaves. (Irish Gaelic is of great emotional importance to people in Ireland, and a ministry in this language would be of great appeal to the people.)

In other words, you must tailor your ministry to local conditions and culture, and immerse yourself in that culture. Naturally, you should work to learn as much of the language as you can before leaving to go abroad. This can be accomplished through formal courses, language sessions with your church missionary groups, tapes and books and/or DVD’s and software (just about any major or minor brand at a bookstore or library is fine), and simple practice with native speakers, whether in the US or abroad. Total mastery of the local language is absolutely crucial for successful missionary work, and to fully immerse yourself into the societies into which you will be spreading the Gospel, you should adopt that language and the local culture for yourself and your children.

5. Emphasize positive, productive and ecumenical aspects of our faith as much as possible to your new flocks. Be inclusive with your teachings, and while you are of course inculcating your congregation into the great traditions and history of our faith, you should make your ministry relevant by tailoring your sermons and your announcements to a degree in line with the conditions of your community.

6. In your new ministries, your first congregants may well be other Americans, Canadians or Australians drawn to your adopted nation—this can help to seed the new churches in Europe and provide an early, sustained congregation to draw in new members from the native societies themselves. Again, make sure to conduct your services in the local language and be cognizant of local traditions.

7. Finally, befriend and work with local authorities both in establishing ministries and in obtaining work yourselves in your new countries. You should emphasize, as much as possible, that your efforts will be a benefit in every way for your new nations—from a social, religious and economic perspective—and not a disruptive factor. Naturally, it can also be very helpful to obtain suggestions from local religious authorities and contribute to their own efforts in addition to initiating your own, so as to reinforce the religious community in general and make it more tightly-knit.

BrotherMichael

Nov 14, 2006
✟7,872.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It can take many years for even the most dedicated missionary to successfully resettle, and we anticipate that the first prospective missionaries who are reading this message would likely not begin to immigrate until the autumn of 2009, at the earliest. The practical matters of finding residence in a European country, organizing for the move, conforming with the host countries’ immigration laws, mastering languages and ensuring employment would take at least that long.

However, my fellow missionaries and I, in expressing the need for this great effort, want to emphasize that we are thinking big here. Our slogan has been, “2 and one-half by 15”: hoping to have 2.5 million missionaries and new congregants from North America and Australia to Europe by 2015, with numbers growing steadily thereafter. Whether or not this objective is attained, we hope that it provides a focusing lens to encourage active efforts to accomplish this mission. In bringing the Gospel from North America and Australia, where it remains strong, back to the countries from which it originated, where it has become weak, we will be fulfilling one of our most important duties as evangelical Christians and as emissaries of the Word.

It is my utmost hope that many of you, reading my entreaty here, will take up this task yourselves, and communicate it further to your own flocks and to other congregations, while encouraging them to spread it further still. We can accomplish something magnificent here if we act in concert, as invigorated messengers in large numbers, to bring the Gospel back to one of its most important homes.

Yours in Christ,

Brother Michael

Upvote 0

paulabunyan

Nov 20, 2006
✟7,651.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Dear Brother Michael, I'm thrilled to hear about this.

In fact, I'll be moving with my husband and children to Dusseldorf, a beautiful city in northern Germany, within a couple years.

Our original reasons were more practical than idealistic-- my husband speaks German, and his company is now in close collaboration with a German partner for business in Eastern Europe-- but we have been thinking a lot about the ways to not only continue to raise our children in the Christian faith there, but also to spread the Gospel to those around us and thus turn it into a missionary opportunity.

I was initially anxious when I heard my husband would be moving to Dusseldorf, for basic logistical reasons as well as those related to the church. We had worried about the supposed secular atmosphere in the cities, and wondered if we would be frowned upon. But I have been very pleasantly surprised in all my trips to Dusseldorf and other German cities.

The German people are amazingly polite and friendly, reminiscent of the warmth and kindness we have felt when visiting some Midwestern German-American communities in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa for example where you still hear German in the bakeries and cafes, and the cities have German names. Also, they really do have a spiritual hunger there in Germany and have been extremely welcoming to us, I agree entirely. Many in fact have distant relatives in the US and pine for the opportunity to once again be inspired by the faith that their relatives still maintain in America. All in all, thus far we have been made to feel very welcome in our soon-to-be new home, and I look forward to the opportunity to spread the Gospel as well.

We were indeed a bit anxious about the language and work issues there, as my husband speaks decent German while the rest of us, our German originally consisted of whatever we could learn from Volkswagen commercials. But we started with a German language CD on the computer at home, then attended some German immersion classes, watched some German films, then eventually began to participate in some German-American community clubs back home in Kentucky-- which was very educational and great fun! Both I and the kids became fluent much faster than we expected. It's not that hard a language to learn despite the assumptions about it, the vocabulary is easy to pick up and the grammar comes easy with some practice.

My husband is an engineer by training and this definitely does smooth the immigration process a lot, also the fact that we have children whom we hope to raise as German citizens, and it does help a bit to have German ancestry but it's not essential. My husband is only 1/8 German, mostly Norwegian, Dutch and English-- while I am from Scotch/Irish, French Huguenot and Dutch stock. But we still had no problem getting approval to immigrate there and work toward German citizenship, provided that we were willing to commit to working and raising our children there in Dusseldorf. They're refreshingly open to Americans, Canadians and Australians immigrating there, provided that we learn German with reasonable speed and want to work or start a business.

Anyway, it's great news that there are already so many people planning their own ministries in Germany and elsewhere on the Europe Continent. Hopefully, we can start to build a network that would make it easier for other interested parties to take the first step themselves and join in. :wave: What a wonderful blessing this would be!

Anyone else interested here or also planning to move to Europe, even if for reasons initially unrelated to ministry, please post here or on other Christian message boards. This is exciting and heartening-- I agree with Brother Michael's comments, we really could be helping to make history here! Thanks and God Bless.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

brickXbrick

Nov 22, 2006
in the good old USA
✟7,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Bless your heart, Brother Michael, for doing God's work for so long. I myself have not done much missionary work overseas for well over twenty years now, but your post has given me food for thought.

God Bless ~ Ty

• Prayers
Upvote 0

SaulBecomePaul

Nov 26, 2006
✟15,122.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
God Bless You Brother Michael, I'm happy to report that your prayers are already being answered! Years ago my youth group took a short mission trip to Europe and we tarried for a while in Gelsenkirchen, a pleasant little ex-industrial city that is now a high-tech center. It was such a magical place with evidence of its Christian heritage all around-- "Kirchen" is German for "churches"-- that we couldn't help but embrace and sort of adopt :D that little town for ourselves.

Turns out that the Gelsenkircheners (I think that's what the German residents of that town call themselves ;)) have been hoping to restart their ministries there for a while, and lo and behold, two of my old friends who were also on that trip, got married and have permanently emigrated to Gelsenkirchen themselves, with a little boy in tow-- to help the Gelsenkircheners do just that! The husband is an electrical engineer by training, and after he had become fluent in German he easily found a job in one of the solar panel manufacturing and research companies there in the city. (He was apparently self-taught! He was bar none the genius of the group.)

So the ministry is already starting again in that land, and we're helping to make it happen! Lots of independent missionaries, focused on the same grand objective.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

BereanTodd

Missionary Heart
Nov 26, 2006
Houston, Tx
✟11,542.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I felt the call to European missions a few years ago, though I am currently working through seminary, and will be getting my doctorate before heading overseas. Although I do want to be involved in church planting, my primary ministry goal is to train up native pastors (Italy, Germany, Russia, wherever God may lead me) to be able to minister to and reach their own people more effectively.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Karelin9

Dec 14, 2006
✟7,765.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I definitely think both arms are important, both the training and encouragement of native pastors as well as small groups of Americans emigrating to little towns in Germany or Austria e.g., to help plant roots anew. In a sense, I see this as an interesting variation on what our own ministries did in the past. I remember learning in a religion class years ago that Lutherans from Germany founded many of the US's first and most important ministries even before the American Revolution, not only by encouraging US-born ministers but themselves immigrating here and bringing their ideas (and better-established church organization) to North America.

This looks like a similar sort of idea, just in reverse 300 years later-- with Americans from the now more robust and well-organized and healthier churches in the USA, immigrating to Germany themselves and becoming citizens there to help implant (in this case, re-implant) the Church on the Continent in Europe, where it's fading though sounds like gradually making a resurgence.

I agree that Germany, Austria are becoming quite receptive to this, though I'd also make a plug for Strasbourg and some of the other cities in northern (often ex-Huguenot) France. There's been a latent desire to re-establish links with this region's Christian past especially up in Normandy and Alsace-Lorraine, though I wouldn't rule out the rest of France either if you have decent French in your portfolio. Even northern Italy, to my surprise, is moving in this direction. We made a tour throughout much of the Continent a few years back and I admit that I know more about northern/northeastern France than the rest of the landmass, but you can definitely feel something special in the air (and in the pews) in north Italy as well-- and definitely in Austria and Germany, no doubt about it.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Karelin9

Dec 14, 2006
✟7,765.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Also, for those of you with a Francophone bent, I'd recommend considering Bourges, a gorgeous city in the central region of France on the river Yevre, with wonderful opportunities for both ministry and entrepreneurship.

"La ville des eglises" has a unique history as a Huguenot city but has a strong Catholic tradition as well, so ministers from both branches of our faith are welcome there. And it is a growing center for those interested in starting businesses, easing the path toward self-sufficiency.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

jada

Dec 22, 2006
✟7,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hi Michael,

For better or worse, I am going to Ireland. I have no formal missions training, and if you had asked me six months ago if I would ever work missions in Eurpoe, I would have asked how long you had been smoking crack.

However, through a short progression of events (over two years and counting), I have been stripped, shorn, washed and immersed in the Word. I can't say that I have the Bible down pat, but it is an easy read for me. A little too easy perhaps, but the people I have praying for me and that I check in with seem to think that I am doing fine with dicernment...I just haven't commited it to memory yet.

A friend asked me formally to move overseas and help her establish a worship community. Not a commune - more in alignment with L'Abri...we will be contacting them to see if we might work with them...but we are innexperienced (make that NO EXPERIENCE) and not sure what we are doing. Any suggestions here?

So - I am shooting in the dark here, but I wanted to let you know that God is calling people to Europe. And for better or worse, I am one of them. Any advice I can get to that end is welcome.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Karelin9

Dec 14, 2006
✟7,765.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Im going to Europe as a missionary this year, not sure where JUST YET... will know in a little while, but Ive decided already that Im going... :) Im very happy and I hope God will use me.
Sounds wonderful g85! Please keep us updated, in fact if you feel so inclined, maybe you could even keep a little journal when you're there, post highlights on this thread. :)

"not sure where JUST YET"

That's the hardest part, but I've always seen this as a happy dilemma, sort of like choosing between a banana split and chocolate mousse-- those countries are so rich in so many ways.

For me and my own friends, France and Belgium beckoned in large part because we could sort of "parler Francais" to a good enough degree so as to participate in missions especially in northeastern France where there's an especially receptive audience at least in our experience.

Though I have also heard very good things about Germany for those who've gone there, both as a land eager to hear the Gospel and as a wonderful place to preach and even move to for those so inclined.

If you stay in Germany or France and seek employment, you have to work hard and be productive during the day but the working conditions are IMHO much more humane than in the US-- you're not pushed into 7-day weeks as in so much of the USA these days, plus you get 6 weeks of vacation which you'd never get here, and the Euro is becoming such a valuable currency that what you earn goes farther than it does in the US. So you have more time to work on your mission efforts.

In my own extended stay in France, I got a part-time job helping to ship, park and maintain bicycles-- Europe really is a cyclist's paradise!-- and got surprisingly decent pay with vacation, and with the exchange rate shifts and the dollar decline, I was able to use some savings from this little stint to help pay for a later trip backpacking in the Andes!

(Although I'm partial to le francais, from what I've heard, German isn't all that tough a language to learn. Its reputation is needlessly intimidating and those who move there pick it up fast!)

• Prayers
Upvote 0

BlueRose

Mar 14, 2004
✟443.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I am initially doing a short term trip to France--a little over three months--to see what role mission work plays in my future. I am SO excited.

I leave for Paris in 3 weeks. I just pray to begin developing a solid relationship with even one person while I am there, so I can continue that relationship through email, messenger, and so on. The internet is a blessing and provides such a great way to stay in touch.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
I am initially doing a short term trip to France--a little over three months--to see what role mission work plays in my future. I am SO excited.

I leave for Paris in 3 weeks. I just pray to begin developing a solid relationship with even one person while I am there, so I can continue that relationship through email, messenger, and so on. The internet is a blessing and provides such a great way to stay in touch.
God bless you!!! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jada

Dec 22, 2006
✟7,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

I posted earlier, but I am looking for some hand -holding here...

I have no idea what the "ABC's" of missionary work entiail - but I know without a doubt that what you are describing (...the role of a missionary in Europe) is exactly the same thing God has been telling me about too. He also told me that the mission work will not be centralized, but will be a loose network of like minded individuals. Not "cells", as that has terrorist connotations, but that we would know of and support each other in the spirit of love, wisedom and obedience.

My own congregation does not support broad-based international missions.

When a friend of mine, who is much more prepared than I, asked to receive leadership regarding his calling to Indonesia, he was not given a straight answer. A humble, well liked and respected man in our congregation: he waited. But when the leadership showed no interest, he went and found an outside group to lend structure to his pursuit...when he asked if it would be OK to speak to our congregation about the necessity for supporting foreign missions work, or at least to do some presentations about his calling (during off church hours) to help with fundraising, he was told "no".

This was discouraging news to me. I am not looking for their money, but I am perplexed at why we have a call to do missions work (from our own pulpit no less) but run into a brick wall when we say "Here I am!"

I looked online at the national denomination website, and found that they have broad support for missions in Africa, Mexico (Latin America) and India, but nowhere near Europe. I emailed, hoping to find some information and start a diolouge, but after several tries have not received a response.

Am I doing something wrong here? It is hard for me to beleive that I am the first person to think of doing missions in Europe (sarcasm)... I can't tell if this is apathy I am running into, erasure, or - more likely- that I am barking up the wrong tree.

Please give me advice here. Conversation with a human being, email addresses, websites, names of people you think I could talk to, instruction on protocol ... any suggestions?

Regardless, God made it clear that I am going to Ireland, "prepared" or not.

Upvote 0
I'm going through my church (Seventh Day Advenstist Church)... isnt your church a world wide organizasion? If it it... then you should try to contact people through the inet. See the listed position and apply.

I would tell you about how it works in the SDA church... but to go as a missionary through the SDA church you need to be a baptized member for like 2 years I think. If you want to look anyway at how our mission programs work you can look at this web site:

http://www.adventistvolunteers.org/

hope I could help a teeny bit at least,

God bless

Upvote 0

jada

Dec 22, 2006
✟7,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for the response!

I belong to the Evangelical Covenant, which technically does have an international standing, but I remain confused as to the organization of the higher administration...but you point me in a good direction.
I have been a member fo the Covenant since 1992. So, I think I have the credits in that regards...

Thank you for the link to your church. I will check it out. I expect that I can find more clues there :)

• Prayers
Upvote 0

BlueRose

Mar 14, 2004
✟443.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Jada, there are many mission organizations that are doing work in Europe. A search on google would probably bring up many. I am working with Greater Europe Mission--which as you can tell, is focused only on Europe. I went to orientation with a girl who is currently serving in Ireland, through GEM. I'd encourage you to check them out! :) Otherwise yes, there are many missionaries who serve through many different groups in Europe. GEM, and I'm sure others, has a short term program of 3 months - 1 year, if you were looking to just "get your feet wet."
http://www.gemission.org/

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Karelin9

Dec 14, 2006
✟7,765.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for the tip on GEM BlueRose, I checked out the site and this sounds like exactly what we need-- a well-organized and dedicated group with a solid focus on high-quality missionary work. And one which helps to coordinate the practical as well as missionary aspects for participants.

One of my old friends from school got involved in something similar in Austria, with a sponsoring organization that smoothed the path in every respect: Getting the visas to live and work in Austria for the needed time, coordinating the domestic and Austrian churches' efforts, securing funding, providing German language lessons and even procuring the flight tickets and working through the details of housing. It made things MUCH easier for everyone, since the church members could focus on mission work rather than being bogged down in the logistics. (In fact, a couple members of his church who joined in on that effort have decided to stay on and now live in the country, one in Graz and the other in Salzburg, Mozart's home.)

I've heard through the grapevine of analogous organizations elsewhere that help particularly with the funding, e.g. German missionary efforts supported by contributions from German-American Christian groups. Happily, this sort of thing is also self-sustaining, since many Americans on these trips who wind up moving to Europe, often then turn later to become sponsors of similar efforts later. (An American emigrant to Germany for example was one of the sponsors of missionary work in Germany in my friend's church.) My own work in France was assisted in part by a group in Maine consisting in part of French-American Christians who had themselves taken interest in such a revival in their ancestral land. So I sense there's a latent network of assistance here for this sort of effort.

• Prayers
Upvote 0