Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That depends do you want your son to do the right things in life because he knows they are the right things or because he is afraid he will get into trouble? Which of those options is likely to make him the man you want him to be?
How does a person know what is right, unless they know the consequences of their actions?

The problem is not fearing bad consequences. The problem is knowing what is wrong and doing it anyway because of thinking not to get caught. Talking about consequences helps to clear out self-deception, because it brings it to mind. Therefore, fear of consequences is helpful, not harmful. Yet, one must do it with grace, or the stronghold may get stronger.
TD:)

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
What I keep saying is - what you saw was probably not the first time.

Indeed. Highly unlikely this is a first time or even something new.

He must be incredibly confident he can go to such extents without being caught which begs the question as to whether or not there's more to it.

I can only speak for myself, but if anyone was touching me in my sleep, I'd wake up, especially two places simultaneously that happen to be incredibly sensitive.

I'd confront them both at the same time and observe their reactions when they hear it. It will be quite apparent if it isn't news to her and, frankly, if it is news to her and she gets angry then he deserves to see the consequences for his actions. He needs to see the raw emotional affect physical and sexual abuse has on someone. Shielding him from this will not do him any good.

Counselling is a given too.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How does a person know what is right, unless they know the consequences of their actions?

The problem is not fearing bad consequences. The problem is knowing what is wrong and doing it anyway because of thinking not to get caught. Talking about consequences helps to clear out self-deception, because it brings it to mind. Therefore, fear of consequences is helpful, not harmful. Yet, one must do it with grace, or the stronghold may get stronger.
God in the natural law tells us that we know what is right, His Scripture also tells us what is right. Is there any doubt in your mind that the young man knew what he was doing was wrong? If a person does what is right only out of fear, they will soon find a way to overcome that fear. It is necessary of building a foundation of what is right and why it is right if we expect people to be self governing.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
God in the natural law tells us that we know what is right, His Scripture also tells us what is right. Is there any doubt in your mind that the young man knew what he was doing was wrong? If a person does what is right only out of fear, they will soon find a way to overcome that fear. It is necessary of building a foundation of what is right and why it is right if we expect people to be self governing.
There was no doubt, since I already said so earlier - he knew what he was doing was morally wrong, since he quickly abandoned it when his father came in.

But my point is because of the sinful nature, people tend to deceive themselves into thinking they can get away with wrongdoing if they don't get caught. That deception gets all the stronger if they don't have consequence of the sin in the forefront of their mind.

So since we cannot determine if the boy has the Spirit speaking to his conscience or not (we can't judge whether a person is born again or not), there can at least be a fear motivation for resisting temptation. And if not fear of God, then at least fear of legal repercussions.

If you can remember a time before you were converted, did you commit crimes? Did you experience the fear of legal consequences? It seems to me that if a person is unconverted, they may be emboldened to commit crimes if they don't have a threat of legal consequence in front of them. At least this is my experience.

And Paul wrote in 1 Tim. 1:9-10 "Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, for whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine."

So why shouldn't a father communicate all the truth to his son, including the legal as well as moral right and wrong of actions?

Upvote 0