Please Give Your Opinions on My Origins Viewpoints

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You need to learn some science. C14 found in coal is formed by radioactive elements, like uranium, in the surrounding rock . It’s not C14 taken in by the organisms while they were alive. That only lasts for 50,000 years . C14 in dinosaurs is from contamination . Dinosaurs are too old at 65 million years for this to be original C14 .
You can do the numbers yourself
Year 1 ———100%————-
1st halflife—50% ——-1/2
2nd————-25%———-1/4
3rd———-12.5%——-1/8
4th————6.25%———1/16
5th———-3.125%————1/32
etc etc etc
As you can see there’s very little left after 5 half-lives. The half life of C14 is about 5,730 years . If you start with a ton of pure C14 which is 2000 pounds, you end up with about 63 pounds after about 29,000 years ( I rounded the numbers to make it easier to read ) .
A 65,000,000 year old dinosaur fossil would have no original C14 left as living organisms aren’t made of pure C14 . And most dinosaurs fossils are older than that. And most coal is even older forming long before dinosaurs existed

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Evolutionists also like to try and redefine "faith" as "believing without evidence". This sort of message is strongly propagandized in society. But it is the opposite of true.

We have faith based on evidence. Consider James pointing out that the demons know God exists, and he calls that "faith without deeds which is dead".

John 20:26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them. Jesus cometh, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said: Peace be to you. [27] Then he saith to Thomas: Put in thy finger hither, and see my hands; and bring hither thy hand, and put it into my side; and be not faithless, but believing. [28] Thomas answered, and said to him: My Lord, and my God. [29] Jesus saith to him: Because thou hast seen me, Thomas, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and have believed.

I think Jesus has it right.

There are reasonable arguments for God, but we do not depend on them or on evidence. God could make Himself unambigously evident. He chooses not to do so. I believe this is because free will is important to Him, that each of us willingly comes to Him. If he were to spell out "God, here" by rearranging the stars tomorrow night, who would then deny Him?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You still need to get around biomaterial...as well as C14 found in coal.

Coal is biomaterial. And C14, being produced from nitrogen by ionizing radiation, would be expected coal, which normally has both present.

At issue is coal's content of uranium and thorium, both radioactive elements. They occur in such trace amounts in natural, or "whole," coal that they aren't a problem. But when coal is burned into fly ash, uranium and thorium are concentrated at up to 10 times their original levels.
Coal Ash Is More Radioactive Than Nuclear Waste

Of course, it doesn't happen much. Usually, C14 in coal is near the lower limits of our ability to detect it. But it does happen. And since coal is really old, it is much older than the half-life of C14.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
An offer to evolutionist: I haven't done this for a while. Like to have an exercise about it? What is your best evidence?

The fact that it's observed to occur daily in populations around us. Usually it seems that people who think that they hated evolution, really don't know what it is. Often, they confuse agencies of evolution, like natural selection and genetic drift, or consequences of evolution like common descent, with the real thing.

So just to get you started right, what do you think the scientific definition of biological evolution is?

Then we can go on to work with the details. What do you think?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't believe nor disbelieve the scientific findings. My motives here are I have extraordinary pressure to be right. When I am incorrect in my beliefs, I get slammed hard. I have had this happen multiple times before, and for whatever reason, God made me pay a deep price.

Good news, then. He doesn't care if you approve or not. He doesn't judge you on your opinion of evolution.

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You need to learn some science. C14 found in coal is formed by radioactive elements, like uranium, in the surrounding rock . It’s not C14 taken in by the organisms while they were alive. That only lasts for 50,000 years . C14 in dinosaurs is from contamination . Dinosaurs are too old at 65 million years for this to be original C14 .
You can do the numbers yourself
Year 1 ———100%————-
1st halflife—50% ——-1/2
2nd————-25%———-1/4
3rd———-12.5%——-1/8
4th————6.25%———1/16
5th———-3.125%————1/32
etc etc etc
As you can see there’s very little left after 5 half-lives. The half life of C14 is about 5,730 years . If you start with a ton of pure C14 which is 2000 pounds, you end up with about 63 pounds after about 29,000 years ( I rounded the numbers to make it easier to read ) .
A 65,000,000 year old dinosaur fossil would have no original C14 left as living organisms aren’t made of pure C14 . And most dinosaurs fossils are older than that. And most coal is even older forming long before dinosaurs existed

That fails...as there isn't enough parent isotope to form the amount of C in the vicinity. Would you like to try another excuse?

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Coal is biomaterial. And C14, being produced from nitrogen by ionizing radiation, would be expected coal, which normally has both present.

At issue is coal's content of uranium and thorium, both radioactive elements. They occur in such trace amounts in natural, or "whole," coal that they aren't a problem. But when coal is burned into fly ash, uranium and thorium are concentrated at up to 10 times their original levels.
Coal Ash Is More Radioactive Than Nuclear Waste

Of course, it doesn't happen much. Usually, C14 in coal is near the lower limits of our ability to detect it. But it does happen. And since coal is really old, it is much older than the half-life of C14.

It doesn't matter if coal releases radiation when it's burned....the issue is the C..and there not being enough parent isotope to form the C.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It doesn't matter if coal releases radiation when it's burned....the issue is the C..and there not being enough parent isotope to form the C.

You think there's no nitrogen in coal? Seriously?

The nitrogen content in coal varies with rank reaching a maximum at approximately 85 wt% carbon content d.m.m.f. (1). This nitrogen is present virtually exclusively as organic nitrogen and typical nitrogen contents vary from 0.7 to 2.0 wt%. The predominant forms of nitrogen functionality present in coal are pyrrolic and pyridinic, the pyridinic functionality increasing with increasing rank (2,3).
Nitrogen Content - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You think there's no nitrogen in coal? Seriously?

The nitrogen content in coal varies with rank reaching a maximum at approximately 85 wt% carbon content d.m.m.f. (1). This nitrogen is present virtually exclusively as organic nitrogen and typical nitrogen contents vary from 0.7 to 2.0 wt%. The predominant forms of nitrogen functionality present in coal are pyrrolic and pyridinic, the pyridinic functionality increasing with increasing rank (2,3).
Nitrogen Content - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

Your problem is ionizing the nitrogen.The reason there is C14 in the coal is because it use to be a tree app. 4000 years ago

• Optimistic
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Your problem is ionizing the nitrogen.

That would require ionizing radiation, wouldn't it?

Coal is largely composed of organic matter, but it is the inorganic matter in coal—minerals and trace elements— that have been cited as possible causes of health, environmental, and technological problems associated with the use of coal. Some trace elements in coal are naturally radioactive. These radioactive elements include uranium (U), thorium (Th), and their numerous decay products, including radium (Ra) and radon (Rn).
Radioactive Elements in Coal and Fly Ash, USGS Factsheet 163-97

Imagine that.

The reason there is C14 in the coal is because it use to be a tree app. 4000 years ago

There is very young coal out there. It's called "peat." First stage of coal formation, followed by lignite, bituminous, and anthracite. Not surprisingly, we see organic material in peat with C14 dates in the thousands of years, not just tiny amounts formed by radiation.

Would you like to learn about that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That would require ionizing radiation, wouldn't it?

Coal is largely composed of organic matter, but it is the inorganic matter in coal—minerals and trace elements— that have been cited as possible causes of health, environmental, and technological problems associated with the use of coal. Some trace elements in coal are naturally radioactive. These radioactive elements include uranium (U), thorium (Th), and their numerous decay products, including radium (Ra) and radon (Rn).
Radioactive Elements in Coal and Fly Ash, USGS Factsheet 163-97

Imagine that.

There is very young coal out there. It's called "peat." First stage of coal formation, followed by lignite, bituminous, and anthracite. Not surprisingly, we see organic material in peat with C14 dates in the thousands of years, not just tiny amounts formed by radiation.

Would you like to learn about that?

Now your on some sort of tangent....we're talking Carbon dating

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Now your on some sort of tangent....we're talking Carbon dating

Yep. And as you just learned, Carbon-14 is formed by ionizing radiation on nitrogen. Which means for C14 to form in coal, there must be nitrogen and ionizing radiation.

And as you also learned, those are present in coal. Mystery solved.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yep. And as you just learned, Carbon-14 is formed by ionizing radiation on nitrogen. Which means for C14 to form in coal, there must be nitrogen and ionizing radiation.

And as you also learned, those are present in coal. Mystery solved.

There's not enough to account for the amount of C14....problem re-loaded.

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There's not enough to account for the amount of C14....problem re-loaded.

So let's test your assumption. How much C14 do you think is in coal?

When we get your number, let's see if there's enough nitrogen to produce it.

Good luck. (prediction: we won't get that number; I'll include one from the data just in case)

Oh, and C14 also occasionally is produced by cluster decay of radium and radon (both of which are found in coal). Be sure to include that source.

The "original" concentration is one C14 per trillion carbon atoms. The amount found in coal is typically less than 1/240th of that. Show us that the concentration of nitrogen is less than that.

This might be interesting...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So let's test your assumption. How much C14 do you think is in coal?

When we get your number, let's see if there's enough nitrogen to produce it.

Good luck. (prediction: we won't get that number; I'll include one from the data just in case)

Oh, and C14 also occasionally is produced by cluster decay of radium and radon (both of which are found in coal). Be sure to include that source.

The "original" concentration is one C14 per trillion carbon atoms. The amount found in coal is typically less than 1/240th of that. Show us that the concentration of nitrogen is less than that.

This might be interesting...

You keep on bouncing around the issue. Nitrogen isn't the issue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟367,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You keep on bouncing around the issue.

As you now realize, the tiny amount of C14 in coal can easily be accounted for by physical processes and materials known to exist in coal.

Nitrogen isn't the issue.

It is. You see, if there was no nitrogen in coal, C14 could not be generated in it, even though the necessary ionizing radiation is there. Well, actually, an extremely tiny amount of C14 would be generated by breakdown of radon and radium (also documented to exist in coal), but it wouldn't be as much as we see being generated from ionization of nitrogen.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just in case you didn’t get it a picture is worth a 1000 words
F4B143D6-CF32-4C52-ADAC-63D14B7AE511.png
Nitrogen forms Carbon 14 by gaining a neutron and losing a proton . The energy to do this is coming from radioactive material . Nitrogen IS the issue!

Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The C14 is formed from nitrogen . The nitrogen is in the dead plants that make up coal, as amino acids and proteins . Radiation energy causes neutrons to slam into the nucleus which also knocks off a proton . That makes C14. In the atmosphere it forms continually. Living organisms breathe in the C14 and they ingest it with food . After they’re dead they no longer take it in and the radiodating clock starts ticking . Long dead organisms of way over 50 thousand years have none of that ingested C14 left. Fossil organisms older than that, get C14 from contamination by the environment.

Upvote 0