Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have plants on the porch which require full sunlight. Because of the current position of the sun, and the overhang of my roof, some of the plants are half in light, half in shade. I know that will change as the weeks go by, but out of curiosity, ideally, does all of the plant need to be in light, or will the portion of the plant in light "share" the energy received with the rest of the plant?

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,329.00
Faith
Atheist
I have plants on the porch which require full sunlight. Because of the current position of the sun, and the overhang of my roof, some of the plants are half in light, half in shade. I know that will change as the weeks go by, but out of curiosity, ideally, does all of the plant need to be in light, or will the portion of the plant in light "share" the energy received with the rest of the plant?
The carbohydrates produced by the leaves will be distributed around the plant according to requirements. Leaves in the shade will produce fewer carbohydrates. If I remember correctly, in many plants when the food production of a leaf falls to the point where it's consuming more than it's producing, its resources will be scavenged and it will wither and drop off, a similar process to autumnal leaf fall.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, all of one plant does not need direct light. Each leaf generally shades other leaves most of the time. Some plants do thrive in direct light, others prefer indirect only. Partial direct light is likely fine.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,557.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Adding to what has already been said, you might notice a change in the leaves of the plant, with leaves in the the shade becoming bigger and thinner (noticeable by a lighter shade of green). That's because they will be made out of less layers of cells.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Adding to what has already been said, you might notice a change in the leaves of the plant, with leaves in the the shade becoming bigger and thinner (noticeable by a lighter shade of green). That's because they will be made out of less layers of cells.
What I have noticed seems strange. Two of the plants are plants which flower during the day. They used to flower 360 degrees around the plant, like normal. Since they've been partially shaded, only the shaded portion flowers each day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What I have noticed seems strange. Two of the plants are plants which flower during the day. They used to flower 360 degrees around the plant, like normal. Since they've been partially shaded, only the shaded portion flowers each day.
some plants only flower in response to stress . I get my Christmas cacti to bloom by not watering them after October 20 for about a month and putting in on the floor out of the light . As soon as it sets buds I start watering again and I put back in the window

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
some plants only flower in response to stress . I get my Christmas cacti to bloom by not watering them after October 20 for about a month and putting in on the floor out of the light . As soon as it sets buds I start watering again and I put back in the window
So...you torture plants to get them to do what you want. Duly noted. :p

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So...you torture plants to get them to do what you want. Duly noted. :p
Ask anyone how to get spectacular colors with succulents . You stress them :)
8FC95A9E-39AA-4155-8D24-9B605050DD23.jpeg

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,869.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
does all of the plant need to be in light

Ideally, yes.

will the portion of the plant in light "share" the energy received with the rest of the plant?

Yes, it will do that using the phloem (Phloem - Wikipedia).

And, like @Brightmoon said, it will try to grow in such a way that it gets more light.

Also, the partial shade may affect where on the plant the flowers grow (edit: I see that you already noticed that).

• Informative
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums