Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My husband worked flight test for Boeing in the 70s and said that it is a more standard skill than thought. They have to be sure to turn toward the path of the runway as they land. Dallas Fort Worth has had a number of landings like that.

But it is cool to watch!

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
They have to be sure to turn toward the path of the runway as they land.
Yep.

Wind is often not aligned with the runway. Even if the pilot does a great job before landing correcting for prevailing wind, gusting winds at ground level may force the plane into landing at a significant angle relative to the runway. Once a pilot has committed to landing it may not be possible to power the engines back up quickly enough to abort the landing. The pilot's only choice is to make attitude corrections at touchdown, even if those corrections are severe.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave Watchman
Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
That WAS cool to watch, i watched it three times.

But it was a fluke.

She could never do that again.

Or else she, or somebody on that plane, had the Lord on their side.

:)
I've never understood how anyone can argue that something like this is a fluke.

Let me ask you this. Would you ever attempt something that you know you could only pull off 1 time in 100 if the penalty for not pulling it off is death, serious injury, or the destruction of a $330M aircraft?

The pilot could do this landing probably 19 times out of 20

• Agree
Reactions: Dave Watchman
Upvote 0

Dave Watchman

Jan 10, 2014
✟67,573.00
Faith
Christian
I've never understood how anyone can argue that something like this is a fluke.

I saw a big tractor trailer on the freeway. The slogan on the side said: "If it's on time, it's a Fluke. Fluke Transport was the name of the company. Established 1920. They have a sense of humor.

Fluke_banner_homepage7.jpg

Let me ask you this. Would you ever attempt something that you know you could only pull off 1 time in 100 if the penalty for not pulling it off is death, serious injury, or the destruction of a $330M aircraft?

I would if i was an emotional girl. Sometimes i laugh, sometimes i cry, sometimes i do both and i don't know why. I couldn't help myself. She probably lands like that all the time. I think she was probably sending a text message. :)

The pilot could do this landing probably 19 times out of 20

Your're probably right. But what if she does 100 flights a year. That would mean a failure 5 times a year.

This first clip shows what a failed attempt can look like. I'd like to hear a cabin voice recorder on that one. It looks like the same plane.

And check out the second propeller plane, filmed from behind. It lands, then goes back up into the air, fly's backwards for a bit and then aborts. The wind blows it around like a kite. I'd say just let me out of this thing. I'll take my chances with a parachute.

Enjoy.

• Informative
Reactions: NightHawkeye
Upvote 0