New calls for Congressional subpoenas over $200,000 loan to politician's family

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Citing Kentucky property records, the publication reported that Comer and his brother have engaged in land swaps related to their family farming business and that one loan was for $200,000 and involved a shell company.
Given how bad we all know loans to family and shell companies are, I'm sure there will be widespread GOP support for a Congressional investigation into these sorts of shady deals.

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Citing Kentucky property records, the publication reported that Comer and his brother have engaged in land swaps related to their family farming business and that one loan was for $200,000 and involved a shell company.
Given how bad we all know loans to family and shell companies are, I'm sure there will be widespread GOP support for a Congressional investigation into these sorts of shady deals.
There is nothing wrong (bad) with giving loans to family and/or LLCs. It's more about where the "income" came from in the first place.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There is nothing wrong (bad) with giving loans to family and/or LLCs. It's more about where the "income" came from in the first place.
Sounds like we do need investigations to find out where this money came from.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Digging deep into the financial dealings of members of the congress/senate/white house could lead to a lot of people losing their jobs...

Having said that, we're all for it, right? lol

House Reps and Senators have a higher salary, better benefits and all kinds of special donor "perks" that most Americans will never attain. The fact that so many of them (who never worked in the private sector to any significant degree before) end up with net worths that outpace that of what even your average $179k/year earner would accumulate in a matter of a decade should be raising more eyebrows than what it does.

If $179k/year, free healthcare, and all kinds of perks + a guaranteed job in the private sector once they're done isn't good enough...then toss them out and get someone else in there.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's seems like a never ending circus in the GOP/ politics world. Personally, I would rather them give the money, that's use for all the waisted investigation, to programs for our children future.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's seems like a never ending circus in the GOP/ politics world. Personally, I would rather them give the money, that's use for all the waisted investigation, to programs for our children future.
Certain principled endeavors are worth it even if it ends up costing more than just "giving them the money".

A) Because it sets up a bad incentive structure. "As long as my financial shenanigans are for a sum that's less that what it would cost to investigate it and take action" isn't a sentiment I want to reinforce with that ilk.

B) Absent a deterring factor, as more people start playing loose & fast with those rules, a bunch of smaller numbers end up turning into a big number when added up.

We've seen how the "it's cheaper and less administrative hassle just to let it slide" mentality plays out.

Does it cost a city more to make an arrest, set a court take, and use a judge's and police dept's time when someone steals a $99 pair of earbuds?... Obviously.

Does it cost the IRS more to research and audit someone who's trying to grift an extra $800 on their refund?... Obviously.

However, when that sentiment "it's cheaper to let it go" turns into policy, that's when you get the influx of bad people getting a little too comfortable with the emboldened position of "I'll do this bad thing, I'll just keep it under a certain dollar amount...and they'll let it slide"

Upvote 0