Indiana
✟962,392.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm a Methodist PK. The thing for me is that as a PK you have a window into the dark underbelly of the church through talk around the house. You know of the political battles over trivial matters, and a lot of actions, sayings, and occurrences that simply don't sound very Christian. It grows tiring.

It is easy to say, "well, I'm done with that." I tried that for awhile. Staying away from church made me realize that, as bad as it is, it is the best thing I have to nurture faith. So, I went back.

I have modified my participation which rather annoys my pastor who espouses that members should be involved in one or more groups in the church to keep them engaged. I go to worship. Period. They can have their cliques and petty political squabbles. I am disinterested. I've been involved in teaching Sunday School and served on administration committees. I have now quit all that. I go to worship. And, I go home to live out the gospel.

P.S. I also don't do pot lucks and will never eat someone else's green bean casserole as long as I live.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2010
Oklahoma
✟7,623.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I grew up a Southern Baptists pk and I hated it. I witnessed some dark things in churches and I was completely turned off from church and any part of Christianity. I became a pagan for 3 years. But if you are having issues about being turned off from church you should completely take yourself out of the pk situation and discover the bible and God on your own. Its a great experience and my only regret in life is that I waited so long to do it.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2011
✟15,189.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
JYNX

I am a Pastor and I am "turned off" by the Church and have been for years. I think many on here have hit on part of the issue the "ugly underbelly" of the politics and control behind the scenes.

I am a non-denominational Pastor and would only "Pastor" a Church again as long as the Shepherd is the leader, not all the sheep pulling the pastor around by the nose.

All the petty complaints...one cm (congregation member) told another that he was leaving the church because the Pastor was not paying enough attention to him and he was a big tither and should be recognized more. Basically saying, the Pastor was to "greet" all the big tithers first every Sunday and then give the "left over" time to those not so financially blessed...ugh! I wanted to vomit on the spot!

Then times that kind of behavior by at least 10-15 cm's in a church, all of them steam rolling their way to the front, or top, or wherever the heck it is they think they are going. (I am thinking "up" is not their direction and they will be in for a big surprize)

So PK's sick of Church, see if you can find a decent home group/ cell group to go to. Normally those are better, no one has anything to "run" there or get "recognized" for there.

Blessings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Aug 19, 2011
✟15,140.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
When I was seventeen I felt the same way you do/did. I totally abandoned the church when I was eighteen. I didn't want anything to do with it. I was so hurt.. so lonely... I felt like everyone was so hypocritical... and just so so alone. Please don't make the same mistake I did. I regret falling away from the church. I took matters into my own hands as far as trying to solve my feelings of lonliness. It actually ended up making matters worse and I am where I am today as a result of taking control instead of relinquishing control to God. I didn't fully come back to God and the church until I turned twenty-four but I was all ready in a mess. I am now twenty-eight and I still regret the years where I fell away. My life today would be so different if I would have left it in God's hands.

Upvote 0

rossignol

Feb 18, 2012
✟7,873.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I was turned off from the church partly because there was so much pressure being a PK. My Dad's job depended on his house being in order, me acting good. I was also in the job with him, always serving people with a lot of responsibility at a young age. I was never able to relax and receive the nourishment I needed.

Upvote 0