Pink Floyd: Most over-rated rock band in the history of the world?

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Don't get me wrong. I love hearing one of their songs on a classic rock station as much as any fan. But that's IT. One song, please. I can't get over the way some fans seem to think they are some great, conceptual art band. They're not. They're just a rock band. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Don't even try to tell me about their concepts and ideas. That kind of thing was impressive when I was in 4th or 5th grade. But once I became a preteen (and ever since) I've been more like, yeah, so what? A guy builds a wall, BUT... it's not a literal wall. It's a psychological wall of his own making. Oooooh, how deep. Give me a break, I'm not in grade school anymore.

You can't even dance to their music. Have you ever heard the saying, it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing. Well, that's a principal of popular music that more of these so-called "art" bands should take more seriously. No dancing. The typical image I think of someone listening to this music would be a teenager on the couch with a pair of headphones, grooving out to the band's spaced out music. Have you ever heard of getting up off of the couch and doing something useful. For once?

They wrote at least two albums devoted to their original lead singer. Who cares? It wasn't as if he was some kind of genius, but you would think he was by the way they go on and on. I think he was more like one of those people who lays on the couch all day listening to music.

Oh, and let's not forget the amazing, phenomenal way that you can't synch up their Dark Side of the Moon album with the Wizard of Oz. And there are like two places where there is a vague similarity. Ooh, how impressive.

"But you have no idea what their music means!" I can hear some fans saying to me. Yes, I do know. It means you need to get up off of the couch and do something a little more productive with your time.

Nienor

why so serious
Jun 7, 2004
Seattle
✟29,716.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
:( You have wounded me :(

I don't care about dancing to all my music, nor syncing it to crappy movies. And I don't think Syd Barret is the most amazing man ever.

But I do think their music is powerful, and it definitely speaks to me. They tried something different for that time and it worked. That's why I love them.

(But the Wall and DSotM aren't my favorite albums either. I find Meddle, WYWH, and Obscured by Clouds to be quite awesome :))

Upvote 0

justanobserver

Still Wondering...
Oct 26, 2005
✟17,559.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
:( You have wounded me :(

I don't care about dancing to all my music, nor syncing it to crappy movies. And I don't think Syd Barret is the most amazing man ever.

But I do think their music is powerful, and it definitely speaks to me. They tried something different for that time and it worked. That's why I love them.

(But the Wall and DSotM aren't my favorite albums either. I find Meddle, WYWH, and Obscured by Clouds to be quite awesome :))
what she said! Its not just the songs themselves but the era, the time, the moment, the memories, the identification with each different song they did.

Wish You Here has so much personal meaning to me but Comfortably Numb describes a lot of my youth too closely and Brain Damage takes me to a different place in my past and the list goes on. Then I listen to Eclipse and it sums up life as I know it so succinctly. The list goes on and on why this band is important to me and has a great impact.

Plus, a lot of when I listened to them I was active duty and back in those days the music kept me sane.

Very few bands ever was as varied in the styles and kinds of music as Pink Floyd. Not all of it was "traditional" rock.

Upvote 0

Tragic Paradox

über.n00b
Feb 8, 2005
Tennessee
✟9,722.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Nobody posting on an Internet forum can criticize another person for not being productive. Especially when you are arguing with random people on the internet about whether or not some band from a thousand years ago is overrated or not.

Get off your computer and do something productive with your time. :p

p.s. I don't like Pink Floyd.
p.p.s. U2 is the most overrated rock band in the history of the world.

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
Some random kiddie doesn't dig Floyd. And life goes on.
I don't get why they're so great either. I find them pretensious and (worse) boring.

And what else are we supposed to talk about in the music forum? If people can't criticize bands or their reputations, why bother?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

khristeeanos

Oct 25, 2007
Front Range, CO
✟7,696.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
The Beatles are the most over-rated. Pink Floyd is second.

^_^

That is just absurd!!!

You take the Beatles out of music before they become popular and none of the music that came after them would be the same.

Just ask 95% of the bands that are popular. Shesh. They all are inspired by the Beatles.

Upvote 0

IAmSethward

Jun 29, 2007
✟15,521.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Seriously. The Beatles have influenced music today in countless ways. And how is Pink Floyd overrated? Your argument that they are overrated is because some fans claim you can sync it to a movie, because you are a fan of only music you can dance to, and they were pretentious at times. Wow. Well, for one, music doesn't have to be something that you can dance to. I'm glad that you like to dance to your music, but you can also listen to music because you enjoy listening to it, not because you want to get up and dance. And not everyone is going to appreciate a band's lyrics and ideas. Then you just give the oh-so-true stereotype of the stupid, lazy teenager who does nothing haha are the types who listen to Pink Floyd. Haha, I know plenty of the exact same kinds of people who listen to "danceable" rock music. Yet, you never actually get to the band itself. Whether they good actually play their instruments. Whether they could write music properly. You don't call a band overrated because you simply don't agree with some of their ideas, have stereotypes about their fans, and you can't dance to their music (thats like me criticizing a boat that won't drive on land; it wasn't made to do that, just like Pink Floyd's music wasn't made to be danced to).

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
Beatleites everywhere said:
But the Bealtes have had a huge impact on later music!
So? They can't have a huge influence and be over-rated?

Something having influence on something or being it's direct predecessor does mean that thing was great itself or in proportion to it's influence, it just means later people took the good parts or changed something.

It says nothing of the quality of the original thing and does not prove teh greatness of the Beatles unless you want to commit a bandwagon fallacy.

Are you going to rag on not liking Jazz and Blues all that much next?:D Rock (and the Beatles) wouldn't exist without them right? :p

Upvote 0

khristeeanos

Oct 25, 2007
Front Range, CO
✟7,696.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
So? They can't have a huge influence and be over-rated?

I suppose it is possible, but when you ask the musicians who influenced them the most, more times than not it will be the Beatles.

Something having influence on something or being it's direct predecessor does mean that thing was great itself or in proportion to it's influence, it just means later people took the good parts or changed something.

While that is true, how many times has an artist covered a song from someone else and the cover came out better than the original?

I know it has happened a few times, but those are the exception rather than the rule.

It says nothing of the quality of the original thing and does not prove teh greatness of the Beatles unless you want to commit a bandwagon fallacy.

Are you going to rag on not liking Jazz and Blues all that much next?:D Rock (and the Beatles) wouldn't exist without them right? :p

It mainly started with Bill Monroe who gave birth to many modern forms of music with his fusion of gospel, blues, jazz, and other early forms of music when he invented Bluegrass music.

I am a huge fan of most types of music. I have XM and have spent hours listening to the music of the 20's-40's and really appreciate it very much. I grew up on classical as well and it remains my favorite form of music to this day.

Have a great day!!! :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

amishparadise

Jan 1, 2007
✟8,088.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't get why they're so great either. I find them pretensious and (worse) boring.

So, then, simply don't listen to them.

And what else are we supposed to talk about in the music forum?
Perhaps we could take up discussing positive things about bands we do like?

Reactions: RJAZ
Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
^
attachment.php

And Jon, whatever the (de)merits of Radhead's arguments are, at least he used more than 0 proper sentences, was coherant, and didn't resort to name calling.

jon-something's incoherant rant said:
ok next topic ideas are ideas and if you're a fan of pink floyd's you are impressed by the music and emotions of the songs that beings with the ideas not the ideas because you ethier like ideas or you don't and you also say you that some don't understand then well obviously you don't ethier because youre not interested and i kno you will never care for it and apprantly pointless even though people are interested
:confused: Could you re-type this please?

So, then, simply don't listen to them

I don't. :)

Perhaps we could take up discussing positive things about bands we do like?
Perhaps we could have people not take things so personally/seriously and recognize others have different tastes rather than cutting out half of the discussion?

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,643.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
at least he used more than 0 proper sentences

And he had paragraph breaks. The lack of them is one of the things I find annoying about online discussions, and I simply refuse to read a long continuous block of text.
[/rant]

Back on-topic, I think that saying that Pink Floyd is the "most over-rated rock band in the history of the world" is a little extreme. There are a lot of other bands who have been built up as the next big thing only to crash and burn. Pink Floyd at least have close on 30 years' worth of albums behind them.

I do think that a lot of people don't look much beyond the Wall or DSOTM. After all, those are the albums that the "hits" came from, but personally I think that Animals and Wish You Were Here are better albums. I also think that the concept behind the Wall is something that is cool when you're a teenager, but loses its attraction as you get older.

But I guess it comes down to a simple fact - if you don't like a band that a lot of other people do, then to you they're going to be over-rated.

Upvote 0