Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Evidence of understanding of the issue.

I understand it's complicated and nuanced, but the published papers don't seem to shy away from the use of those terms as you seem to, so it's not clear what if any difference there is between your position and their position, or your position and mine in the first place.

Whatever the difference, I think we'd both have to agree that "rudimentary intelligence" doesn't require a "brain".

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,861.00
Faith
Atheist
... I think we'd both have to agree that "rudimentary intelligence" doesn't require a "brain".
That would depend on what you mean by 'intelligence' in that context, i.e. which definition you're using - and that usually depends on the context; e.g. saying some plant or unicellular organism behaviour displays 'rudimentary intelligence' invokes a different meaning from saying your dog displays 'rudimentary intelligence'.

The key is to take an appropriate meaning from the context.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
That would depend on what you mean by 'intelligence' in that context, i.e. which definition you're using - and that usually depends on the context; e.g. saying some plant or unicellular organism behaviour displays 'rudimentary intelligence' invokes a different meaning from saying your dog displays 'rudimentary intelligence'.

The key is to take an appropriate meaning from the context.

It's all relative of course, but even single celled organisms can seek out and maintain a balanced diet, solve mazes, predict hot/cold cycles and change their behaviors accordingly. Those are all pretty neat tricks for organisms without a brain.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,861.00
Faith
Atheist
It's all relative of course, but even single celled organisms can seek out and maintain a balanced diet, solve mazes, predict hot/cold cycles and change their behaviors accordingly. Those are all pretty neat tricks for organisms without a brain.
Not 'tricks', survival strategies.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0