Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
What is the Orthodox Church's view on physical and mental/emotional illness? Does the healing need to come from both God and doctors? IE receiving medicine and also receiving divine medicine (ie. Confession, Holy Communion)
Forgive me if I sound awkward :p I just know that the Eastern view is different than the west on many things...:)

Thanks!!! :D

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Broadly speaking, one should always bring concerns before God in prayer. Confession is not for the healing of the physical body (including the brain), because individual illnesses are not generally seen as the result of individual sins. That said, the rite of Holy Unction (healing) does include many prayers for the healing of the soul, since any corruption of the body is the result of our categorical separation from God's Eternal Life. The rite of Unction ought to be practiced in the community of the Church, since our separation from one another is an additional resulting tragedy of illness. Healing our isolation from God and from one another are major components of the rite; if God chooses to perform a miraculous healing for His Glory, then we celebrate that. There are many such stories in our hagiography and most parishes have plenty of miracle stories sitting just beneath the surface if you ask with enough sincerity. Americans sometimes get the willies at miracle stories, though, so sometimes it takes a bit of poking. But they are there, because God is active in His Church.

That said, if one is sick, one should seek healing from physicians specializing in the illness. If the sickness is of the body, then one should seek help from doctors of the body; if it is of the mind, then one should seek help from psychiatrists or psychologists; if it is of the soul, then one should seek help from an experienced doctor of the soul.

So generally, Orthodox Christians seek and use medical expertise. Many Orthodox Christians are doctors and nurses (great service professions!), psychologists, psychiatrists, and teachers (doctors of the mind and intellect). Most succinctly, we welcome God's intervention on the terms God chooses to provide it; if that intervention comes through the loving hand of our sister or brother (a doctor), then glory to God - if it comes through direct Divine action as the result of prayer, then glory to God.

Ultimately, though, all such healing is temporary. We all die. We all must die, so that we may be made alive in Christ and Christ alone. Without that death, we humans rather stubbornly hang on to the illusion of our self-determination and self-control, and in the presence of such illusions God's activity is stymied by our pride.

In Christ,
Macarius

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
heeling comes from however God chooses to heal us. it can be done through the life of the Church. prayers, the Eucharist, unction, etc have all been known to heal people both mental and physical sickness. that being said, God also made the human mind and the plants and chemicals that we use to heal through modern medicine.

so I would say we use both. most folks I know will tell their priest whatever is ailing them for a blessing, and also see a doctor. either way the person is healed, the healing comes from the Great Physician

Upvote 0

ob77

Jun 1, 2014
✟470.00
Faith
Christian
Luke was a medical doctor. Would he refuse to treat someone? I think not. There are things we can avoid that cause disease and things which are unforeseen that we cannot.
Flesh is not perfect and bad things happen to good people as well as the bad.
Sometimes through ignorance, people get an ailment and they want God to heal them. There are things that people bring upon themselves by not living as God intended and there are those who are afflicted by things outside of that. I do not wish anyone to suffer through an illness brought about by the violation of God's law and I do not wish to have anyone suffer through ailments not caused by any violation.
Flesh is flesh and things happen. Sometimes by prayer, we can be healed, others not.
This is not because we love a cruel God. When a baby is lost in birth or before that, it may very well be that that soul was highly regarded by God, to let that one go through the flesh and the turmoil and anguish and strife that living here can bring. We pass through the flesh but once. When we pass, we are in paradise occupying new bodies that do not age or wither or suffer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Luke was a medical doctor. Would he refuse to treat someone? I think not. There are things we can avoid that cause disease and things which are unforeseen that we cannot.
Flesh is not perfect and bad things happen to good people as well as the bad.
Sometimes through ignorance, people get an ailment and they want God to heal them. There are things that people bring upon themselves by not living as God intended and there are those who are afflicted by things outside of that. I do not wish anyone to suffer through an illness not brought about by the violation of God's law and I do not wish to have anyone suffer through ailments not caused by any violation.
Flesh is flesh and things happen. Sometimes by prayer, we can be healed, others not.
This is not because we love a cruel God. When a baby is lost in birth or before that, it may very well be that that soul was highly regarded by God, to let that one go through the flesh and the turmoil and anguish and strife that living here can bring. We pass through the flesh but once. When we pass, we are in paradise occupying new bodies that do not age or wither or suffer.
Thanks! :)
It reminds me of Sirach 38.

Upvote 0