Philosophy

pace

Jun 5, 2002
Visit site
✟8,995.00
Faith
Agnostic
Originally posted by Doubting Thomas
Have you read Moore and Russell, pace? If so, the next step is Wittgenstein.

If you've already read Wittgenstein, pardon my presumption. If you haven't, you're in for an extremely interesting experience.

Yes, I'm expecting alot of cool stuff from alot of things really :)

But no, I've not read him yet. Probably will, but I will be reading Spinozas Ethics first among others.

Upvote 0

pace

Jun 5, 2002
Visit site
✟8,995.00
Faith
Agnostic
Originally posted by Mephster
Would suggest reading G.E.M. Anscombe's translation/commentaries on Wittgenstein instead of jumping right into L.W.

The interests here (and readings) seem a bit scattered....... how come?

Hehe, I guess there are lots of oppinions when it comes to philosophy eh ?

But anyway I got kinda interested reading about Martin Heidegger also, and his phenomenon-ontology. You know, when I read about that I thought "Hm, but that's abit more like how women are isn't it ? :) " Basicly when I read P.H. Of the newer, I marked myself Kierkegaard, Heidegger, Wittgenstein, Spinoza, Hume and Kant specially. Looking forward to em all :) Oh, and why the logical empirists trust so darn it much in their Logical terms I want ro read more about also..

Should Semantics be a more clear science ? And maybe a school subject soon ?

Actually I also marked myself Cusanus. I found it a bit funny that nobody I spoke to had heard about him. As he supposedly helped Leonardo da Vinci among others, and had some very clear and futuristic 'right' ideas :) (he was a bishop)

Upvote 0

Lanakila

Not responsible for the changes here.
Jun 12, 2002
Nestled in the Gorgeous Montana Mountains
Visit site
✟25,473.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Here is a Christian Philosopher's website: http://www.leaderu.com/

They have many articles from some modern Christian Philosophers. Willaim Lane Craig and and J. P Moreland are two of my favorites. My favorite is my husband although he isn't published yet, he is minus his disertation of his PHD in Philosophy.

Upvote 0

Mephster

arete
Jan 30, 2003
South Carolina
Visit site
✟8,317.00
Faith
Muslim
Politics
US-Others
W.L. Craig's pretty good, but I can't say I've read much of him. I do think he did a decent job with the "Kalam Argument" stuff. There's not much done in that area, so he really did some groundwork. It'll prolly be chewed up in a decade or two.  Alongside Craig, I'd suggest reading Herbert McCabe (esp. his book: "God Matters").

I've met D.Z. Phillips and Rev. Fergus Kerr and they are both great chaps - though the latter is rather tedious.  At the Spindel Conference this year I was pretty dismayed by the papers presented, though. I have another conference in February that I'll be going to, I have high expectations for it *S*

My own interests are obvious - I'm a Thomist. (not an analytic or transcendental Thomist, either).  I, of course, do Medieval and Ancient a great deal. Though recently I had to teach a Contemporary Moral Issues class. It was nice, but not something I'd like to do more of, honestly. 

Upvote 0

dnich163

dnich163
Mar 8, 2002
Glasgow, Scotland
Visit site
✟743.00
Faith
Catholic
Thomism is certainly having a revival. Philosophers like Frederic Copleston SJ, as already stated earlier, are great reading for those studying Philosophy in general and Aquinas in particular.
There is an excellent writer currently in Scotland called Fergus Kerr OP.
His writings on and knowledge of people like Wittgenstien, Descartes, and a whole host of other Philosophers is truly admirable.

David

Upvote 0