Philosophy vs Faith?

Anthony

Generic Christian
Nov 2, 2002
Visit site
✟10,268.00
Faith
Christian
As we grow in our faith and have seen the strength to overcome sin, with the power of the holy spirit. As we have seen the work in ourselves, it can become a challenge on how to handle those weaker or further behind in their walk.

Question: How do you deal with people which are in your congregation, which you have relationships which, which continue to have affairs, and use inappropriate contentograhy? Do you continue to rebuke them over and over?

inrsoul

Veteran
Dec 1, 2004
Singapore
Visit site
✟9,678.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I've learned not to be too quick to judge. I am often frustrated by my fiancee's often lack of faith but after a while I did come to realise that only God can change a person's heart not me. When we try to take up that role, we end up enforcing our own ideals/faith levels down their throats and that always trigger a gag-reflex. So right now, I am not too frustrated with the things I cannot change, but I believe and trust that God will come in and touch her heart. Praise Jesus...

For brothers or sisters in the congregation actively and openly involved in affairs, I'm sure the elders will definitely be on top of their case! Question is: why would a person who already knows much grace still sin much?

Reactions: BarbB
Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Question: How do you deal with people which are in your congregation, which you have relationships which, which continue to have affairs, and use inappropriate contentograhy? Do you continue to rebuke them over and over?

Well, has the rebuking them over and over again worked?

Some people are genuinely trying to quit, but they can't, becos it's a bondage. I mean, its not called a bondage for nothing. For such people, they should still be welcome in church, becos they are seeking grace and help to change. And only God can free them.

But if someone is doing it without remorse and doesnt care to change, the leadership should confront them privately, deal with them and kick them out if necessary.

Upvote 0

Johnny Be Good

If you have not love...
Jun 17, 2004
Waynesville, Missouri
Visit site
✟1,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's the goodness of God that leads men to repentance. Care about them. You're right--you cannot change them. Only God can. To help them, you must care about them. Share God's goodness, not the devil's condemnation. The Holy Spirit is perfectly capable of convicting their hearts--they don't need you on the devil's side.

:eek:

Upvote 0

songbird88

Oct 9, 2004
Visit site
✟686.00
Faith
Christian
Anthony said:
As we grow in our faith and have seen the strength to overcome sin, with the power of the holy spirit. As we have seen the work in ourselves, it can become a challenge on how to handle those weaker or further behind in their walk.

People do not overcome the draw of sin by condemnation or guilt. If our goal is to bring them to righteousness, then we should use the scriptural methods for helping them.

People overcome sin by faith:

1 John 5:4
For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, [even] our faith.
People who sin already know they are wrong. Their conscience is burning them up. They are filled with great sorrow in their spirit about what is happening. They just do not see anyway out.

Faith draws people in and calls them to the throne of grace. Guilt, condemnation, and fear drives them away.
When we get done letting them know that the sin is wrong, then lets be sure we show them that there is a way out. You can completely overcome sin and the world by faith.

Upvote 0