Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yep, I might be in the middle of a wager myself. The thing is to truly believe rather than go through the motions and try to trick a higher power.
Yeah, I think it may be a bit difficult to "trick the Maker." But, in all actuality, I think Pascal was just recommending that you do what you're now doing--that is, placing yourself in a position which may facilitate your opportunity to find faith in Christ. It's kind of like being deathly thirsty. In such a case, the desert is the last place you'd reasonably put yourself if you want to find a drink of water. ;)

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Dirk1540

Site Supporter
Sep 19, 2015
Jersey
✟778,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
To make a long story short: I found the services tedious and unconvincing...I'm hoping to join a church where people are
focused on ideas and where each service gives us food for thought

One of my favorite all time 'Food for thought' series on why Jesus is who Christians say he is is an oldie but goodie, a 20 year old DVD series by John Ankerberg called 'How To Conquer The Fear Of Not Knowing What To Say To Non-Christian Friends'...very articulate and very in touch with the objections that cause people to doubt.
Ruien, for the record I contacted Ankerberg's store asking them why they discontinued that series. They didn't they renamed it! I actually am glad they renamed it because I found the original title to be peculiar, it has nothing to do with being nervous or afraid of people. Anyway it's now titled 'If Jesus Wasn't God He Deserved An Oscar.'

If you wanted to have a nice intro to an evidence based church service for yourself conveniently on DVD that seems to be right up your alley. Actually MP4 video download is only $5

https://www.jashow.org/resources/if-jesus-wasn-t-god-then-he-deserved-an-oscar.html

• Useful
Reactions: Ruien
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
My question is: Which denominations are known for being philosophical, i.e. the services are more like expositions than testimonials, and the focus is on education and enlightenment rather than (just) community?
The more traditional Reformation churches emphasize sermons that interpret and apply Scripture. They also tend to be more theological. I'm most familiar with Presbyterian, but I'd guess Lutheran. Also many Anglican / Episcopal, though they're also more liturgical.

Within a denomination, congregations vary on the intellectual level. You'll tend to find more intellectual emphasis in larger churches or in college towns, but really it varies.

Note that all of these denominations have conservative and liberal variants. Conservative are more likely to reject critical scholarship, though they may still be intellectually rigorous.

• Useful
Reactions: Ruien
Upvote 0

Ruien

Aug 11, 2017
Mt Vernon
✟20,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The more traditional Reformation churches emphasize sermons that interpret and apply Scripture. They also tend to be more theological. I'm most familiar with Presbyterian, but I'd guess Lutheran. Also many Anglican / Episcopal, though they're also more liturgical.

Within a denomination, congregations vary on the intellectual level. You'll tend to find more intellectual emphasis in larger churches or in college towns, but really it varies.

Note that all of these denominations have conservative and liberal variants. Conservative are more likely to reject critical scholarship, though they may still be intellectually rigorous.
Thank you. Useful considerations!

Upvote 0

Ruien

Aug 11, 2017
Mt Vernon
✟20,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ruien, for the record I contacted Ankerberg's store asking them why they discontinued that series. They didn't they renamed it! I actually am glad they renamed it because I found the original title to be peculiar, it has nothing to do with being nervous or afraid of people. Anyway it's now titled 'If Jesus Wasn't God He Deserved An Oscar.'

If you wanted to have a nice intro to an evidence based church service for yourself conveniently on DVD that seems to be right up your alley. Actually MP4 video download is only $5

https://www.jashow.org/resources/if-jesus-wasn-t-god-then-he-deserved-an-oscar.html
Thanks! I will check this out.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's been a bit, so you may have settled by now. But may I throw in Messianic Judaism? Some congregations/synagogues/groups are more or less like a general Non-denominational church, but there are some real gems that are closer to Judaism in terms of study of the Torah and supporting body of literature (Talmud, etc.). Judaism is known for study, deep study, of the Torah and philosophical arguments around it, there are literally volumes of Midarash on the Torah. I would point you to First Fruits of Zion for literature (www.ffoz.org) and Beth Immanuel (http://bethimmanuel.org/)for some great free podcasts and information on Messianic Judaism. Most of us do not consider ourselves "Christian" but rather followers of Judaism that believer Yeshua (Jesus) is the Messiah. There are some rather profound theological differences, but we are followers of Christ non-the-less.

Upvote 0